PDA

View Full Version : Leather honing disk for Veritas MKII Power Sharpener

Frank Martin
02-27-2008, 7:30 PM
I would like to add a leather honing disk to the Veritas sharpener. I already have a spare plate, all I need is an 8-inch diameter leather suitable for honing. I have no idea where to source this stuff. My google search has not been fruitful.

Please let me know if you have any online sources or a local one in Chicago.

Thanks!

Jim Koepke
02-27-2008, 7:36 PM
There has to be a shoe repair shop somewhere near by Chicago. That is the first place I would look.

You might be able to get a thick enough piece that you do not need to glue it to a platter. If it has two good sides, you can even use different grits.

jim

Zahid Naqvi
02-27-2008, 7:53 PM
I have been told a piece of any soft wood (bass, walnut etc.) or even MDF are better at stropping than leather because leather will always have some give/flex in it and will round the edge enough to be noticeable.

Frank Martin
02-27-2008, 9:12 PM
Zahid,

You raise a very good point. I will give a try to MDF disk and see how that works out first.

lawrence rottersman
03-02-2008, 3:30 PM
Hi Zahid, I found leather scraps at a Thrift and used them to make a platter for my LV power sharpener and I haven't been impressed with the results, although I do think I did a good job of attaching the leather. So if you do get around to doing it, please let us know. Perhaps I didn't get it right, after all, although the bending issue is a real one, at least in my experience with straight razors. Larry R