PDA

View Full Version : Best after market laser guide?

Paul Erickson
02-28-2008, 5:36 AM
I'm thinking of adding a laser guide to my Delta chop saw. Any opinions as to which of them is the best?

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul

aaron welton
02-28-2008, 6:30 AM
think mine is a irwin, replaces blade nut, just remember light is right beside where blade cuts, takes some getting used to. Aaron

Eric Haycraft
02-28-2008, 8:33 AM
I'm thinking of adding a laser guide to my Delta chop saw. Any opinions as to which of them is the best?

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul

Ditto on the Irwin. It seems to go on sale often and is sometimes given away with blades. I usually line it up like 1/32 over the line and get perfect cuts. Very nice addition to my saw.

Ed Peters
02-28-2008, 6:26 PM
"Laser Kerf" saw guide and wouldn't think of using anything else. First, you buy it based on the width of your blade. Then, when it is mounted, it shows the actual saw kerf. The beauty of this is that the guide works for either side of the blade. Additioally, it does not require the blade to be spinning for the light to operate. That is a big plus when you are doing finished trim.

Ed

glenn bradley
02-28-2008, 6:49 PM
Irwin is inexpensive and well reviewed (my dad likes his). Laser Kerf is more but much more developed.

Paul Erickson
02-28-2008, 6:49 PM
"Laser Kerf" saw guide and wouldn't think of using anything else. First, you buy it based on the width of your blade. Then, when it is mounted, it shows the actual saw kerf. The beauty of this is that the guide works for either side of the blade. Additioally, it does not require the blade to be spinning for the light to operate. That is a big plus when you are doing finished trim.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the response. As it turns out, the Irwin will not work with my saw because they require an arbor bolt, and mine has a nut... Will look into the "Laser Kerf".

Thanks again.

cheers, Paul

Harry Hagan
02-29-2008, 1:18 AM
I bought a Laser Kerf for my Dewalt saw and it worked great for my first project. The second time I put it to use I noticed something wasn't quite right and discovered that sawdust coming off the blade had broken the material covering the laser (glass or clear plastic).

To have the laser indicate exactly where the blade cuts it is mounted directly behind the blade in harm's way. Not a good idea when the unit isn't designed to take the abuse. I considered paying to have the unit repaired, but knowing the same thing could happen again with the next cut—bad idea.

The Laser Kerf website shows units like the one I purchased. Unless the product has been upgraded to withstand being blasted with sawdust on every cut, I would definitely NOT recommend the unit.

Dave Bureau
02-29-2008, 6:54 AM
It kind of defeats the purpose of a laser if its 1/32 away from the cut. just my opinion. I got a laser on my Hitachi that is dead nuts. only reads on one side of the blade though. I also have one on my ridgid. that is useless.

Rich Engelhardt
02-29-2008, 7:57 AM
Hello,
I have a number of tools - CMS, DP, jigsaw and circ saw that have lasers.
I never use any of them. - well the DP one sometimes - but when I get around to making a decent table for it, my guess is the laser won't be used anymore.

I've become a real fan of a high quality stop-block system over a laser for most tools.