PDA

View Full Version : Finish On Painted Bookcase

Rich Huhra
02-26-2008, 9:01 AM
I've been asked to build two bookcases each 16d,24w,96h. They want them with a painted finish. What would be the best material to use in order to get a good painted finish on them.

Thanks
Richard

J. Z. Guest
02-26-2008, 9:12 AM
I'd use plywood. It will be a good mix of strength, price, and porosity. Just get a high enough grade that it is straight.

Matthew Voss
02-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I usually use poplar plywood and would recommend a good quality alkyd primer.

Chris Padilla
02-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Birch plywood paints up nicely as would poplar. I'd stay away from oak as it is quite porous and any other hardwoods are too pricey to paint over (maple, cherry, etc.).

Use 3/4" for the carcass and perhaps you might consider thicker shelves although at 16" deep, 3/4" will probably be plenty. You may wish to edge-band the plywood in a hardwood (like poplar or birch) as that will add strength. 1/4" plywood for the back should suffice to keep it from racking and stiffen it up.

Whatever you do, do not use good old latex paint for bookshelves...your books will stick to the shelves even if you let the paint "dry" for 10 years! :)

Danny Thompson
02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Chris,

If not latex, then what?

Chris Padilla
02-26-2008, 1:00 PM
Chris,

If not latex, then what?

Alkyd! :) Or, if you don't want to mess with oils, try www.targetcoatings.com (http://www.targetcoatings.com) or my personal favorite, CrystaLac.

Here is a thread to consider: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12547

Joe Chritz
02-26-2008, 3:36 PM
If you have a Sherwin Williams store local the ProClassic is a finish often used for cabinet paint jobs and the like.

If you can spray then tinted USL is pretty hard to beat for quality and ease of use.

If the finish is going to be white then do some extra research. White finishes tend to yellow a lot and some are better at resisting that. I don't do much paint stuff so I can't give a specific example.

MDF is the standard for paint grade stuff but with a bookshelf that will most likely be used plywood of a good grade is probably a better option. It also depends on what you are doing for shelves. MDF tends to sag and get worse over time.

Joe