PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Books

John Finley
02-27-2008, 10:09 PM
I am just starting to get serious about woodworking and have been learning a ton from this website. So first, thanks for all of the info. Second, can any of you recommend some good books to get me started on the basics of finishing.

My current project is a walnut bed. I am a little intimidated by all of the finishing techniques. From the sounds of things, an oil (BLO or Danish) rub, then shellac finish is a good starting point. I plan on trying different combinations on scrap, but I am a little nervous about technique. Also, I don't have a good plan for a finishing schedule (as far as when and how fine to sand). Anyway, I am hoping that a book can give me some good guidelines for this and future projects.

John Hain
02-27-2008, 10:16 PM
"Finishing"
by Jeff Jewitt; part of the Taunton's illustrated guide series.

Amazon will have them; buy a used one and don't be afraid to get it dirty in the shop.

Chris Muirhead
02-27-2008, 10:32 PM
I would recommend a book titled "Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner. This is an excellent book and will give you the lay of the land in finishing.

Ken Baker
02-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Buy Jeff Jewitt's book from him at homestead finishing and he autographs it.

I bought equipment and the book from him, it's hard to find a more helpful guy than Jeff

Joe Chritz
02-28-2008, 1:00 AM
All of those books are very good and you should read them all.

It is however, difficult to learn to finish anything without just going and doing it. Try a couple finishes on small projects or scrap pieces and see what you think.

Try to concentrate on one type of finish method at a time. Spray, brush wiping or whatever you chose. It is hard to beat a wiping varnish like Waterlox for ease and quality. I haven't used it on walnut though but I imaging it would be very fine indeed.

Joe

Sam Yerardi
02-28-2008, 8:04 AM
John,

I recommend the books they've mentioned above - Flexner's and Jewitt's. Also, books/articles by Michael Dresdner and articles written by Chris Minick in Fine Woodworking. Among those four, you won't find better advice anywhere. Epecially, Minick, as he is a finish chemist by profession.

Bryan Somers
02-28-2008, 7:01 PM
John I have both books by Jewitt and Flexner and as still very much a rookie I find that Bob Flexners is easier for me to understand.

glenn bradley
02-28-2008, 7:07 PM
All the names I would have mentioned have been covered. Jewitt is a wizard and you will catch me referenceing his articles frequently but I find Dresdner is a little more down to earth in his presentation.