PDA

View Full Version : Catalpa Is Beautiful!!

Matt Hutchinson
02-26-2008, 2:25 PM
I just thought I would share the beauty of Catalpa. I have had this wood for about 6 months now. I have seen Catalpa pen blanks for sale before, but not larger blanks. Has anyone worked with this before? I have only roughed out wet Catalpa, and want to know what to expect when it dries. Thanks.

Hutch

TYLER WOOD
02-26-2008, 5:10 PM
cracks if it's not sealed up. Catalpe moves WILDLY, at least the stuff here in Texas does. Good luck in keeping it in one piece. I think that is why you rearely see it in larger form. It's hard, nay near impossible to keep it from cracking. GOOD LUCK!!!

Gary Herrmann
02-26-2008, 5:50 PM
and it smells like cotton candy when you turn it - at least the chunks I've gotten here do

Matt Hutchinson
02-26-2008, 7:13 PM
Well, right now the wood has been sealed and in my driveway for 6 months, and none of it has cracked. I wonder if the climate differences, as well as soil, have anything to do with this apparent success. But thanks for the heads up. I will keep a close eye on it.

Hutch

John Shuk
02-26-2008, 9:00 PM
I think Catalpa is fairly stable. Alot of woodcarvers like it.
I think the piece you have there is fairly exceptional.
If you have more like it put it to good use.

John Timberlake
02-26-2008, 9:13 PM
I only turned one piece, but I loved it. It turned easily, was stable and looked beautiful.

Tim Gruss
02-26-2008, 9:59 PM
Mike, Catalpa was one of the first woods that I have turned. I got a Toyota p/u truck load for 20$. Great pratice wood. It does have a tendency to form cracks when heated from dull tools or clogged sandpaper. Use extra care when sanding and you should be fine. I have also experienced some severe movement with it, but that was before I started using DNA. I have not turned it in a few years. I'll try to turn a 9-12" bowl from a limb section I have and post here also. Good luck and I can't wait to see that piece finished. Tim

Allen Neighbors
02-26-2008, 11:33 PM
I would love to turn some of it. You're right... it is truly beautiful wood. I made an 8-drawer bandsaw box from it once, and ruined 2 bandsaw blades sawing it out. Gummed up and overheated the blades. I burned the rest of the Catalpa. That was before I started turning. I wish I had it now.
You've got a good start on a beautiful piece there. :)

Don Robert
02-26-2008, 11:38 PM
If and when you hit the piece you show with tongue oil, that grain is really going to "pop." It will be really beautiful - I'll put money on it. You "ain't seen nothing yet."

Matt Hutchinson
02-27-2008, 8:51 AM
It's good to hear that it's a good wood to work with. Hopefully I won't have any cracking problems. I think I will be able to get a good 20 blanks from the chunks I have, several of which are very highly figured. The one pictured was near a crotch, and others I have are very highly and evenly flamed. I can't wait to get something completed out of it. Its natural tone and iridescence is absolutely stunning. Thanks everyone for the info.

Hutch

P.S. I think I will take your advice and use DNA to help it dry. I'll display a piece soon as I get one done.

Reed Gray
02-27-2008, 1:17 PM
I never cared too much for it. I did get a winter storm kill tree once. Not a lot of movement, and very light weight. The sweet smell of it was a scent that I wasn't sure if I liked it or if it was so sweet as to almost make me sick. It didn't sell too well, just the wrong color of brown. However the price of the wood was right, "have chain saw and hand truck, will trade".
robo hippy

mike fuson
02-28-2008, 12:49 AM
I personally hate catalpa, its real soft, hard to sand, gets dips in it, but I guess it is pretty wood

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/catalpaface.jpg

Ron Fleice
02-28-2008, 5:45 AM
Yes Catalpa is beautiful...this piece was very dry and did have a few cracks in it, I have lots of it left over, very soft and light wood ...
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/Ronluc/CremationUrn3-2.jpg

Matt Hutchinson
02-28-2008, 9:31 AM
Sounds like I my have a little work ahead in order to get nice finished pieces out of it. Good to know. I will give you an update down the road. Beautiful pieces guys. Thanks for showing.

Hutch

Jim Underwood
02-28-2008, 8:49 PM
Looks a bit like Mimosa, and I thought that was some pretty wood too.

There's a piece or two of the Catalpa up the road a bit from the same "hack and slash" practice of the crew clearing the roadsides. I'll see if it's still usable and bring some home this weekend. If I remember. Good thing the wife is out of town this weekend, or she'd not let me bring any more wood home..:D

Terry Quiram
02-29-2008, 6:39 AM
My experience is quite opposite of everyone else. I find Caltapa to be very stable. After I rough turn I just put it on the shelf. No DNA, no sealer, no paper bag. I have never lost one. I think finishing turning is tedious because of the softness but the results are worth it. BTW very nice vase.

Terry

Matt Hutchinson
02-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Okay, I guess I will reserve my judgement. Right now the wood I have seems very stable. I hope that I can get what I want out of them. Thanks for the input.

Hutch