PDA

View Full Version : My first shop!

James Williams 007
02-27-2008, 12:32 PM
I've had a few houses while in college and all have had garages but this house was the first that really had the space and flow I really liked so I started setting up shop! She made me wall off her side so the dust wouldn't cover her car and that didn't bother me because she doesn’t notice the new tools as soon and it made me nervous when she pulled her car in when it was raining. My shop is in an L shape about 44X32 at it's widest. It's not much but all of my tools have been bargains I found on graigs or at scratch and dent type sales at local stores, all except the table saw which came with the jessum router setup and I bought the Griz jointer new also. My most recent purchase was the Jet 20" 1.5hp drill press I bought S&D. That thing is a beast but of course I have to build a table and fence setup.
I haven't completely organized everything and I will probably be adding racks and various things forever. I love looking at pics of everyone’s shops I've borrowed a few ideas like the sheet goods holder and other things.
I love comments and critique so feel free to tell me I should do something different or anything. Thanks

NICK BARBOZA
02-27-2008, 12:44 PM
looks good! i am in the process of setting up a new shop too. it is very exciting to see it all come together and to get to work in your new space. last night was the first project i have been able to do in about 4 months... i couldnt even sleep last night!

also did you make the kick "STOP" on the TS or did that come with the saw?

good luck
Nick

James Williams 007
02-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Here’s a few things I did this weekend after I tuned up my band saw. I made this clamp rack to hold the humble beginnings of my clamp collection. The ogee legs are cherry and will go on an end table.

James Williams 007
02-27-2008, 12:48 PM
I made the kick stop myself by putting a hinge on the rail, a piece of maple, red spray paint, and a hole for the start button. I did snap a few screws off while i was putting the hinge in so be careful. It works great too.

Dwain Lambrigger
03-01-2008, 7:08 AM
Do I see harbor freight parallel clamps in there? How are they working for you? I am thinking of buying a few myself.

Jim Becker
03-01-2008, 9:16 AM
Very nice shop, James.

I am curious as to why you have the left side of your saw up against the wall? The majority would put the right side that way.

gary Zimmel
03-01-2008, 9:27 AM
Nice looking shop James

Jim O'Dell
03-01-2008, 9:32 AM
Only thing I would suggest is to get you some insulation up on the walls and ceiling, and put some wall covering up then paint white. You'd be amazed at how much brighter it will be!!
Nice shop. I'd die for that kind of room. And hey, your humble clamp rack looks nice! I've got to start buying clamps before too long. Jim.

James Williams 007
03-03-2008, 2:09 PM
I'd buy more if I could get them at my local HF store! The quit stocking them here. They are built like a tank with all metal construction.

James Williams 007
03-03-2008, 2:18 PM
I have my saw up against the wall because the router insert is on the other side and for most of my work so far I haven't had to move the saw. But it's on a mobile base and it takes a few seconds to slide out. Thats probably the most fustrating aspect of my shop is the amount of room for my table saw. Unless I kick her car out into the rain I don't have the width for a slider. I have tried to place every machine so I can handle the longest possible board.

James Williams 007
03-03-2008, 2:21 PM
I plan on insulating soon and I am going to hang white board or a dry erase type board on any open spot on the wall so I can draw my projects to scale to work out any kinks and really get my vision out so I can pick it apart.

Bruce Page
03-03-2008, 3:01 PM
Man their have been a lot of nice shops posted lately. I really like your outfeed table.