PDA

View Full Version : New Hello

Brian Poor
02-26-2008, 10:02 AM
I've been reading posts on the Creek for over a year now and felt like I should go public.

I've been turning for over half my lifetime - I'm 49 now. I've tried lots of different styles and methods and I really can't seem to get away from it. I have other interests, but woodturning keeps coming back to the forefront - when I have time to spend in the shop.

I have mostly turned relatively small stuff, for a few years I focused mainly on scale miniatures for the dollhouse crowd... I enjoy lidded forms, boxes, urns, etc. But now I'm starting to consider a foray into much larger forms. So, heavier equipment will probably be necessary.

Woodturning itself is what holds the magic for me, regardless of what form it takes. I look forward to continuing to learn from the contributors here at the Creek.

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Brian - Welcome to the Creek!!! Would love to see some of your work!

Tony De Masi
02-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Welcome to the Creek Brian.

Tony

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the Creek Brian! Wade right in the water's fine.

Brian Poor
02-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Here are a few pics of my small stuff.

http://barefoot-photography.net/test/100_0963.jpg

http://barefoot-photography.net/test/100_1051.jpg

http://barefoot-photography.net/test/eucalbox1-25.jpg

The biggest thing that caused me to stay with miniatures for so long was the wide array of materials that are available in small blanks.
But I believe that a little more size may be in order..

Tom Sherman
02-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Welcome Brian, looks like you have been doing some fine work so far. Keep em comming

Brian Poor
02-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks Tom.
I appreciate the comments...:)

I think future work will focus on larger hollow and lidded forms.
I've been looking at Robust, Stubby and Oneway for appropriate equipment; something that will allow some spindle capacity and still spin some 20-24" faceplate work without breathing too hard.

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Brian welcome to SMC. Those are some great turnings. Keep'em coming.

Brian Brown
02-26-2008, 5:49 PM
Yep! It's official, they're small... and amazing. They are really awesome. Maybe if I learned to do that, I could actually afford the wood :D, and find the room to store them in the house. SWMBO would be so happy. :)

Brian Poor
02-26-2008, 6:20 PM
You have to admit, being able to put a hundred turnings in a shoe box might have it's benefits.. :)

Thank you for your kind comments..

Glenn Hodges
02-26-2008, 7:31 PM
My goodness Brian glad to have you and your pictures here on the Creek. Your work proves nice things come in small packages.

Arlan Ten Kley
02-26-2008, 7:57 PM
Welcome Brian! Very impressive pieces...nice clean detail carried to scale! Thanks for sharing and we look forward to seeing your future work.

Bill Stevener
02-26-2008, 11:01 PM
OK Brian, welcome to the creek. Another mini man, nice to meet another turner that enjoys the small world. It's always a challenge and one of my favorite areas of turning. Your work looks very nice.
Good minis were bringing a fair price until the gas and other prices skyrocketed, folks just don't need what they don't need.

I would like to see more of your mini world, if you don't mind.

Bill

Andy Hoyt
02-27-2008, 9:39 AM
Well dang it all. Look who shows up!

Howdy, bub.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-27-2008, 2:02 PM
Welcomr to the creek. That is why we call it the vortex. It ssucks you in and won'y let go. Ain't it GREAT!

Bruce

Brian Poor
02-27-2008, 4:55 PM
Well dang it all. Look who shows up!

Howdy, bub.

I know. Ya never know what the cat might drag in...:)

Hope you're well.

Brian Poor
02-27-2008, 5:02 PM
OK Brian, welcome to the creek. Another mini man, nice to meet another turner that enjoys the small world. It's always a challenge and one of my favorite areas of turning. Your work looks very nice.
Good minis were bringing a fair price until the gas and other prices skyrocketed, folks just don't need what they don't need.

I would like to see more of your mini world, if you don't mind.

Bill

I can give you some past pics, I have tons of those, but until I'm able to see my shop again, (maybe June or so - with all the snow we are getting...).
I'm just afraid that if I do make it out there, they'd have to send a rescue team for me to get me back.

robert hainstock
02-27-2008, 5:03 PM
Your work shows a fine hand and good eye. looking forward to seeing your larger work. :)
Bob

robert hainstock
02-27-2008, 5:06 PM
your mini's show an excellant eye and hand. Looking forward to seeing your enlarged porfolio. :)
Bob

Brian Poor
02-27-2008, 5:16 PM
These are all older pics, but they give a reasonable cross-section of what I like

gene cox
02-27-2008, 5:21 PM
welcome brian nice work i think if we got that much snow here in ar.my tools would be in my bed room but then me and my tools may be in the dog house welcome to the creek :p

ross russo
02-27-2008, 7:54 PM
It appears that the VOTEX sucked you in a long time ago. Absolutely beautiful work. How do you mount the piece with out getting tangle up in the chuck or faceplate? I am quite new to turning but getting sucked deeper into the vortex every day.

Brian Poor
02-28-2008, 5:38 AM
I use a band saw to slice blanks similar in size to pen blanks.

I use a Nova chuck to hold the work and leave one end out in space.
Generally when turning miniatures, the blank is less than 3 inches long. I can normally get two or three miniatures from a standard pen blank.

I usually turn miniatures on a Delta Midi with a bed extension to easily slide the tailstock out of the way without needing to remove it.

If you are new to turning, the first steps to successful turning are to:

1. Learn how to select, grind and hone your tools properly.
2. Get with another turner for at least a few minutes to review safe operation of a lathe. ( never wear long sleeves or excessive rings, etc )

Scott Lux
02-28-2008, 9:11 AM
I enthralled. How do I start? Do you have any links you can recommend for how-to's on miniatures? I think I figured out what my mini-lathe is for!

charlie knighton
02-28-2008, 9:29 AM
very nice...

Bill Stevener
02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the additional photos Brian, very nice.
I have tried to generate some interest hear in the past with regards to mines, but folks just seem to continue to throw there scraps away. :confused:
I may try it again and call the thread, something along the lines of the Dollar General Store. "Anything Under A Dime" or close to it. " A Quarter or Less" may work well. :D