PDA

View Full Version : throw tops

Mel Reed
02-27-2008, 9:59 PM
Hi All,
To day I made a throw top it looks just like it should.I wraped the string right toss it I can't make it spinn.Can anyone help me out?
Thanks Mel Reed:(

Thanks Everyone,Today I got a throw top from an antique store.I used the string I had for my top and it worked very well.So I cut a new string for my top about one and a half feet longer that was the problem works just fine now.

Reed Gray
02-28-2008, 1:18 AM
I tried several of them, and never could get one to spin right. I tried several shapes, and mirrored one that came from a store, with the same results. I have no idea.
robo hippy

Scott Lux
02-28-2008, 8:50 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words. Or at least a couple hundred. Can we see a pic of the tops? It may be technique too.

Ed Davidson
02-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Mel,

This place might help: http://www.topspinning.com/ ...how you hold (upside down) and release (wrist flick) the top is the key to a good spin.

Judy Kingery
02-28-2008, 3:36 PM
Mel, Ed's gotcha covered - my Dad used to make them for us as kids and I've made I don't know how many I've turned now, probably close to 60 or so. Lots of fun and yep that's how you throw them, wrap the string correctly, upside down and a quick pull back with your arm/wrist on release. It'll automatically land right side up and spin for a long time. It's great fun, wish you luck! Jude

John K Jordan
02-28-2008, 9:49 PM
Mel, Ed's gotcha covered...

Also, Craft Supplies has a handy one-page PDF page on making and spinning a throwing top:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/pdfs/throw_top.pdf
I print this out and give the instruction quarter away with the top.

I found this long ago and it's still there, but I have no idea how to find it through the web site!

JKJ

Curt Fuller
02-28-2008, 10:05 PM
A couple years ago I made a throw top. I took it out in my garage to try it out. I usually leave the door up about a foot so the cats can go in and out. I threw the top, it bounce off a few things, went flying under the door and into the darkness. I never have found it. That was my first and last attempt at a throw top.

Mark Paulley
02-29-2008, 3:11 PM
Curt,
I laughed really hard with your story. Good thing I was not drinking anything or it would have shot out my nose!! Thanks for the chuckle!!!!!

John,
Thanks for the instructions.
Mark