PDA

View Full Version : Planer Comparison Site

Dave Verstraete
02-27-2008, 9:51 AM
Is there a website or forum site that would compare manufacturer's specs? Just the facts! I currently have a small (lunchbox Delta 12"-older) planer and would like to upgrade. I am a hobbyist. I work in my BASEMENT ( Weight does matter! I have to get it down there! My heirs can worry about getting it out). A 15" appears to be quite heavy to get into the basement, although it is a straight shot going down there ( read that as a "Watch out! Here she comes") Is it possible to disassemble the top and bottom of a 15" to have an easier time of getting it into the basement.
I did get a PM66 and a Rikon 18" Bandsaw down there.

I might have to settle for a more current "lunchbox"??

I didn't want to hijack the current 15" planer thread.This is just the beginning of my search. If you can point me to the appropriate thread, thanks in advance

Dan Owen
02-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Dave,

I also have a basement shop and I can appreciate your concerns. On the other hand, I am fairly persistent in my goals and when I decide I want a new tool in my basement, I figure out a way.

I currently have a Rockwell Unisaw,a MM16 and a General 14" planer---alll in the 500 pound range. I have never had a problem getting things down as long as I have about 2 other friends and my trusty appliance dolly. We just take it slow and easy and never a problem. I am currently constructing a system that will get machines out of the basement via a large dolly that will move up the stairs with a come along and 2x6 guide rails. Should work pretty good when I'm done. A friend of mines dad used this same system and he was actually able to move large power tools by himself.

If you were able to get a PM 66 down there, I would think a 15" planer would be no problem. Just be sure to have enough help, think safety, take it slow and easy and consider any thing you can do to break down the machine to make it lighter without jeopardizing the integrity and precision of the machine.

By the way, my 14" General replaced a lunchbox planer and an old Foley Belsaw. I'll never go lunchbox again.

Dan

Randal Stevenson
02-27-2008, 12:11 PM
I have considered a few things (small basement). The idea I came up with was bolting the item through plywood and/or 2x that were long (sled) then running cable/rope/steel wire, to a winch and some 2x's a bit further back (doorway) and winching them down.

Just an idea (some of the tools I looked at, could only be seperated, easily, into a stand and the tool).

Rod Sheridan
02-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Dave, like Dan, I have a General 650, a planer, jointer, 17"bandsaw etc all in the basement shop.

For my planer, I put the planer, less stand, on a two wheeled handcart with a strap to hold it down.

My wife and I easily moved it downstairs with me at the bottom of the handcart, Diann at the top of the handcart.

Regards, Rod.