PDA

View Full Version : Need switch wiring help!!

Joe Tonich
03-13-2004, 4:53 PM
I bought the reversing switch for my lathe ( JET 1236 ) but have no idea how to hook it up. :confused: The only wires I can get to is at the capacitor. There is no plate on the motor to get to where the power cord is hooked up. This is the drawing for single phase hookup. Do the wires from #3 & #4 connectors come from the capacitor? If so, what wire gets hooked up to the lead going out ( at the bottom ) and what wire goes to connector #2? Anyone hook one of these things up and can tell me how to do it? Have pic's maybe??? All help will definitely be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Joe

Dennis Peacock
03-13-2004, 7:23 PM
I had no idea you could reverse a 110V single phase motor to reverse the rotation. I'll watch this one close.

Tyler Howell
03-13-2004, 7:27 PM
I had no idea you could reverse a 110V single phase motor to reverse the rotation. I'll watch this one close.
It can be done but I don't see enough information.:confused:

Joe Tonich
03-13-2004, 7:46 PM
It can be done but I don't see enough information.:confused:

This is from one of my other posts about tear-out:

Quote: Originally Posted by Joe Tonich
Jim,

My lathe is a JET 1236 that doesn't spin backwards. :( I don't think there's any way to get it to do that.

Thanks,

Joe Joe / Any single phase motor can be reversed by interchanging the start winding only.If you purchase a reversing drum switch( Approx 40 dollars in Canadian money) this can be easily accomplished. There is a wiring diagram on the inside cover .Takes about ten minuites to do the wiring. I have also used the sanding velcro disc's and they work great. In fact I use them for all bowl sanding work.I have the 2 and 3 inch sizes. I use them in a variable speed electric drill.I have found that if the drill turns faster than the lathe you get a much better sanding job.I use between the 1 o'clock position and the 3 o'clock when sanding on the inside of the bowl and the 3 to 5 o'clock on the exterior .Good luck turning

For the life of me I cannot figure this schematic stuff out. :confused: :confused:

Joe