PDA

View Full Version : Share your method of storing turning tools,chucks, etc?

Ken Glass
02-26-2008, 8:08 AM
Turners,
How about some pictures of how you store your turning tools, chucks, spurs, centers, measuring tools, etc. to keep them handy when you are at the lathe. I have partially seen some of them, when you post pictures of work, but would like to see the area and method that you use to keep them controlled and convenient. I thought this would be interesting post and also give me some ideas, since I am just starting out gathering tools for my new 3520b lathe. In the past, at least, in my workshop, it has always been a work in progress to keep tools at the ready for projects, and I have changed my shop layout many times. I hope this produces some great storage ideas.....

Raymond Overman
02-26-2008, 8:32 AM
Just store them piled up on top of your table saw. It's not like you're going to need it anymore. :eek:

Sorry for the joke this early in the morning. It was the first thing that came to me and I just had to type it. I store my tools and accessories on hooks on a peg board behind my lathe. Other accessories go on shelves. I probably need a better system.

Scott Lux
02-26-2008, 9:41 AM
I just leave mine in the pile of shavings on my workbench. Of course I sweep it all up every couple of weeks. Are gouges supposed to have brown speckles? ;)

Ron Drew
02-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I have a TINY shop, so walls become storage space, and for tools, the front of my bench. My lathe sits on the bench to save space, and the dog holes are useful for holding tools I use frequently.

Ted Calver
02-26-2008, 12:34 PM
I follow Raymond's method...on the tablesaw, then if I need that, the bandsaw, then if I need that the hydraulic cart thingy with the planer on it, then....stop making fun of me Raymond!!

Raymond Overman
02-26-2008, 12:54 PM
I follow Raymond's method...on the tablesaw, then if I need that, the bandsaw, then if I need that the hydraulic cart thingy with the planer on it, then....stop making fun of me Raymond!!

Hey, sometimes the material just writes itself.

Jack Mincey
02-26-2008, 1:09 PM
I built this rolling stand that holds most of my tools and chucks. I can then roll it to where they are easy to get at. A blast from a air hose gets the saw dust off. My son wanted in the photo.:)
Jack
http://usera.imagecave.com/flyrod444/100_0627-copy.jpg

Keith Burns
02-26-2008, 1:30 PM
I like conevience. Here's mine.

Ken Glass
02-26-2008, 2:07 PM
Jack,
Looks like a turner in the making on the left. Handsome lad indeed. Great idea for a movable cart.

Scott Donley
02-26-2008, 4:29 PM
The wall, most used, the shelf, least used (might be cause I can't find them) the container has the chucks and mics. wrenches and stuff. Have another identical container for all the pen turning stuff.

Ken Glass
02-26-2008, 5:38 PM
Great Guys,
Keep-um coming. I saw someone here several months back that uses 1-1/2" PVC pipe for keeping their lathe chisels in. Anyone else do that?

Brian Brown
02-26-2008, 5:39 PM
Ken,

Like Scott, I just store my tools in the shavings under my lathe.

I just leave mine in the pile of shavings on my workbench. Of course I sweep it all up every couple of weeks. Are gouges supposed to have brown speckles? ;)

It's like a satin pillow for tools! I'm sure they are very comfy there on that soft bed. Unfortunately, each time a I sweep up the bench, my tools come up missing for some strange reason. :confused: There seems to be some sort of weird magnetic field/Bermuda triangle thing going on around my shop. Maybe it's gremlins. :eek: Sure it's fun shopping for new tools, but it's getting pricey. As much as I like to make my tools comfy on their soft bed of shavings, maybe it's time for a new storage system. I'm looking forward to the serious answers to your question. Ok, the not so serious are even more fun.:D I promise to line my new storage system with foam rubber and velvet upholstery.

Jim Underwood
02-26-2008, 5:50 PM
I keep mine in a pile on the workbench. That way I never get bored...:D

I once spent 30 minutes looking for a tool I had in my hand the whole time. I only found it because I finally went to pick something up to look under it and had to have both hands.:o

Scott Hubl
02-26-2008, 5:50 PM
Heres mine, on my Jet 1442.

I used the extra deep closet white wire shelving for the bottom shelf and a narrower one for the upper.

My thought was that the wire shelving would allow the chips to fall through.

Not so when there FULL of tools. lol

I am cutting up 1-1/2" PVC pieces right now with a 30 degree angle at the top, with NO wall space available i'm still not sure how i'm going to utilize them yet, plan so far is to PVC Cement them together in circles around each other and maybe mount on a few tiered lazy suzan type thing.

Still working on the details with over 60 Sorbys and a few other chisels I need something.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/1442%20hold%20fast%20and%20shelves/close-up-shelves.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/1442%20hold%20fast%20and%20shelves/1442-shelves.jpg

Brent Pauba
02-26-2008, 6:08 PM
Good thread, ill keep an eye and take notes because I am already starting to misplace tools! argh

Dale Overman
02-26-2008, 7:12 PM
Try a 5 gallon plastic bucket with PVC pipe in it to store lathe tools. When needed you have them in a container with a handle on it. Maybe several buckets so the tools can be seperated into BOWL,SPENDLE, etc.

Scott Lux
02-26-2008, 7:24 PM
I once spent 30 minutes looking for a tool I had in my hand the whole time.

I hate to tell you this, but that's not an organization problem. And it gets worse with age. :D

Bob Opsitos
02-26-2008, 7:24 PM
Here's mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/Tools/1-8-06andXmas048.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/Tools/1-8-06andXmas049.jpg

Bob

Nathan Hawkes
02-26-2008, 7:28 PM
I keep mine in a pile on the workbench. That way I never get bored...:D

I once spent 30 minutes looking for a tool I had in my hand the whole time. I only found it because I finally went to pick something up to look under it and had to have both hands.:o

I did almost the same thing looking for a drill chuck to set the depth to hollow a couple blanks. I looked under the lathe, under my cabinets, & went crazy thinking that it'd rolled out of the shed onto the ground outside. Turned out it was mounted in the tailstock already. I hadn't put it away the last time I used it!!!! It ended up being a help, really. I cleaned up a couple piles of blanks & cutoffs that had been bothering me for a couple weeks!!

Fred Conte
02-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Bob - Very nice and clever!

Allen Neighbors
02-26-2008, 11:12 PM
I made the A-Frame rolling tool rack out of an Ambulance Gurney that was tossed on the metal pile at the landfill. A frame is made from pine 2Xs and pegboard. This is an older photo... it has modified fishing rod holders and now has some babyfood jarlids to keep some more tools standing on the lower right. The backside holds my bowl steady and spindle steady, coring tools and such, and the hollowing rig is inside at the bottom. My chucks and other attachments are kept on the top.
The little rolling cart is also from a shortened gurney. I keep it next to me on whatever side of the lathe I'm on, for the tools I'm currently using. The large wheels make it travel easy over shavings.