PDA

View Full Version : Brushing Lacquer Questions

Richard Madison
02-27-2008, 8:20 PM
Given that the cost of spray can lacquer really grows as the size of the work increases, what do y'all think of brushing lacquer? Are drips and runs a difficult problem? And can you just dip small items like stoppers? Thanks for your help

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2008, 8:34 PM
Richard,

I use Deft brushing lacquer on my bottle stoppers. I friction it on just like a friction polish. I have a small jar with a brush in the lid. I cover the bed of the lathe with a clean paper towel. At a slow speed, brush it on. Then after waiting 90 seconds or so friction it with a paper towel. I thin the lacquer in the jar with lacquer thinner because if it gets to thick you can get runs. I often put on 3 coats as it really doesn't take long.

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Ditto what Ken said. I use the same process on smaller items. I have never tried it on bowls as I most generally use Antique Oil.

Richard Madison
02-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks Ken and Bernie. I was mostly wondering about use on larger bowls and vases. The directions on the one-quart cans, either Deft or maybe Minwax, say not to dilute it with thinner but don't think it said why.

Edit: Couple of interesting "Similar Threads" listed below.

Richard in Wimberley

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Richard....on my bowls I like to use Minwax Antique Oil. It's almost foolproof for me. I finish sanding.....through say 320-400. Blow the dust off with air. Wipe it with a clean paper towel. Wipe on the Antique oil. Keep it wet for about 10 minutes. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Wipe off the excess....Let it dry overnight. The next morning....do the inside.....That evening ...put the 2nd coat on the outside.......the next morning put the 2nd coat on the inside........Let it sit for a day or two and buff out......Works like a charm for me.

Richard Madison
02-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Ken,
Does it give a very glossy finish? Will have to look for some of your pictures. Years ago I usually went for the deep, glassy look; but not so much nowadays. I still like the high gloss, but it's just way too much work to get that "coated with liquid glass" look on everything. Still do it on a few small pieces, but not often.