PDA

View Full Version : Frank are you ok?

James Jaragosky
02-26-2008, 10:00 PM
England - An earthquake struck Britain early Wednesday and was felt across large parts of the country.
hope you were speared this.
jim j.

Greg Busch
02-27-2008, 2:52 AM
James,

I dont know how it was over the other side in Liverpool where Frank is, but i'm presently just South of Newcastle (Middlesborough) and the quake felt like one of those old beds where you put 20 cents in and it vibrates, just that 20cents doesnt seem to go as far nowadays as it only lasted 15-20 seconds.

My First earthquake...WooHoo (not to make too light of it), being from Oz thankfully we dont get too many.

Frank Corker
02-27-2008, 4:53 AM
Well I missed it! I've been hit with manflu again so I must have just glided straight through it. Apparently it was 15 miles underground and Lincolnshire got the brunt of it. We had noticed that the budgie's feathers were all over the place so I think he must have been disturbed by it all.

Greg Busch
02-27-2008, 6:27 AM
Frank,

It woke me, i'm staying in an old hotel in the 'boro and i as i laid there i was thinking "what do i do if this gets worse?" and i recall odd things like people standing under door frames and i thought "Hey i'm 110kgs, there is still gonna be lots of me sticking out either side of this frame!!"

Thankfully it subsided and i drifted back off awaking this morning thinking i'd dreamt it all until seeing the Beebs report.

Large ones must be absolutely terrifying, its not often we dont have control of our surrounds, you tend to take stable floors for granted!!

Joe Pelonio
02-27-2008, 8:54 AM
I'm glad you guys are OK, having spent my first 40 years in the San Francisco Bay Area I know what they can do. Far less of them up here in the Pacific NW.

James Jaragosky
02-27-2008, 10:14 AM
I didn't relieze that so many of our members were from that area.
but I am glad everyone came through safe.
I live in the Midwest, quakes are almost unheard of here, but we do get our fair share of twisters.
jim j.

Jeff Gilchrist
02-27-2008, 11:08 AM
I was out in the desert of Egypt when a 5.0 hit. We had no reference (shaking buildings, telephone poles....) to tell us it was an earthquake. Everyone just started to get light headed and fall to one knee. It was one of the most unnerving experiences in my life. We didn't know what was going on and then everyone just started feeling better after awhile. It wasn't until we got back to town that we heard about the quake. I'll never forget that feeling of helplessness coupled with the fact that we did not know what was making the collective group sick.

Anthony Scira
02-27-2008, 11:27 AM
I dont get out of bed for anything less than a 6.0

But then again I don't know how earthquake proof your slice of the world is.

But glad to hear everyone is ok.

And I think a desert is a perfect place to be in an earthquake ! But I must admit I would have never thought of the problems that come allong with it. I would have been more afraid of the sand going into liquifaction and swallowing me up !

Ray Mighells
02-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Joe, I hope you realize the PNW is due for a biggie. The last big one in the PNW caused a giant Sunami in Japan. Couple hundred years ago. I don't think anyone has to remind you of the San Andreas Fault. Glad everyone is OK, and knock on wood.

Sean Bullock
02-28-2008, 12:46 AM
I was out in the desert of Egypt when a 5.0 hit. We had no reference (shaking buildings, telephone poles....) to tell us it was an earthquake. Everyone just started to get light headed and fall to one knee. It was one of the most unnerving experiences in my life. We didn't know what was going on and then everyone just started feeling better after awhile. It wasn't until we got back to town that we heard about the quake. I'll never forget that feeling of helplessness coupled with the fact that we did not know what was making the collective group sick.

I find that very interesting. You mean you did not feel any shaking at all?

AL Ursich
02-28-2008, 1:03 AM
I was driving in San Diego about 10 years ago and my car was doing this acceleration and deceleration thing at 65 MPH with me wondering what the heck was going on during a quake....

In my Navy Days I was on a Ship visiting San Francisco almost under the Oakland bridge on the SF side in 89?, pier side for Fleet Week. We left for San Diego and 2 days later watching the Ball Game on the Ship in San Diego saw the Bridge Fall.

Speaking of Egypt..... I loved the One Way Camel rides at the Pyramids. Twenty Bucks.... Camel Rides..... One way..... you find out later.

The return trip while the tour bus driver is waving for you to come back..... Well the term "Priceless" comes to mind....

AL

I miss San Diego..... It's 9 degrees here and the driveway is solid ice from end to end from the rain yesterday... here in PA

Joe Pelonio
02-28-2008, 8:13 AM
Joe, I hope you realize the PNW is due for a biggie. The last big one in the PNW caused a giant Sunami in Japan. Couple hundred years ago. I don't think anyone has to remind you of the San Andreas Fault. Glad everyone is OK, and knock on wood.
Yes, in fact from what I've seen there is somwhat of a chance that Mt. Rainier could blow, with lava flows wiping out everything in it's path to the water at Tacoma. Down there we had frequent quakes, some like the Loma Prieta really damaging, but nothing like what could happen here.

Jeff Gilchrist
02-28-2008, 9:09 AM
I find that very interesting. You mean you did not feel any shaking at all?

Sean, we felt nothing shaking...obviously the ground was moving, maybe the sand dampened the movement some. Normally you are in a structure and can feel and hear everything shaking and crashing to the floor. Where we were it was quite and peaceful, albeit hot as he&&, and one by one we just started to fall out. Really Weird feeling!!

Bill Cunningham
02-28-2008, 8:40 PM
We had a "Ontario wimp quake" about 25 years ago.. I can remember working with my 30 lb 'portable computer' at the dining room table, and felt my body shift slowly sideways, then back, kinda like one of those moving floors at a midway fun house.. Didn't even realize it was a minor quake until I looked over at the floor lamp, and it was still wobbling..
Mind you, I think the dog was bracing himself in the doorway :rolleyes: a sure sign :D

Frank Corker
03-02-2008, 8:00 AM
Sorry with being bad with flu again, never got around to posting this picture of some of the damage caused by the earthquake we had. Devasting really huh?

Bill Cunningham
03-02-2008, 10:56 AM
You have 'flowers' growing outside this time of year? Looks like that poor chair took a real tumble! That quake must have really upset the balance of nature too!

Frank Corker
03-02-2008, 11:01 AM
It has been tragic. Have I had one single world peace team offering an earthquake fund? No not yet!

Bill Cunningham
03-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, at least you'll have an answer when someone says "Hey Frank, what's shaken"?:D