PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Questions

Peter Stahl
02-26-2008, 8:54 AM
Using iTunes isn't easy. I have duplicate/double songs for a lot of albums. Is there a easy way to undo this? I know I can physically delete every other song but that would take too long. Also do you know how I might have caused this? Any really good iTunes sites or 2nd party software out there? I have Anapod but that's for organizing your iPod.

thanks, Pete

Harry Hagan
02-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Peter,

Google the phrase, "removing duplicate songs on itunes", and you'll learn that the answer to you question seems to be "no". There is add-on software designed for that purpose that will make it faster. Also, bear in mind that all "duplicates" are not created equal. They might be studio recordings, live recordings or shorter versions for radio play. Take a minute to make sure you really want to delete those duplicates.

Here's one of the more helpful sites: http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/ipodsupport/duplicates/index.shtml

Jason Christenson
02-26-2008, 10:34 AM
It wouldn't really take that long to delete the duplicates. Just hold down the control key and click on all of them to high lite them, then right click and dump them all at once.

Jason

Peter Stahl
02-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Peter,

Google the phrase, "removing duplicate songs on itunes", and you'll learn that the answer to you question seems to be "no". There is add-on software designed for that purpose that will make it faster. Also, bear in mind that all "duplicates" are not created equal. They might be studio recordings, live recordings or shorter versions for radio play. Take a minute to make sure you really want to delete those duplicates.

Here's one of the more helpful sites: http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/ipodsupport/duplicates/index.shtml

Harry,

I made the duplicates using the iTunes software somehow. All the duplicates are copies. Lots of albums so I was looking for a way to do it automatically. Thanks for the reply.

Peter Stahl
02-26-2008, 12:07 PM
It wouldn't really take that long to delete the duplicates. Just hold down the control key and click on all of them to high lite them, then right click and dump them all at once.

Jason

Jason,

It does take a while to go through over a thousand songs. Thats why I was hoping there was a way in iTunes to do this easier. I hate learning the hard way and would like to find out how I did this also.

thanks, Pete

Harry Hagan
02-26-2008, 3:24 PM
Go to "View", "Show Duplicates". Then try sorting by "date added". That might differentiate between the original and the copies. Then hold the shift button down and click on the first and last song that you want to delete, then hit delete.

Matt Meiser
02-26-2008, 3:35 PM
This happened to me when I was first setting up my iTunes library. We have it on our main PC and I wanted the music files on a network share so that I could copy the iTunes library files to a second PC in the shop and have the same playlists, ratings, etc. At some point I created all the duplicates. Then a month or so ago my wife got an iPod so I downloaded and ran MyFairTunes against about 40 songs I've purchased through the iTunes store to convert them to a non DRM format and it did something similar. I also lost my ratings for those songs, which I didn't realize until after I deleted the original files. Just a warning in case you have a need for MyFairTunes.

Peter Stahl
02-26-2008, 4:13 PM
Go to "View", "Show Duplicates". Then try sorting by "date added". That might differentiate between the original and the copies. Then hold the shift button down and click on the first and last song that you want to delete, then hit delete.

Thanks again Harry. Guess I'll have to do this the hard way. You would think iTunes would be easier to use being it from Macintosh.

Peter Stahl
02-26-2008, 4:17 PM
This happened to me when I was first setting up my iTunes library. We have it on our main PC and I wanted the music files on a network share so that I could copy the iTunes library files to a second PC in the shop and have the same playlists, ratings, etc. At some point I created all the duplicates. Then a month or so ago my wife got an iPod so I downloaded and ran MyFairTunes against about 40 songs I've purchased through the iTunes store to convert them to a non DRM format and it did something similar. I also lost my ratings for those songs, which I didn't realize until after I deleted the original files. Just a warning in case you have a need for MyFairTunes.

Matt,

Never used MyFairTunes. Don't have any downloaded music, it's all from my CD's. You would think this digital song stuff would be easier. It's definitely not idiot proof.

Matt Meiser
02-26-2008, 4:22 PM
I've been rather dissapointed in iTunes usability more than once. This is just one of those places. The search is pretty bad too.

Harry Hagan
02-26-2008, 4:39 PM
Peter,

Let me know if my suggestion works. If it does, it should just take a few mouse clicks.

Steve knight
02-27-2008, 1:18 AM
Itunes can drive you buggy. I listen to a lot of audio books and between it and my ipod it can really screw up a book. it may show the tracks in the right order get them on my ipod and they are all scrambled.

Peter Stahl
02-27-2008, 6:02 AM
Peter,

Let me know if my suggestion works. If it does, it should just take a few mouse clicks.

Harry,

It would have had I didn't do what I did within a short time. Time difference between the 2 copies was close so I had to do a album at a time. Used your method with that though.

thanks, Pete

Jason Christenson
02-27-2008, 9:08 AM
I listen to a lot of audio books...

Steve, you should check out http://www.podiobooks.com/index.php, you might like it. All free content.

Jason