PDA

View Full Version : New mobile work table with hillbilly castor locks

Stephen Edwards
02-26-2008, 8:52 AM
I needed a new mobile work table for some small benchtop tools and to have a place to stack material near larger machines for table saw and jointer operations.

Being the packrat that I am, I built the entire table using materials recycled from older items that I no longer used. However, I didn't have the proper type of casters to make the table stable when "parked". So, I used the casters that I did have on hand and made my own brakes/stablizers for the table using one end of very old, cheap HF 1/2" pipe clamps, short threaded nipples as used in plumbing, and conduit clamps. Total cost for this project was less than $5.00!

Below are some pics. The first photo shows the entire table:

This photo is a close up of the stablizer in the up position:

Finally, when the table is located where you want it you simply turn the clamp handle which pushes down on the block of wood attached to the bottom of the clamp plate, lifting the wheels (and the table) slightly off the floor.

Grant Davis
02-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Hillbilly or not if it works for you what more can you ask for?

Travis Gauger
02-26-2008, 1:03 PM
I love it. I appreciate the home grown engineering. Have a few of those style projects completed myself. There should be a new forum topic on just that. Home made solutions or something. So many times I see responses to peoples questions that involve going out and spending hard earned cash when something like this may be all that's needed. Eitherway, Nice job on getting it done on the cheap.

Charles Wiggins
02-26-2008, 1:17 PM
If you want to upgrade from Hillbilly engineering to Redneck engineering, figure out a way to integrate some duct tape! :D

http://www.submarineboat.com/sub/images/duct_tape.JPG

Paul Simmel
02-26-2008, 2:07 PM
That's over $40 worth of "cranks", not very HB like IMO. Some extra large wedges would be more like it.

Noun: hillbilly
1. A disparaging term for an unsophisticated person

[WordWeb.info]

Stephen Edwards
02-26-2008, 2:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks! I appreciate it.

Actually, the cranks are more than 20 years old. You can still buy them, or ones similiar to them, at Harbor Freight for about 3 bucks each when they go on sale several times a year.

Noun: hillbilly
1. A complimentary, non offensive term used to describe country people with a can do attitude in certain parts of the South.

From Southern Traditions

Tim Thomas
02-26-2008, 2:31 PM
Thanks for the idea and the pics. I've been meaning to try my hand at a do-it-yourself mobile base, and using those cranks is a better solution than anything I have come up with so far. They should also help out with the fact that my garage floor isn't very level.

Victor Stearns
02-27-2008, 7:19 AM
Nice use of the clamps.

Dave Verstraete
02-27-2008, 7:44 AM
Stephen

For going above and beyond your duty of saving money, I pronounce you an "Honorary Dutchman".

Seriously...Nice Job