PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about getting a car/truck

Kyle Costlow
02-27-2008, 11:27 AM
I have decided to sell my 98 passat v6 in favor of something cheaper I put about 7000 into my passat and its all paid off, but I am still in school and I cant afford the premium gas and the insurance. I need something that will not break down(or is really cheap to fix when it does break down), and gets good gas mileage. I think I might want a small truck to pick up old woodworking machines...(its really hard in my passat) and maybe to transport the cages I plan to build, if I start selling them. I'm hoping to get about 6900-6500 for my passat and then I want to spend 0 to 3000$ for something else(then I will have money to buy more tools:D. I don't really care how it looks, I need something reliable. I drive about 20-30 miles a day typically. Does anyone have any suggestions.. or is anyone selling something(around indiana), and does anyone want a nice passat(the 98 body style is by far the best looking IMHO)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/nomad85/DSC_0025.jpg
Thanks,
Kyle

Steven Wilson
02-27-2008, 12:12 PM
A 1/2 ton pickup truck 4x4 with fairly low miles and no signs of being moded (intakes, exhaust, etc) will be fairly cheap to fix. However, gas mileage won't be fantastic (12-18mpg).

Curt Harms
02-27-2008, 1:02 PM
I don't know about other makes but 2WD Ford Rangers with 4 cyl. engines seem cheap to buy and operate. Mileage should be in the mid 20's or better.

Jason Beam
02-27-2008, 1:18 PM
You want competing things, though. LOW Gas Milage and pickups just don't go together very well. Here's what we decided when it came time to replace the older car:

Get a sedan, find one that has the great milage you're after - doesn't matter too much what - just so long as you get something with a little bit of horsepower to it (you don't need a ton, balance milage with power).

Then - spend a $1000 maybe and put a trailer hitch on it and buy a utility trailer. This way you only have crummy milage when you need to and the rest of the time you have a nice zippy sedan when you don't.

GRANTED ... you need space to store the trailer. I managed to do so but you may not be able to. It is by far the best solution for us since my wife and i both use our cars daily and having a truck would just be wasteful 90% of the time. This may not work for everyone, i understand, but thought I'd put the idea out there. :)

Pat Germain
02-27-2008, 1:40 PM
Just about everyone would like to find a used truck in good condition. Therefore, they are hard to find and when you do come across them, they are often priced at the very high range of a used vehicle. Also, as mentioned, you're not going to find a truck which gets better mileage than your Passat. Even the 4 cylinder trucks are wind plows, geared low and hauling a lot of weight around.

Since you're Passat if paid for, are you just insuring it for liability? If so, I doubt you're going to save much on insurance with another vehicle. I can definately relate about having to run premium fuel. My '03 Jetta also requires premium. Luckily, the mileage is superb.

One car which likely would be cheaper to operate is a late 90's Honda Civic. Those cars are both plentiful and durable. Parts are also readily available. I bought two used Civics for my kids (I loaned them the money which they paid back) and they were great cars and highly economical.

Can you work on cars at all? I ask because there are a few things which much be done to a high mileage Honda in order to keep it going. The parts are reasonable, but the installation is labor intensive. Doing it yourself is very cost effective. Paying to have it done; not so much.

- Replace timing belt. This must be done between 80 and 100 thousand miles. It will definately break if not replaced. Luckily, the Civic engines don't get trashed if the belt does break.

- Replace the water pump. This is typically done while changing the timing belt. The pump itself is about $25, but it's labor intensive just to get to it.

- Replace the CV axles. You can buy remanufactured or new CV axles for $80 - $100 each. Once they're installed, they're good for another 80k miles or so.

So, if you can find a nice Civic with just under or over 100k miles, you should be able to pick it up cheap. Replace the timing belt, water pump and CV axles and you'll have a great little fuel efficient battle tank. ;)

If you want to haul something, rent a pickup from U-Haul or Home Depot. It's much cheaper than putting gas into a truck as a commuter vehicle.

Greg Cole
02-27-2008, 1:43 PM
Kyle,
Toyota, toyota or umm.... toyota. Been driving Toy trucks for almost gulp 18 years now and thats only 2 different trucks. I'd still have the first one if I hadn't totally destroyed it in a wreck. Had an F150 for 3 years before that, shy away from full size unless you like buying gas.
The Tacoma I have now is 11 years old (bought it new), 102K miles and I have had to replace one lamp on the rear license plate, one set of front brakes (replaced rotors cause I'm like that even though they were flat and still "meaty") and the exhaust pipes from the catalytic convertor back. It's been paid for more years that I had years of payments, so it owes me nadda. Still gets 20 MPG too.
The previous Toy was mine for 7 years and the only $ I spent on it in 7 years was by choice ie aftermarket add-ons. The truck got me to & through college and the couple of lean years there after.
FWIW, I will wind up buying another Toyota Tundra or newly reincarnated FJ Cruiser in a year "or so", and I will keep the current truck as it's worth more to me than anyone can possibly offer me for it. After 11 years or more, I can say that truck one of my best friends.;)

Cheers.
Greg

Chris Padilla
02-27-2008, 1:52 PM
Kyle, I had the perfect truck for you but I sold it to my nanny's son:

1990 Toyota Pick-up, plain jane, 2 bbl carb, 2.4L 4-banger, 4-speed, 120k miles. I think he's put another 30k on it since I sold it to him and I think it'll go another 100k...that darn engine, if you pay half a mind to it, is darn near bullet-proof. It gets 25 mpg no matter what.

