PDA

View Full Version : Navigation system maps for other continents

Bob Rufener
02-26-2008, 5:15 PM
I have seen that navigation systems like Garmin, Magellan, Tom-Tom, etc. have maps that include North America and Europe. Does anyone know if they offer maps for other continents that either come with the system or can be downloaded?

Mike Williams
02-26-2008, 5:40 PM
Bob - a quick search on the Garmin site (http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ontheRoad/) showed maps for North America, Europe, Middle East, Brazil, Singapore / Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, Mexico, and South Africa. I'm sure you could search the Magellan and Tom-Tom sites to find their information.

Bob Rufener
02-26-2008, 6:03 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Garmin web site. I checked it out and the ones you mentioned are listed. Just for the heck of it I called Garmin's 800 # and spoke with one of their reps. He said that chips with different countries are available as an add on to current units but the chips are pricey. One he mentioned was over $300. For that price, I think it might be just as wise to go to the country and purchase a unit there and try to sell it when you left.

He also gave me information regarding different units and it seems like a Nuvi 660 is a great all around unit. Also, they are probably doing a map update some time this summer so it might be worthwhile to wait for the most current mapping information.