PDA

View Full Version : CorelX3 corners

Paul Brinkmeyer
02-27-2008, 6:15 PM
When I draw a box and round the corners with the
corner roundness box on the top menu,
say to 25, they are not always
symmetrical. Any ideas on how this works?

Thanks

Scott Challoner
02-27-2008, 6:24 PM
Paul

Get the box the size you want it and then use the square tool to redraw another box on top of the first one by picking two opposite corners. Then apply the radius and delete the original box.

A little awkward, I know, but it works.

Barb Macdonald
02-27-2008, 6:53 PM
"Round the corners together"? Draw the box, and choose the same number for all four corners? You can round just one corner, or all at once?
Am I missing something?
:o
B

Tom Bull
02-27-2008, 9:00 PM
There is a guy on YouTube that does Corel Draw tutorials, Alexisgalvez, just go to YouTube and search Corel Draw and his name. He has a turorial that does several (3?) ways of rounding corners and he explains the value of using each. Sorry don't know exact URL of the video.

Mike DeRegnaucourt
02-27-2008, 9:09 PM
Not sure if I'm missing something but when rounding corners on a square/rectangle, if you make sure the "Pad Lock" symbol is selected near the corner roundness figures, this will force them to all be the same.

I hope this helps.

Scott Shepherd
02-27-2008, 9:23 PM
The problem he's speaking of, I believe, is when you drag and drop a box, let's say 4" x 6", then you go to the input box for the size and change the box size to 3" x 7".

When you use the corner rounding boxes, it will not give round corners. They will be distorted.

My only fix for that (and I do that all the time because I can't drag the boxes to the exact sizes I need) is to change the box to the right size, then use the fillet/chamfer toolbox to create the rounded corners.

Not sure what causes it, but it's been something I've been dealing with for a year now.

Paul Brinkmeyer
02-27-2008, 9:27 PM
Thanks. I have used the fillet/chamfer toolbox to create the rounded corners, but that is just a work around to me, and extra steps. Hopefully the corel guys can put some more light on this. Why does it wok OK sometimes, and not OK others??

Mike Null
02-27-2008, 9:33 PM
I agree with Scott's answer. It works if you don't change the box size after you round the corners.

Ray Mighells
02-27-2008, 10:18 PM
I do my corner radius with the Shape Tool. Just click it and pull one of the corners in to where you want it.

Jerry Allen
02-28-2008, 10:28 AM
When you draw a rectangle object it is originally 100% X, 100% Y, as shown on the property bar. After you scale using the horizontal and/or vertical drag nodes on the object, those two numbers will change. If they are not equal pecentages, the corner radii will also reflect that relationship, creating elliptical corners. If you drag from the corner nodes the scaling percentages scale the same. If you edit the scaling factors in the property bar so that both percentages become the same you will again get circular rather than elliptical corners.

That's why Scott's solution works. You are creating a new object which starts at 100%/100%. The chamfer-fillet-radius function does not work that way, and unfortunately does not allow choosing which intersections to modify, in addition to the fact that you have to interface with a docker.

Richard Rumancik
02-28-2008, 11:29 AM
I would have thought this problem would have been fixed by now. This has come up before. I am still using CorelDraw 11 and my solution is to use a free download (plug-in) called Rect-It from Isocalc.com .
http://www.isocalc.com/cooltools/rectit.htm

It allows you to specify the radii of each corner separately or else make all the same.

But I can't guarantee it will work with X3. You might also search for other plug-ins that do something similar if you can't make X3 do what you want.

Also try
http://www.oberonplace.com/

Corel was designed by artists for artists, so a lot of things are done for visual presentation, not like strict engineering or technical illustration programs.

Mike Null
02-28-2008, 11:59 AM
I believe however you do it you must get to the size you want before rounding the corners. If you change the dimensions after rounding the corners you will not have a constant radius.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
02-29-2008, 2:38 PM
When you draw a rectangle object it is originally 100% X, 100% Y, as shown on the property bar....

Correct...DRAW sees the object at the original size, rounds the corners and then stretches it..which produces elongated corners.

A quick fix is to undo the rounding and use Fillet/Chamfer/Scallop...this is also handy as it has absolute units vs. the rectangle only support rounding in the % of the longest axis.

A second quick fix is to have only that rectangle selected and then hold the shift key and double click on the rectangle tool...this will create a new rectangle the same size as the original one....delete the original one and the round the corners of the new one.

T.

