PDA

View Full Version : Belt sanders

jason lambert
02-27-2008, 8:37 PM
What are ppeople using for a belt sander. My fathor would like me to gt a belt sander for the shop, he didn't specify vertical or horizontal. Anyhow are there any combo units out there, I just started my search.

Bob Rufener
02-27-2008, 9:39 PM
You didn't specify if you wanted a portable or not. I assume you want a non portable. Most people get a combination unit that has a disk and a belt. A fairly common size is a 6" or 9" disc and a 4 x 36, or 6 x 48 belt. I have one and use it frequently. Obviously, there are some tasks that are much easier done with a hand held belt sander. Various sizes available
including 3 x 21 and 4 x 24. Keep in mind that the 24 is the total circumference of the belt so your sanding surface is not that big.

If you go with a combination unit, I would suggest going with as large a unit as you have space for and can afford.

There are also smaller ones and much larger ones. A good place to get an idea as to what is out there is here: http://grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=disc%20sander

There are many manufacturers out there. This is just one of them.

Hope this helps.

Bill Huber
02-27-2008, 9:42 PM
I am not sure which type sander you want but for the bench... I like the Ridgid.

I have a little Delta with the 6 inch disk on it and it sets on the bench and just gets dusty now that I have my Ridgid.

I bought a Ridgid Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle sander and I really like it a lot. I guess some of the things I like about it are, I can sand things square and I can also put my Incra V27 miter gauge on it and sand 45s or any angle I need.
The table also tilts down to a 45 also which make it nice for larger boards that I want to sand at a 45.
The spindle sander works well but I will have to say I have not use it all that much only 3 or 4 times. When I did use it, it did the job very well and is very easy to switch back to the belt.

The only bad thing I can say is the DC is not that good on it but its better then nothing.

Mike Heidrick
02-27-2008, 10:01 PM
I have a 4X24 Makita portable and the Shopsmith 6X48 stationary. I would like one of those new small Porter Cable belt sanders.

jason lambert
02-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Not Portable!

Sorry have to be more specific I already have a bosh 4" portable belt sander I am looking for a bench top or floor standing unit. Space is at a premium in my 1.5 car garage shop so if it is not to big that would be nice but I don't want to sacrifice functionally.

Quick changing belts is also a necessity but I am sure that is not a problem.

Bill Huber
02-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Not Portable!

Sorry have to be more specific I already have a bosh 4" portable belt sander I am looking for a bench top or floor standing unit. Space is at a premium in my 1.5 car garage shop so if it is not to big that would be nice but I don't want to sacrifice functionally.

Quick changing belts is also a necessity but I am sure that is not a problem.

Well I will still go with the Ridgid, here is mine (on the right) on the bench, it doesn't take much space for what it does.

J. Z. Guest
02-27-2008, 11:38 PM
I have the 3x18 Makita handheld, $100 at Home Depot.

When I need to use it in stationary mode, I just gently clamp it down sideways.

I've been very happy with this simple-but-high-quality and hard-working, tool.

George Sanders
02-28-2008, 4:21 AM
I had an old B+D portable sander for years and it finally died. I now have a PC portable and I really like it. I was very lucky to buy an old Craftsman stationary 6x48 sander with a 9" disk. What a difference that made. Portables have their purpose but they just don't compare to a stationary.

Lance Norris
02-28-2008, 1:44 PM
I have the Jet 6x48" belt 9"disc w/open stand. I like it alot. It has a 3/4 horse motor, which I feel is plenty. Larger sanders have more horsepower, but this Jet cant be stopped.

http://www.amazon.com/JET-708596K-JSG-96OS-Horsepower-115-Volt/dp/B000063INV

Frank Orzehoski
02-28-2008, 3:18 PM
I have a 4X24 Makita portable and the Shopsmith 6X48 stationary. I would like one of those new small Porter Cable belt sanders.

Hi Mike,

I have the small Porter Cable Belt Sander and it is a great addtion to the line up.

Dave Lehnert
02-28-2008, 4:38 PM

Mike!

How do you like the Shopsmith unit. Thinking about adding one to my MarkV

Jim Shipman
02-28-2008, 4:51 PM
I agree with Lance, have the Jet and use it all the time, have not had an underpower issue..

Mike Heidrick
02-28-2008, 4:56 PM
Mike!

How do you like the Shopsmith unit. Thinking about adding one to my MarkV

Dave if you can find one at a great price it is a quality quality investmment. I leave mine on its own powerstation 100% of the time. They are one of the true Shopsmith gems in my opinion.

Randal Stevenson
02-28-2008, 4:58 PM
I know the Hitachi SB10Y has got some decent reviews by people that I know purchased it, and over at Amazon. Lowe's carries it for around the same, non sale price as Amazon (it just went off sale of course).
I had been looking at various ones for a bit, when my father rigged up a stand to hold our belt sanders verticle (at the time mostly used to round over sharp edges). I also wanted one for metal work and when I bought one, I picked up the Multitool, that I believe Snap~on took over (Search for Jet Multitool). It is a narrower belt sander w/disc sander that goes on a bench grinder.

For the regular belt sander, I decided and bought (received yesterday), the Stockroom supply v sander.

There are lots of good options out there.