PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a lathe

David Gunn
02-27-2008, 5:27 PM
I am going to order a mini lathe. I had read several reviews on both, but would like your input as to which one to get.

Either the Turncrafter $158 on Amazon,
http://www.amazon.com/PSI-TCLPRO-Turncrafter-Horsepower-Woodworking/dp/B0006OC3GO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1204150942&sr=1-1

Or the Jet 1014I, $225 after rebate on Amazon,
http://www.amazon.com/JET-1014I-Inch-Indexing-Lathe/dp/B000MIR9JA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1204150942&sr=1-2

I could use the $67 dollar difference to get a HSS set of tools. I think the Turncrafter would be a good lathe, but I know the Jet will. I used the Jet to make my first pen. I was impressed with it, but I have read where people said the Turncrafter was just as good.

All opinions are welcome.

Brian Poor
02-27-2008, 5:59 PM
The Jet is a nice mini-lathe. I don't really think IMHO that any lathe in the same class as the Jet will give substantially better service.

Look at a bed extension for the Jet as well, it helps if you need the tailstock out of the way to do any faceplate work with normal length tools.

About tools, even if you are going to turning pens, I would steer around the really short gouges that get sold as pen turning tools; they do not have enough length to allow normal turning postures. Regular spindle gouges and skews are the way to fly - comfortably.

Mike A. Smith
02-27-2008, 6:15 PM
David I went through the same thing about a year ago and ended up with the Turncrafter. I've had zero problems with it and have turned quite a bit of stuff. I will be upgrading soon to a larger lathe but I have no regrets on the purchase. I admit the Jet is probably a higher quality product but the little PSI has worked for me.

Chris Stolicky
02-27-2008, 8:38 PM
I did a lot of research last fall on mini lathes. I finally decided on the Jet 1014i. I have made probably 60+ pens, a half-dozen bowls, 10 bottle stoppers, plus numerous others oopses!

It has been a great machine and I haven't second-guessed the purchase.

However, with that said, I almost wish I just saved a bit more and bought the 1220 so I had a larger swing. If you are like me, you will out grow pens quickly. Just because it has a 10" swing does not mean its exactly easy to turn something near that diameter. The tool rest get tricky with larger diameter pieces of wood.

Good luck.

John Shuk
02-27-2008, 8:38 PM
I've seen both and my choice would be the Jet.

Gordon Seto
02-27-2008, 8:41 PM
I would pick the Jet. It has good track record, high resale value. The 1220 has a 5-year warranty. If the 1014 has the same warranty, then it would seal the deal for me. When you buy from Amazon, all you have is factory service. Jet/Powermatic would have a lot more service centers for you to bring in for service if you need it. And their reputation for service is first rate, even after warranty.

glenn bradley
02-27-2008, 8:46 PM
I would pick the Rotex or the Domino . . . Ooops, sorry . . . wrong slope :D.

Dennis Peacock
02-28-2008, 12:52 AM
I would pick the Rotex or the Domino . . . Ooops, sorry . . . wrong slope :D.

ROFL!!!!!!! Ok glenn....get back on the correct side of the "slope". :D

Dennis Peacock
02-28-2008, 12:54 AM
David,

The Jet is a tough machine to beat....but like Mike, you will likely be upgrading in short order. But hey......looks who'd talking here. Someone who's got a nice BIG lathe and wishes he had a Jet VS Mini for he and his son to turn with from time to time. ;)

Dave Stoler
02-28-2008, 4:54 AM
I would go with the jet. I have the 1220 and am truely impressed with it.But even with the 12 in swing it is already very limiting.You can check out my posts in a search and see whats possible with it.
With all that being said ,I have no experience with any other brand .

Steve Trauthwein
02-28-2008, 7:24 AM
I would get the Jet. Just because you will upgrade someday does not mean you will never use the small lathe again. I have had occaission to use my lathes in tandem, turning a plug on the small lathe for an item chuck on the larger lathe that didn't want to be moved.

Regards, Steve

Arlan Ten Kley
02-28-2008, 8:03 AM
I have no experience with the Turncrafter, but am very happy with my Jet 1220. I gladly traded the 10" swing, 1/2 hp motor and VS on the 1014 for the 12" swing and 3/4 hp motor of the 1220. Changing belt position for speed changes is no big deal. The tailstock is light enough that I routinely remove it when turning bowls and hollow forms. The short bed is nice and I made a freestanding stand just the lenghth of the 1220 and often find myself standing around the tailstock end to position the tool to reach the inside top of a hollowform.

Greg Deemer
02-28-2008, 1:58 PM
I have the Jet Mini. Very sturdy and well constructed. Very happy with it. The only change I would have made is buying the Variable Speed lathe. Although the changing of the belt is not difficult you do have to stop your machine and physically change it. There, now you have my two cents… Happy turning… :D

Jim Underwood
02-28-2008, 3:07 PM
I'd go with the Robust or the Oneway...:D

Ok, ok... maybe the Powermatic 3520 or the Jet 1642?:o

No?

How about that Nova 1624? On sale, that's the most bang for the buck...:cool:

Well ok...

The Jet mini it is...:)

Bill Stevener
02-28-2008, 3:13 PM
Yes, one is cheaper than the other. However, which one will return to you more money, when and if you decide to up grade and sell it???

David Walser
02-28-2008, 4:55 PM
Not answering the question you asked: Consider getting the Rikon mini-lathe. It has an additional 2" of swing and has a good reputation for quality. With the 10% off sale (March 1st), it can be had for $225 at Woodcraft.

Ansering the question you asked: For $67, I'd pick the Jet over the Turncrafter clone. If nothing else, your resale value for the Jet is apt to be greater.

Bill Stevener
02-28-2008, 5:44 PM
And I hate being last on a previous page because no one ever reads it. :rolleyes: