PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Contractor Saw w Riving Knife

Prashun Patel
02-27-2008, 10:54 AM
G0661 10" 2 HP Contractor Style Table Saw with riving knife

Does anyone have experience with this saw?
I'm thinking to purchase.
The motor's enclosed and it's the only contractor/hybrid saw I've seen in my price range w a riving knife.

Specifically, I'm interested in the stock fence and miter gauge. Sloppy? Easy?

Eric Haycraft
02-27-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't think that they are shipping yet. Soon. I also hear that they have a long backlog since they are a hot item.

Vic Damone
02-28-2008, 6:31 AM
I see a shroud dust collection hose, is the bottom enclosed also?

Vic

Prashun Patel
02-28-2008, 9:12 AM
It says 4" port, so I'd assume yes.

Kewan Floyd
02-28-2008, 9:40 AM
I emailed Grizzly a few months ago and they said the G0661 will be available approximately April 11, 2008 but they will fill all backorders first. If you shoot an email to Grizzly customer service I'm sure they will let you know how long the wait would be.

Vic Damone
02-28-2008, 11:06 AM
After seeing the trunion casting and motor it's amazing just how simple it will be for manufactures to offer different bases (contractor or hybrid) for the same generic table and motor assembly.

I'm wondering if this may be a reason SawStop has delayed the release of their contractor version so they had time to produce a hybrid base? Is it a coincidence that both manufacturers have estimated availability in spring 2008?

Vic

Steve Sawyer
02-28-2008, 12:35 PM
I just pulled the trigger on this saw.

We'll see how soon it arrives. I'm in no great panic, but do hope it won't be too much longer than a couple of months.

Tim Marks
02-28-2008, 2:30 PM
I'm wondering if this may be a reason SawStop has delayed the release of their contractor version so they had time to produce a hybrid base?
The Grizz 0651 is a hybrid saw, with motor inside the cabinet.

AFAIK, the sawstop Contractor will be a true contractor saw, with the motor mounted outboard of the cabinet. Look at the specs: top is 27" deep, base is 45" deep.

I don't think that you can draw any conclusions (such as these saws being built on the same assembly line) from the product release date. And I suspect based on track record that Grizzly will start shipping the G0651 this spring, and SS will start shipping their contractor saw in summer or fall.

Steve Sawyer
02-28-2008, 3:57 PM
The SS contractor is shipping now, Tim. I understand that they're first taking care of a backlog of folks that pre-purchased these saws as much as three years ago before they make them available to the rest of the market. At least one SMC member that I know of has his up and running in his shop.

Jerome Hanby
02-28-2008, 4:56 PM
Wow, what a nice looking saw. You guys are going to get me into big trouble.

M. A. Espinoza
02-28-2008, 10:35 PM

AFAIK, the sawstop Contractor will be a true contractor saw, with the motor mounted outboard of the cabinet. Look at the specs: top is 27" deep, base is 45" deep.

I don't think that you can draw any conclusions (such as these saws being built on the same assembly line) from the product release date. And I suspect based on track record that Grizzly will start shipping the G0651 this spring, and SS will start shipping their contractor saw in summer or fall.

Yes, Sawstop is in production. Mine has been in the shop for about a month.

Seems like a pretty good contractor type saw. Needed alignment out of the box. After tuning, zero change in alignment from 0 to 45 bevel.

Not sure if I'll be taking it to Hawaii, right now it looks like I'll be selling my machines and replacing on island. After three years of waiting I will probably never use it. Well, thats how it goes sometimes.

Steve Sawyer
02-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Bad news - Grizzly just informed me that they won't be shipping my saw until JULY!!

John Schreiber
02-28-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm watching that saw too. It looks like a great deal for the price point. Riving knife, decent size cast iron table and shrouded blade. As soon as someone gets one I'm anxious to hear a review.

Vic Damone
02-29-2008, 12:19 AM

I wasn't drawing any conclusions, coincidence at best. As it turns out it seems it's difficult to roll out a new product regardless of a manufactures size. The SawStop is shipping ahead of their (latest) spring 08 estimation and the Grizzly release has been postponed until summer 08.

Seems like a pretty good contractor type saw. Needed alignment out of the box. After tuning, zero change in alignment from 0 to 45 bevel.

Not sure if I'll be taking it to Hawaii, right now it looks like I'll be selling my machines and replacing on island. After three years of waiting I will probably never use it. Well, thats how it goes sometimes.

Does the motor hang out the back of the SawStop as do other contractor saws? I've never seen a picture of the rear of their saw.

Vic

Randal Stevenson
02-29-2008, 2:00 AM

So your one of the lucky ones that got it for around $850? Have you tried it at all? Can you post some pictures of it and tell us what you think of its dust collection (one of the delays)?

Thanks

M. A. Espinoza
02-29-2008, 11:12 AM
To answer a couple of questions:

The motor hangs just like a regular contractor. 15 amps.

The dust collection isn't something I can report on. Its only a guess but the shroud covers quite a bit and with a 4" port it should pull pretty good.

I only assembled it enough to check the alignment. Just to satisfy my own curiosity about the design. Didn't assemble the base or add the fence, just sitting on some sawhorses. Its going back into the box for storage today.

I got the Hawaii news right after I got the saw home so I didn't see any point in setting it up completely. I wanted to be able to get it back into its shipping configuration.

Besides I figured some people might find it more appealing if it still hadn't seen any sawdust. I hope to get my money back, shipping and tax adds quite a bit to the price. And the preorder price varies depending on when you got on the list. Its no bargain.

If they intend to sell it for 1500, it would actually be closer to 2000+ after you pay for shipping, tax, replacement brakes, and if you upgrade the fence and want cast wings.

I'm waiting to see if they actually price it that high, I have a feeling its just a web-rumor. I'm guessing 1100 for the base level saw.