Roy Brewer
03-01-2008, 11:17 PM
I have used the fillet/chamfer toolbox to create the rounded corners, but that is just a work around to me, and extra steps. All,

I, for one, am ecstatic with the control and creativity of the X3 Fillet/Scallop/Chamfer dialog. I hope you don't consider me too much of a smart aleck, but if you tell me you consider this a work around, I'm telling you that you have not spent any time with this terrific tool.
The ability to:
1) provide absolute radius instead of a percentage (positively required if you're reading from a blueprint).
2) select any number of nodes and apply the effect(contrary to another post)
3) create scallop (surely you've needed that and it was incredibly difficult before X3; 5 seconds now instead of 80 seconds if showing off!).
4) apply fillets, scallops, chamfers to non rectangles (triangles, polygons, scanned/traced outlines...)
5) apply fillets, scallops, chamfers to unclosed shapes
6)apply multiple specs (fillet the scallops, scallop the fillet, fillet the chamfer, etc, etc. ) Talk about creativity, Wow!

While we have needed &/or desired everyone of these new capabilities for a long time, but IMHO to say that it has "not been fixed yet" is almost heresy. Surely you, like me, occasionally need the old functionality to create precise elliptical arc corners instead of radius corners; don't take that away from us! (Please, Tony/Corel Corp, don't *fix* that!)

Jerry Allen
03-02-2008, 3:55 AM
Roy,
Thanks for the tips, especially items 2 and 6.

Paul Brinkmeyer
03-02-2008, 9:34 AM
All,

I, for one, am ecstatic with the control and creativity of the X3 Fillet/Scallop/Chamfer dialog. I hope you don't consider me too much of a smart aleck, but if you tell me you consider this a work around, I'm telling you that you have not spent any time with this terrific tool.

Roy, I do use the Fillet/Scallop/Chamfer dialog and have this open most of the time. But when I am just drawing a box and need a quick radius on all four corners, going to a box on the top menu is a lot quicker than using the Fillet/Scallop/Chamfer dialog. Every tool has it's place. I just wanted to know if the rounding tool had more options than I knew about.

Tony, thanks for your input.

Vicky Orsini
03-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Thank you ALL for your input. This issue has been bugging me for quite a while now, but I never got around to asking the group for input. :)

Scott Shepherd
03-02-2008, 10:20 AM
I must be missing all this power of the fillet tool.

Let's say I need a rectangle 8" x 10" and it needs to have a 1/2" radius on 2 corners.

I can't drag out a 7" x 11" box, go to the input box and enter 8" x 10" in the box size, then use the corner rounding feature, because of the previous stated problem.

If I do resize the box to the proper size, pick the fillet/scallop tool, it does the entire box, and then I have to start editing it, welding objects, or deleting nodes, or something to that effect.

In my opinion, the fillet tool needs to have more control, like a CAD program. If I want 2 lines to have a fillet, I should be able to click on the 2 lines, then fillet. With that tool, it's all or nothing, unless I'm missing something, which is quite possible.

Jerry Allen
03-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Scott,
You have to go to the node edit tool first and then select the nodes at the corners you want. (implied by Roy's post).

I also meant to thank Tony for the great tip on dupping a rectangle.

Note that after using the fillet docker, that corners still stretch if you scale an object in one direction. Okay if you know how to deal with it, or want that to happen.

Jerry Allen
03-02-2008, 11:08 AM
I just found a bug--both X3 and X4.
If you create a rectangle and use the fillet docker to create a scallop or chamfer, then close Draw, the next time you run and use the docker, the last function you used will happen even though the docker always comes up as Fillet in the Operation selection dropdown.
The short version: the last operation, scallop or chamfer, is saved, but the Operation dropdown is not updated.

Abdul Baseer Hai
03-02-2008, 5:30 PM
I have always had this problem with corel. i.e making boxes to exact dimensions but then realizing that the corners are not perfectly scaled.
I have always have had perfect results by using a utility GMS VBA file.
This file, when run, rescales the rectancgle perfectly.

Here's how it goes
Save the .GMS file in your GMS directory which normally should be saved here:
C/programs files/corel/coreldrawgraphicssuite13/Draw/GMS

Resize your rectangle to the desired dimension
Select the rectangle
Go to tools
select Visual Basic from the drop down
Select play from the flyout
Click on VBA project
Select "Unscale rectangle" from the drop down menu
Click on Run
Bingo
your rectangle corners are perfectly scaled

I am going to attach the .GMS utility to this message but if it does not go through then anyone can send me a personal message and I will be glad to oblige
Abdul

Jerry Allen
03-02-2008, 8:54 PM
Abdul, Tony's tip does just that even if the rectangle is scaled with elliptical corners.
Just select the rectangle (you do not have to remove the corners), hold the Shift key, and double click the rectangle tool icon. A new rectangle appears unscaled, with no corners.