PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Show in St. Paul

Greg Just
02-26-2008, 8:00 PM
So is it worth going to the Woodworking show in St. Paul this weekend? Seems to be a lot of mixed reviews on the shows this year.

Steven Wilson
02-27-2008, 12:49 PM
I might go this year as I actually am looking for a couple of things (Incra positioner for a couple of jigs I'm making).

Eric Haycraft
02-27-2008, 1:17 PM
Where is it at? I hadn't even heard there was one in town.

Brook Duerr
02-27-2008, 1:30 PM
St.Paul River Center. I am not sure of the hours but usually they are from 10 am to 6 pm or thereabouts. The show runs Friday, Saturday and Sunday if my memory is correct. I don't have the flier here with me.

Bill O'Donnell
02-27-2008, 3:27 PM
http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/stpaul.asp

Paul Kinneberg
02-27-2008, 3:58 PM
Greg
Last year I thought it was a pretty disappointing show but it appeared to me from the web site this year that they have more mfg/dealers so I will probably give it another chance. I used to really enjoy it but it kinda went down hill, also I have gone to the woodworking fair in Las Vegas last year and the fair in Atlanta in 2006 and have gotten really spoiled!

Greg Just
02-29-2008, 10:04 PM
I have decided to go to the Woodworking Show on Sunday - I'll report back as to how it was. Hopefully I can find parking on the street and minimize my expenses.

Brook Duerr
02-29-2008, 10:27 PM
I was there today and there is a wrestling tournament going on so there are highschool kids all over the place. Millions of them. So if that is still going on, it will be busy down there. Across the street for the Xcel Energy Center there is an open lot of parking that was $15, yet across the street from that was the new parking ramp that was $10. So if you need to park in a ramp beware and look around.

The show had the usual stuff but there was not a ton of booths there. laguna was there but not Minimax. My friend was set to get a MM16 but he could not do it. The Laguna was about $700 more than a MM16 would be. Lie Nielsen was there which was like torture to me. Lee-Valley was also there and again, I had to restrain my wallet. It was a nice way to spend an hour, and that was all it took for the two of us to cover things well. We spent another hour in Seven Corner's Hardware and that was free. Also more informative because we had the sales guys all to ourselves.

Leigh Betsch
02-29-2008, 10:30 PM
A couple of us dignitaries from out of state are coming in. :p Mostly just an excuse to go to the the big town and whoop it up. Bringing the women folk so no great purchases will be made.;)

Greg Just
02-29-2008, 10:33 PM
I was there today and there is a wrestling tournament going on so there are highschool kids all over the place. Millions of them. So if that is still going on, it will be busy down there. Across the street for the Xcel Energy Center there is an open lot of parking that was $15, yet across the street from that was the new parking ramp that was $10. So if you need to park in a ramp beware and look around.

The show had the usual stuff but there was not a ton of booths there. laguna was there but not Minimax. My friend was set to get a MM16 but he could not do it. The Laguna was about $700 more than a MM16 would be. Lie Nielsen was there which was like torture to me. Lee-Valley was also there and again, I had to restrain my wallet. It was a nice way to spend an hour, and that was all it took for the two of us to cover things well. We spent another hour in Seven Corner's Hardware and that was free. Also more informative because we had the sales guys all to ourselves.

Thanks for the info. I just remembered that my membership at the Science Museum will get me parking for $5 and it is right across the street. An hour is all I think I might need unless I stay for some of the demo's. Also, there is a new exhibit at the Science Museum on the Holocost I want to see.

Greg Just
03-02-2008, 8:31 PM
went to the woodworking show in St Paul today and was pleasantly surprised. My better than the last time I went a couple of years ago. There seemed to be a lot of people, many vendors, and some interesting demonstrations. I picked up a few supplies, but could have spent thousands on the tools I was drooling over - maybe when win the lottery! :D