PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Steve - a new vacuum chuck!

Tom Keen
02-26-2008, 2:57 PM
Steve Schlumpf's "how I built.." article inspired me to take the plunge and make a vacuum chuck. I pretty much followed his plans, including ordering the adapter from Tom Steyer.

The adapter is a first class piece of work. I swapped a few emails with Tom and a it arrived within a week. Very nice machined aluminium and extremely easy to use. I plugs into the hand piece on my Jet 1642. I cant say enough nice things about the service I rec'd Tom . I encourage anyone looking at doing a VC to consider this adapter.

The pump is made by Gast and cost $89. I ordered it from the Surplus Center along with the guage, petcock and silencer. The rest of the plumbing piece came from a local plumbing supply store.

The only real changes I made in Steve's design was to mount the everything on a hand truck and I have a 12 feet of tube running to the lathe in order to keep the qizmo well away from me and the lathe.

Steve's goal was to keep cost at or below $200. I ran about $20 over. But I think this is a very reasonable.

It works great! I put a larger Ash bowl on the lathe and I could not dislodge it. It felt very safe at 1000rpms (for the picture), though I doubt if I will ever run it that fast again.

Thanks Steve.. you were great help!

82656 82655

82658 82657

Ben Gastfriend
02-26-2008, 3:14 PM
Looks good. Steve is a wealth of knowledge, isn't he!:D

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2008, 4:00 PM
Tom - you did a great job putting your system together! Glad everything is up and running and you can enjoy it!

Just a note - Tom Steyer is the one who gave me all the info I needed to build my system. He gave me a list of parts needed, a source for those parts and was there for me when I had questions - and I did! I also can't say enough about his adapter - fits perfectly into the hand wheel - just push it in when needed - pull it out when finished and roll the system out of the way. Thanks Tom!

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2008, 5:37 PM
Great looking setup Tom. Well done.

Arlan Ten Kley
02-26-2008, 8:56 PM
Pretty impressive set up there! What a great tribute to the quality information and sources here at the Creek....as well as the skill of the execution! Nice job.