PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Tailstock

Bill Barou
02-26-2008, 10:15 AM
I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and if so do you have a solution? On my Oneway 1640 when roughing out a bowl I use a 4-prong drive and run the tailstock up tight. As I proceed, I occasionally give the tailstock a turn to keep tension on the blank and prevent slipage. Even though I have the locking lever clamped tight (very tight) I can make the whole assemble slip by turning the adjustment wheel. I don't want to force the locking lever any tighter for fear of causing damage. As it is, I lock it so tight that it is very difficult to release and unlock the tailstock. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ken M Nelsen
02-26-2008, 6:20 PM
Bill,

I, too, use a 1640. You need to tighten the tailstock nut under the bed a bit. It may take a bit of playing around 'til it's right, but I have mine adjusted to the point that all I have to do is "throw" the lock lever and it's solid - no need to bash or even bump it to keep the tailstock in place. On the other hand, You don't really need all that much force on the tail center to hold the piece - finesse vs. testerone.......

Good luck,

Ken