PDA

View Full Version : Warning to all small shop owners

Bill Wyko
02-27-2008, 4:35 PM
Eric got his particle counter in and brought it to my little 12x20 work shop. When we measured the air it was borderline OK, around 400. THEN I started doing some sanding on a piece I'm turning. dangerous air has a small particle count of around 3500. After 1 or 2 minutes of sanding the particle count went to 25,000+ count. Then I sprayed some lacquer for around 15 seconds. The particle count went over 30k. I have a JET air filter running and a dust collector. The good news is, the air filter cleaned the air down to a particle count of around 300 in about 15 to 20 minutes. Bottom line is, wear your respirators guys.:)

Matt Campbell
02-27-2008, 5:03 PM
:eek::eek:

Wow! So I really do have sawdust in my veins.

glenn bradley
02-27-2008, 5:12 PM
Well that just goes to show you . . . turning is bad for you :D:D:D

Seriously though, good info and a good reminder.

Sean Troy
02-27-2008, 5:23 PM
Eric got his particle counter in and brought it to my little 12x20 work shop. When we measured the air it was borderline OK, around 400. THEN I started doing some sanding on a piece I'm turning. dangerous air has a small particle count of around 3500. After 1 or 2 minutes of sanding the particle count went to 25,000+ count. Then I sprayed some lacquer for around 15 seconds. The particle count went over 30k. I have a JET air filter running and a dust collector. The good news is, the air filter cleaned the air down to a particle count of around 300 in about 15 to 20 minutes. Bottom line is, wear your respirators guys.:)
Yeah, but thats Arizona air http://sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

Greg Peterson
02-27-2008, 5:59 PM
This is a great example of the value the Dylos particle counter. Comparing data from different shops is of little value. Monitoring the air in your shop is very valuable.

Even if the numbers are not entirely accurate, there is more than enough evidence to suggest that fine particles are abundant at most any time, and that little activity generates an almost exponential increase in their number.

I'm glad I have mine. I am monitoring my shop air and with no activity the numbers are high, 650 - 2000 +. I'm pretty sure I have a fines problem.

I'm building a fines filter and will be posting my results. Fortunately, with the Dylos unit I will be able to see how effective this filter will be. Or at least I'll be able to determine what works and what doesn't.

Ed Blough
02-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Guys guys you are going to die from something! :eek:
While I rather not rush it, I would rather die from saw dust in my lungs than from a infection I got from the bed sore because someone didn't change my diaper soon enough.

J. Z. Guest
02-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the reminder Bill. I have a small shop and no filtration or dust collection. I'm probably too lazy with my respirator too.

I certainly don't want to snuff it when I'm 40 from sawdust-induced lung cancer.

On a related note, did you know that city dwellers have thicker nose hair than rural folks? I bet that is true for woodworkers too, probably even more so. This is natural dust filtration! I know I get a lot of sawdust boogers when I'm sanding.

Greg Peterson
02-28-2008, 11:53 AM
I'd rather take reasonable measures to potentially prevent a long, painful and miserable death from lung cancer. Dying from a staph infection would be preferable to suffering through lung cancer for months or years.

No one dies from old age. Things we do when we are younger usually come back and get us in the end. Unless of course you're lucky enough to get hit by a bus when you're 98 years old.

Greg Funk
02-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, was that 25,000 count the reading on the meter or the actual count calculated by multiplying the meter reading by 100?

Greg

Bill Wyko
02-28-2008, 12:49 PM
No, it was the actual number of particles below 2 microns. It shows a large particle count as well but that isn't quite as bad for you. Last night I was doing the final work to be ready for the show and I got a count above 40k. I'll be wearing my respirator regularly now.

Mike Heidrick
02-28-2008, 1:00 PM
I would rather die from saw dust in my lungs than from a infection I got from the bed sore because someone didn't change my diaper soon enough.

You say that in jest, but my FIL died from pulmonary fibrosis (hardening of the lungs) at 52ysld. Boys and girls, that is one horrible way to die. I do not wish that for ANYONE. And don't think you will be out in the shop while you keel over - you will have long ago watched your shop/tools sold so your family can keep you from going out there with your oxygen bottle in hand. But lets just say you do not have a family or refuse to sell - then you will not even be able to go the shop because you do not have the oxygen to walk there. I have a power chair from the first floor to the second floor (main floor) of my house because of my FIL. Makes for a great grocery lift now but the memory of why that chair is there is too real.

Open the door on that garage shop if you are lucky enough to have one. Wear your masks.