PDA

View Full Version : My first staved turning.

Bill Wyko
02-26-2008, 2:37 PM
If you've been in general woodworking, I've finally finished the never ending Humidor I've been on for the last few months. So as soon as I finished instead if sitting in front of the TV I jumped right into this staved turning. I built this yesterday. I'd like to say thanks to Malcolm Tibbetts for the math in his book. It's made of quilted Maple, Curly Maple, Bubinga, Walnut and chakdekoke. I just couldn't bare to loose the figure with the knot so I added a coral inlace. The pic on the display shelf is how the LOML likes it. If you get a chance, please go see the Humidor and please enjoy this turning.

Bill Bolen
02-26-2008, 2:39 PM
To reuse an overused word AWSOME!..Bill..

Tim Thomas
02-26-2008, 2:46 PM
I love your work Bill. The contrasting woods are just stunning, both on this piece and the humidor. Where do you get your fabulous wood?

Tony De Masi
02-26-2008, 2:50 PM
Bill, wonderful piece and use of wood. You may want to consider letting someone else run the audio shop and concentrate on turing full time. You really have the knack for this.

Tony

Paul Douglass
02-26-2008, 3:05 PM
Now, that is beautiful!

Ben Gastfriend
02-26-2008, 3:12 PM
That is really nice. That's a really pleasing combination of woods, and the quilted maple looks awsome. It's amazing how wood can have so much figure!

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2008, 3:47 PM
Wow Bill - if I didn't know better I would swear you've been doing segmented turnings for at least 10 years! Beautiful design, form and finish! The maples are outstanding! This is the best one you've done so far - IMHO - and I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Bill Wyko
02-26-2008, 4:05 PM
Thanks everyone. Don't tell anyone but I did this one in one day.:D

Jason Hallowell
02-26-2008, 4:07 PM
Very nice! I really like the figure on the maple, and it was executed beautifully. I apparently just missed you at woodworkers the other day. I was buying some wood to try my first segmented bowl. I may have some questions for you soon.

Brian Brown
02-26-2008, 5:44 PM
Bill,

This one is really beautiful. Good wood choice, great form and design. As for the math, teach me Obi Wan! This is really a good piece all around.

Bill Wyko
02-26-2008, 6:26 PM
Thanks everyone:) Brian, as far as the math goes, I used the charts in the back of Malcolm Tibbetts book. There is a great section in his book that tells you in great detail how to do this. Thanks again Malcolm.:D

Malcolm Tibbetts
02-26-2008, 6:56 PM
Bill, I'm glad that my book helped a little. I think you're taking just a small chance in regard to the cross-grain at the top of the staves. Nine times out of ten, this will probably be "ok", but I'd hate to see that tenth time sneek in. Did you use a mortise and tenon joint at the top of the staves? Nice job.

Robert McGowen
02-26-2008, 7:03 PM
Very nice Bill. That maple really dances around with the figure. From your post, it sounds like your LOML has already laid permanent claim to it?

Bill Wyko
02-26-2008, 7:20 PM
Bill, I'm glad that my book helped a little. I think you're taking just a small chance in regard to the cross-grain at the top of the staves. Nine times out of ten, this will probably be "ok", but I'd hate to see that tenth time sneek in. Did you use a mortise and tenon joint at the top of the staves? Nice job.
Malcolm, I knew you'd catch that:) I was out of material so I couldn't do vertical grain like the bottom. Yes I did the interlocking step to help strengthen that joint. Thanks again for publishing that chart, it made the job very easy to figure. I really enjoyed building this one. It went quick and I like the vertical lines in it. I'll be doing more of these in the future.

Fred Conte
02-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Bill - that is really beautiful - classic! What museum can I see it in!

Tony Wheeler
02-26-2008, 10:37 PM
very nice job what thickness were the staves to start with

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Beautiful piece Bill. You did a nice job on it. I like it.

Bill Wyko
02-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks everyone. The staves were 4/4 when I started. The vessel is about 1/4" thick, as you get to the top it gets down to around 1/8th thick. If any of you want to try this I highly recommend getting Malcolm Tibbetts book. It will make it a breeze. It's 10:15PM here. I just finished trying a finish I'd never tried. Friction pollish. I've seen a lot of you use it with a great success so I gave it a shot. I like it a lot.

Bill Wyko
02-26-2008, 11:47 PM
I love your work Bill. The contrasting woods are just stunning, both on this piece and the humidor. Where do you get your fabulous wood?
Believe it or not, I got all of it from Woodworkers Source here in Tucson.

Alex Elias
02-27-2008, 1:38 AM
Wow wow wow what a nice pice. congrats

Tom Sherman
02-27-2008, 7:33 AM
An excellent piece Bill, Very well done. And all in one day, you da man.

robert hainstock
02-27-2008, 9:20 AM
Somebody said "said Awesome". pretty well sums it up. As for the storage, keep it dry, (humidity) andout of the sun. It is almost a given with stave construction that the woods will wind up at 90 degrees from one another. I have a staved piece with over 14 years of staying together. so it can happen. Good luck, and very nice work. :D:D:D
Bob

Bill Wyko
02-28-2008, 1:10 AM
WWWEELLL.... I have a bad habbit of messing with finish until I screw it up. Today was no exception. I'll be up at 5:00AM to try to fix it before I leave for the show.:( I have to be in Carefree tomorrow afternoon.

Bill Wyko
03-09-2008, 11:41 PM
I ended up doing a Laquer finish on this piece. Then I used the Pumice stone powder and Rotten stone. Then I took it to the Beal 3 wheem for a final clean up and it turned out fine. Again, techniques I learned here on SMC. Thanks to you all.

Jim Becker
03-10-2008, 7:59 AM
Stavulous!!! :D Really, great piece, Bill.

Keith Beck
03-10-2008, 2:48 PM
Tweeeeeet! I'm calling a foul! Bill, you're not allowed to be that good at flatwork and the spinny stuff. That's just not fair! :D

Nice job!

Keith

Bill Wyko
03-11-2008, 1:04 AM
Keith, I'm chuckling.:D I just listen to all you guys and apply it. I really do have to give a lot of thanks to all the talent here. Here's some other stuff I've done. www.audio2000az.com (http://www.audio2000az.com) No sales, just a gallery.