PDA

View Full Version : ABS Plastic-does it really work?

Marc Myer
02-26-2008, 11:57 AM
I am working with a sample of Mirroflex 'laserable' material from ATI. The ABS substrate is being difficult to cut well. Ragged edges are the problem.
The surface material is great, as it has a nice smooth chrome appearance.

The people from ATI have been helpful, but here's their response:

"Unfortunetely we don't have much experience with laser cutting material,
perhaps you might need to contact the laser manufacturer but I was also
informed that most people find it hard to smooth out ABS material when being laser cut and prefer using acrylic instead. "

Funny, huh? Rowmark has some nice metallics, but I can't find a smooth chrome-looking material. Can anyone suggest a technique to smoothly cut ABS?

Keith Outten
02-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Mark,

I purchased 1/16" thick ABS sheets to cut letters for ADA door signs. I spent several hours trying to find the best speed and power settings on two different Laser Engravers and although I was able to find a useful setting it is not perfect by a long shot. I also found out that very small letters are impossible to cut, they just burn up or twist no matter how low a power setting I tried. Larger letters faired better but I have to do some cleanup on the edges with a knife edge before I can use them.

I gave up on ABS altogether.

Sandra Force
02-26-2008, 1:30 PM
I cut 20-40 4'x8' sheets of 1/8" ABS per week here. What I hve found is that on both the 100w and 150w lasers I have to run at 18-20% speed and 60-75% power to get a good smooth cut. I do not get twisting and deforming on this thickness, but it is slow going and I am not sure that you could get the same effect on less than a 60w machine

Dan Hintz
02-26-2008, 4:11 PM
Keith, I wonder what kind of luck you might have with small letters and such if you stick the material in the freezer for 20-30 minutes before cutting...

Joe Pelonio
02-26-2008, 6:08 PM
I cut ABS fairly regularly, and have even engraved in it. it may be a power issue, I have to use 100% power on my 45 watt to cut it, and on 1/4" make 2 passes. Then it does cut cleanly. Transfer tape on top stops the surface from getting charred. What I have used is the pebble finish black or white from Tap plastics.

For example, this bezel around the car stereo I cut and engraved.

James Rambo
02-26-2008, 6:39 PM
Keith, Is this the type of signs that you are talking about? I re-installed lettering on a sign for the hospital I work at 'til they figure out the design for the new signage. I relettered this one because people have the habit of peeling the letters off. I used Rowmark ADA alternative material and I vector it at 80% speed 40% power 5000Hz on my 60 watt Epilog. This sign is appox. 4" x 8".

James Rambo
02-26-2008, 6:57 PM
the file was toooooo large

Keith Outten
02-26-2008, 8:20 PM
James,

Your sign is similar to mine, the difference is that I use Corian for the door plaque. I started using LaserMax ADA plastic and it works OK. I never could get the ABS to cut clean..it burned and charred on both mt Epilog 35 watt and the Xenetech 60 watt we have at CNU.

I started using CA glue to adhere the plastic letters to the Corian plaque and they are bonded forever. I also found that the easiest way to clean the white sticky stuff off of LaserMax is to wait until I glue the letters to the plaque and then use a pencil eraser and it wipes right off the face of the letters.

Dan, I will try the freezer trick. I have a large stack of ABS sheets and it would be great to be able to use them for something.

art baylor
02-26-2008, 11:41 PM
When I was in purchasing, we had a part cut from white ABS sheet (3/32) that could not have any charred or brown edges. The supplier had a lot of problems due to material variation from lot to lot. He finally solved the brown edge problem by using nitrogen for his air assist gas. Not cheap but it worked. I don't remember what power laser it was, this was back in the 80's.

Art

Angus Hines
02-27-2008, 8:47 AM
Just a note the Rowmark smooth chrome material you are looking for is Romark # M-98 or M-97 both are smooth chrome but 98 seems chromier.

Sandra Force
02-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Joe, When you engrave the black/white pebble grain ABS what size lettering do you use and do you find that the cap is thicker than Rowmark and have to use larger text to get it to come out clean. I am having some trouble getting the engraving to come out nicely on the ABS.

Marc Myer
02-27-2008, 1:11 PM
Thanks, Dan, for the freezer idea. I'll try that.

Angus, thanks for the tip on Rowmark. Which variety is the M-98 you mentioned? I can't find it on their list, and my local dealer is not too well versed. I've tried the Rowmark Metalgraph Plus in brushed stainless, and it's great to use.

Rowmark is sending me a sample of S-73 to try. Does their adhesive adhere well?

Martin Reynolds
02-29-2008, 11:37 PM
You might try reducing the air assist. ABS melts really easily, and air into the cut may be causing the ragged edge. Or, if your machine allows, let it blow away from the cut a bit.

I'v found that ABS up to 1/8" cuts fast on my 30W Laserpro, no charring at all.

Keith Outten
03-01-2008, 7:40 AM
Thanks Martin.

I will go back to the drawing board to see if I can find the right settings for my machine.