PDA

View Full Version : Remote Control for Dust Collector...15A vs. 18A

Edward Garrett
02-27-2008, 3:22 PM
The LongRanger III 220V remote for 3HP motors - which says it is rated for 15 Amps....will it work on a 3HP collector rated at 18 Amps (the Grizzly G0562)?

Rod Sheridan
02-27-2008, 3:30 PM
The simple answer is probably no.

The unit is rated for 15 amperes, the dust collector can draw 18 amperes, which is in excess of its rating.

If you measure the full load current of your dust collector with clean filters and all the blast gates open (to make the motor work hardest and draw maximum current) and you are 15 amperes or less, you'll be OK.

Having said that, I'd look for a unit rated at 20 amperes for a motor with 18 amperes full load current.

Regards, Rod.

Rob Russell
02-27-2008, 4:32 PM
If you can't find a 20A Long Ranger, you could spend $15 at Radio Shack for their remote control outlet (item #61-130) and use that to power the control circuit of a contactor. You could use a 120v coil, 2-pole contactor rated for at least 30A inductive load. You can get those new on Ebay for under $30 including shipping. Add an enclosure and you're all set.

Note - I'm saying a contactor and not motor starter because I'm assuming the Grizz DC has overload protection built into it.

Rob
Addy protocol: unlicensed, homeowner electrician

Edward Garrett
02-27-2008, 4:51 PM
Thanks Rob - much appreciated...

Chris Padilla
02-27-2008, 5:23 PM
Something like this is what Rob is thinking about.

240V/30 A contactor from Cutler-Hammer with a 120 Vac coil (source: eBay)

1 cheap box (source: eBay)

1 "lamp control module" from Radio Shack

Wire 'er up, works like a charm to turn 'er on. :D

Mark Engel
02-27-2008, 6:05 PM
I just got one of these:

http://cache.smarthome.com/images/2020.jpg

And one of these:

http://cache.smarthome.com/images/4003main.jpg

Chris Padilla
02-27-2008, 6:33 PM
Mark,

Very good...20 A wouldn't cut it for my 5 HP motor on my DC. :)

Mark Engel
02-27-2008, 6:43 PM
You are right about that, Chris. :)

It should work nicely for an 18 amp load, though. I use it on my 3hp Reliant DC. Works like a charm.

Mike Heidrick
02-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Rob and Chris have the right Idea. I made one using a relay and the $9 outdoor power remote from menards to start my LVC on my 5hp Delta cyclone. Works perfectly. Got the wiring info from Buzsaw (other forum) in northern IL. He is awesome.

Ron Coleman
02-28-2008, 1:12 AM
How about this remote control? No wiring needed, just some cloths line, pulleys and some bungi cords for springs and few wood parts and your in business. Stretch the cord around the shop using awning pulleys at any corners and big wire staples as guides. Hang a few sticks from the cords where you need them, one on the start cord and one on the stop cord.

Steve knight
02-28-2008, 1:40 AM
my dc motor is 15 amps and the long ranger would pop it's breaker right before the dc reached full speed. it takes a lot of juice to get a heavy cyclone impeller up to speed. unless you could get a 20 ore better yet 30 amp remote you need to use the relay method.

AL Ursich
02-28-2008, 1:51 AM
I have a CarveWright Compucarve machines. I picked up a Vacuum Cleaner Controller that works off of the current draw of your router.

I am going to plug the Carve machine into the controller but the outlet that goes to a Vacuum Cleaner will have a 24 VAC Wall Wort Transformer plugged into it and that will activate a 2 pole 24 VAC heavy relay.

That way when the carve machine finishes the 2 HP dust Collector will shut down automatically. It tried it and doing board measurements won't trigger the collector, just when the cut motor kicks in.

Perfect.

AL

Mike Heidrick
02-28-2008, 8:18 AM
Ron, is that in a marionette shop?

Wayne Cannon
03-03-2008, 11:50 PM
I have been using this, and similar, X-10 compatible switches and lighting for years and have been very happy with it. A single remote control can be used to operate 2, 4, or 8 different devices. Smarthome.com is my favorite source.

http://www.smarthome.com/2021.html

Kyle Costlow
03-04-2008, 12:49 AM
How about this remote control? No wiring needed, just some cloths line, pulleys and some bungi cords for springs and few wood parts and your in business. Stretch the cord around the shop using awning pulleys at any corners and big wire staples as guides. Hang a few sticks from the cords where you need them, one on the start cord and one on the stop cord.
...thats one of the coolest things I have ever seen:D I like how everyone else is talking in a foreign language and here's Ron, with a down to earth solution.

Ron Coleman
03-04-2008, 1:02 AM
...thats one of the coolest things I have ever seen:D I like how everyone else is talking in a foreign language and here's Ron, with a down to earth solution.

:) I learned this from riding the city buses years ago. Just pull the cord to ring the bell and the driver would stop at the next stop. Now they have all the fancy touch switches but the old cords and bells always worked.