PDA

View Full Version : super easy nicad restoration

Lynn Kasdorf
02-27-2008, 2:59 PM
I ran across this trick today, and tried it, and so far it seems to work very well!

If you have a DC welder, or other serious DC power supply, you can apparently burn out the cadmium dendrites or whatever you call the little growths that internally short out nicad cells.

First verify the polarity of the welder with a meter. I used my Miller 250 mig, and when set up for non-flux wire, it is positive on the gun. After I ran a couple inches of wire out, I unclamped the wire feeder. And I turned off the gas.

Now, determine the polarity of your battery pack. They are generally marked.

With goggles (clear ones are ok- I used a full face shield), hold the ground clamp onto the neg of the battery and spark the welder's positive onto the positive of the battery several times. Don't hold it there, just scrape it across until it sparks a few times. You won't be drawing huge current, although when I did it, the mig wire did glow red a couple times. But not enough to draw a welding arc. I sparked it maybe 6 times. Takes a couple seconds.

Not that I think it makes much difference, but I put my welder on max voltage and current. The impedance of the battery is such that you won't draw anywhere near the capabilities of the welder. From the wire glow, I'd guess maybe 20 amps. I gave it as much voltage as I had available. What the heck...

I did this today with a dead 9.6v battery on an old Panasonic drill. After sparking it a few times, this was enough to make the drill spin! Not nearly a full charge, but a pretty impressive immediate charge. I then put it in the charger, and after 10 minutes (not a full charge), the drill ran pretty well. I'll check on it later to see how it holds a charge.

I have a bunch of dead nicad packs that don't take a charge. I was planning on re-celling them, but this is radically easier! I'll dig out some of my dead ones soon and try doing them all, and report back. I figure it is worth a try- what have you got to loose if the cells are dead?

I have no idea if this would help out battery types other than nicad.

Don't sue me if the battery blows up, etc. Do this at your own risk. FYI

J. Z. Guest
02-27-2008, 3:42 PM
My dad had a buddy do this to a dead NiCd pack he had for his Crapsman cordless drill. He used two car batteries connected in series. (to make 24V)

The voltage that welders & car batteries operate at is very low. It's just that they have so much ampacity.

If anyone knows more about the chemical/electrical theory of how this works, I be interested to read it. The "dead cells" seem to be open, rather than shorted. So how does a low voltage & high current get through the open? It must be a very weak open condition.

The end result in my dad's situation was that the batteries "died" again a few weeks later, so it was a temporary fix. He's back to corded now.

Anthony Whitesell
02-27-2008, 3:51 PM
Works even better with 2 D cell (3 volts total) batteries on only the dead cell. (yes, you'd have to take the battery pack apart) The technique has varying degrees of longeveity as you have found.

P.S. I have been doing this to NiCad batteries for 10+ years.

Charlie T. Bear
03-11-2008, 11:04 AM
I dont have a welder yet. Can I use a car battery charger? I want to repair 18 volt dewalts. They are Nicad. I saw a ebook online but I figured one of you guys had a trick or two. How much voltage do I need and for how long?

Mike Seals
03-11-2008, 11:48 AM
I did this with a battery charger, it worked. Brought back some Dewalts and Craftsman. I reversed feed them for a couple of minutes total. I kept them under a metal trash can as I did it and checked them once in a while until they were warm to the touch.

Then let them cool overnight and recharged them. What can I say, it actually worked.

Ted Jay
03-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Why does the "Good, Bad And the Ugly" tune keep going through my head?:D
Just waitin' for sumthin' ta happen, I guess!!

Charlie T. Bear
03-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I did this with a battery charger, it worked. Brought back some Dewalts and Craftsman. I reversed feed them for a couple of minutes total. I kept them under a metal trash can as I did it and checked them once in a while until they were warm to the touch.

Then let them cool overnight and recharged them. What can I say, it actually worked.

Thanks Mike I will give it a whirl:D

Jason Abel
03-11-2008, 9:02 PM
This would be much safer if you did it on each individual battery inside the case. By doing it on the whole pack you risk overheating the nickel connecting tabs and weakening them. Also, the only way this will work for you is if you have one or more cells that have dropped below .5V and are "stunned" or stuck there. Please be careful doing this if you try it as it definitely is not the safest way to do this. A safer solution is to get a battery conditioner.

Regards,
Jason
Battery Builders / MTO Battery

Paul Downes
03-11-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm a little confused by what has been said here. Jeremy you said you held the positive to the positve, negative to negative. Charlie you said you reverse fed the batteries. Which is it? Do both directions work? Are we just feeding DC current through the batteries and polarity doesn't matter?

Josiah Bartlett
03-12-2008, 2:33 AM
You don't need a welder to do this- a pair of 12V car batteries in series (making 24 V) does just as well. However, this fix is temporary at best, and not a substitute for a rebuilt pack.