PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Store in Bucks County, Pa.

Frank Orzehoski
02-27-2008, 3:02 PM
Not sure who is aware of this but for the SCM members in the Bucks/Philadelphia/Montgomery County areas a new Rockler Store is open in Southampton Bucks County. I went to pick up some supples at the Woodworkers Haven store in Southampton and they are now a partner store with Rockler. For those of you that have been to the store, they converted the shop area to carry the Rockler merchandise. Today was their 1st official day carrying the Rockler line. Inventory is still coming in and being shelved. They still have their own items as well.

Curt Harms
02-27-2008, 3:35 PM
Time for a Scouting/reconnaisance mission:D

Joe D'Attilio
02-27-2008, 3:47 PM
I'll def be taking a trip down there - PS HI fellow Bucks/Philadelphia Countians!

Jim Becker
02-27-2008, 4:59 PM
Frank & John are great guys. I'm glad to here they added another feature to the store. I'll also have to stop by and check out the new store section.

Will Blick
02-27-2008, 7:59 PM
Has Rockler turned into an ACE hardware? Or is it like Woodcraft, sole owned franchises? IIRC, most all Rocklers retail outlets are company owned stores....but it sounds like they are branching out to become another ACE, where anyone can carry their product line and and post the Rockler name on their store front? If so, its a clever strategy IMO.

Does anyone know?

Matt Meiser
02-27-2008, 8:11 PM
They are partnering with existing woodworking stores to put the Rockler line in those stores. In some places like Chicago and Columbus they've closed the stand alone Rockler store and shacked up with someone else. Based on what I've seen in Columbus it looks like a good move because both combined carry a broader array of stuff. One of the tool dealers here is in the process of setting up their Rockler stuff and I'm looking forward to having it available.

Michael Lutz
02-27-2008, 9:55 PM
We have a Rockler Affiliate in Pekin. They basically can pick and choose what they want to sell from Rockler's inventory, so not everything is available. Rockler catalog sales may be an issue with closing down the corporate owned stores. In Illinois, even though there was no Rockler within resonable driving distance, I would have to pay shipping and tax on online and catalog purchases. So I don't buy much from them.

Mike

Will Blick
02-28-2008, 1:16 PM
From what it sounds like, these affiliates are nothing more than re-sellers, just like ACE hardware stores. If Rockler converts everything to re-sellers, than they can offer no sales tax to everyone via the internet division.

Sales tax is still a big issue for many, specially when freight charges for free, or not significant. I am impressed how many of the big e-tailers have avoided charging sales tax in states where they do business.... I think they have different corporations to side skirt the issue. very tough times for bricks n mortar resellers of pre packaged products that fit the internet business model well...

However, a good mix is hardwood retailers (which is not an ideal internet friendly business) combined with a retail Rockler offering. Quite often, you need something, you're there, you buy it, price is not always such an issue when you are in a rush...