PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Festool Sysport Clone Plans

Matt Meiser
02-26-2008, 11:10 PM
By request, I've put together some rudimentary plans for a homemade Festool Sysport Clone (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77685).

I selected materials based on the fact that I had enough leftovers from other projects. Feel free to substitue as needed.

My plans are based on the assumption that the drawers are assembled using pocket hole screws. If you search for "pocket hole drawers" there are some examples of this technique. You'll have to adjust the dimensions if you want to use another drawer technique.

In addition you will need a pair of 14" full extension drawer slides. I used some from Gliderite (http://www.gliderite.com/) and highly recommend them, but you do have to buy them in boxes of 10 sets. Still, they were inexpensive enough to get 10 sets for about what 5 sets would have cost elsewhere. These slides require 1/2" clearance between the drawer box and carcase side. If you use different slides, you may need to adjust the dimensions appropriately.

You will also need a set of casters. The ones pictured are inexpensive ones from Harbor Freight but they will soon be replaced by full-locking casters.

To match the green paint, take a systainer latch to your favorite paint store and have them do a color match.

To calculate side/back height for a different combination of systainers:
1) Get your Systainer heights.
I have:
2 Systainer 2's at 6 1/4" each
2 Systainer 3's at 8 1/2" each
1 Systainer 4 at 12 1/2" each

2) Calculate height as follows
Sum(systainer heights) + (number of systainers * 3/4")
For me this is
2 * 6 1/4" + 2 * 8 1/2" + 1 * 12 1/2" = 42"
5 * 3/4" = 3 3/4"
42" + 3 3/4" = 45 3/4"

The zip file contains a couple pictures of the finished project, drawings and exploded drawings of the carcase and a typical drawer, a basic Sketchup drawing, and a cutlist.

Rod Sheridan
02-27-2008, 9:07 AM
Mat, thanks for going to the effort of posting plans for your Festool storage cabinet.

I enjoyed the original posting in the woodworking section, very creative, and nice work.

I was going to tease you about the Festool obssesion, however I just recently completed a storage cabinet for the shop made out of Baltic Birch plywood with solid walnut edge banding, and home made drawer pulls, so I have no ground to stand on

My daughter commented that the shop cabinets look nicer than our kitchen cabinets.......Ouch!

Regards, Rod.

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-27-2008, 6:56 PM
Mat, thanks for going to the effort of posting plans for your Festool storage cabinet.

I enjoyed the original posting in the woodworking section, very creative, and nice work.

I was going to tease you about the Festool obssesion, however I just recently completed a storage cabinet for the shop made out of Baltic Birch plywood with solid walnut edge banding, and home made drawer pulls, so I have no ground to stand on

My daughter commented that the shop cabinets look nicer than our kitchen cabinets.......Ouch!

Regards, Rod.

Pictures Rod! We want pictures!
Thanks for the plans post, Matt. I wish I knew how to use Sketchup!