PDA

View Full Version : What's with this cherry?

Wade Lippman
02-26-2008, 10:51 AM
I went to an auction a few months ago. There was a pile of 100bf of cherry no one was bidding on and I thought it had to be worth $25...

Well, now I am planing it for a project and find that much of it looks like this...
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cherry.jpg
It isn't sapwood, it is two toned heartwood; never seen anything like it before. Will it even out over time, or will both parts get darker?
This project doesn't need any novelty wood; if it will stay this way I will save it for something "special" and buy more wood.

Sam Yerardi
02-26-2008, 11:00 AM
It does look beautiful and a nice variation from 'normal' cherry as you would expect to see it. Assuming it is not some form of disease (which I don't believe it is) or the tree has been subjected to dye injections during its growth (really strange but beautiful results) it can only be because of what sunlight the tree was exposed to, or temperatures the tree grew at, or soil types, minerals or the genetic composition of the wood (this is probably key to what's going on)even within the same species, or combinations of these.

Todd Bin
02-26-2008, 11:20 AM
If you have a day or two put a piece of it in the sun. If it is going to darken and mellow then that will make it happen.

Warren E. Johnson
02-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Wade,

I build a buffet out of cherry about 4 years ago. I did not notice the grain pattern when I built it but after the cherry has darkened I am seeing light areas much like I see in you pictures.

Just my 2 cents.

Warren

Ray McGrath
02-26-2008, 2:12 PM
I'd love to have some of that, it would look great in my bandsaw boxes.
Ray