I "treated" myself to a new 2006 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed and I hope she's as bullet-proof as old reliable.

I don't think you can go wrong with looking for a 90's era Japanese mini-truck (Toyota, Nissan, etc.).

Joe Pelonio
02-27-2008, 1:52 PM
I have a Ranger and get 15-24 with the 4.0 V6 and 4WD automatic, but that's an '07. In your price range, the 4 cylinder and stick shift 2WD will get you the most for the money, and there are a lot of them available but mostly are white, if that matters. A stick shift is far cheaper to repair and lasts longer than an automatic.

Pickups typically hold their value a lot better than cars, so advice given by others is good.

Check autotrader.com for ideas on what's available, around here you'd get a 1996 or older with 125,000 miles for $3-4,000.

here's an example:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=238971905&dealer_id=62030337&car_year=1996&model=RANGER&num_records=&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=used&distance=100&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&first_record=1&make=FORD&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=1&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=98005&advanced=&end_year=2008&pager.offset=0&doors=&transmission=&max_price=4000&cardist=33

Kyle Costlow
02-27-2008, 2:21 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions:) I found an Isuzu Pup 4x4 for 400$ I think it takes diesel and I know a guy that makes his own for 50 cents per gallon... I might look into that.

Pat Germain
02-27-2008, 5:15 PM
Before you pounce on that Pu'p, consider...

- It likely needs new tie rod ends, bushings, ball joints and CV joints. Major $$$. Isuzus aren't bad trucks, but they're not Toyotas.
- I've never heard of an Isuzu diesel, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Be sure to verify.
- Do you absolutely have to have a truck? I know folks here are very happy with there trucks, but they probably use them as trucks regularly. I agree Toyota trucks are practically indestructable. However, gas is likely going to be $4 a gallon this summer and there's no way a older used truck is going to get mileage anywhere near a small car
- If you can get cheap diesel, consider finding a Jetta TDI. Those things get over 40MPG. They're getting hard to find since gas keeps going up, but they are still around
- Then again, if you can get a running Pu'p for $400, buy it and drive it only when you need a truck. For commuting, find an old Civic or similar Japanese econo-box! If you tell your insurance company you're going to drive the truck only once a month, liability insurance will be mimimal.

Joe Pelonio
02-27-2008, 5:39 PM
That's a rare one, but there's a loyal following.

Search and you will find a forum for them, and see if you can get advice ahead of time from current owners.

Curt Doles
03-05-2008, 6:59 PM
Hey Kyle,

This can help with part of the equation.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Plug in the year/make/model and current cost of gas and get annual gas expenses comparing cars side by side.

Nice car!
Curt

Curt Harms
03-05-2008, 8:25 PM
Before you pounce on that Pu'p, consider...

- I've never heard of an Isuzu diesel, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Be sure to verify.

They make more small industrial/marine diesels than automotive/truck. Quite a few Isuzu delivery box trucks running around here though.

Anthony Anderson
03-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Toyota 4 cyl. 4WD 5 speed manual. Get an ext. cab if you can find one in your price range. Can't go wrong and you will still have decent gas mileage for a small truck. Otherwise I would go with a 1998-2000 Toyota Camry 4cyl, auto. Those will definitely be in your price range and will last forever. Those are great cars. Consider this, no offense intended, buy buy a used Camry, save/invest the difference you get from selling your Passat, and finish school. Then take the money that you have earned from the investments, the money saved on insurance and gas, and the money you would have spent on tools, and you will be able to enjoy your hobby that much more. Focus on school until you are finished, the light at the end of the tunnel will be that much brighter. Good Luck.

Kyle Costlow
03-06-2008, 2:39 AM
No offense taken, and I will likely take your advice, thanks ;)

J. Z. Guest
03-06-2008, 1:35 PM
If you want reliable & cheap to operate, Japanese is the only way to go.

I'd go for a 2WD Toyota pickup, if I were you. You'll probably get the same fuel economy as you would on the Passat, but these things are ultra-reliable and dirt simple.

Another option is a hatchback. You'd be surprised what will fit in a Civic hatchback. These get 35 mpg and are more comfortable than trucks, and just as reliable.

I had an '85 Civic CRX that made 193,000 miles before rusting out too badly. (engine was still a peach) Wore out a ball joint at about 160k, no other mechanical problems.

Now, my '98 Civic CX hatchback has 164,000 on it, and is just starting to rust. No mechanical problems.

Our new '07 Matrix already has 13,000 on it, no problems yet.

Matt Schell
03-06-2008, 9:13 PM
good luck finding a decent little pickup for cheap. I looked for a long time before I got lucky and found my bare bones 94 2wd 5spd nissan. I totally gave up on finding a 4x4 it seemed like for less than 2-3 grand any 4x4 was in pretty rough shape. On the other hand if you don't mind a nice little 2wd a nissan, ranger or toyota is a pretty good bet. Toyotas seem to be hard to find people love those little toyota pickups so they are not cheap even the old 2wheelers.

Keep an eye on craigslist and hope for the best. I love my $1,000 little pickup.