PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Rescue - Complete

Tim Thomas
02-25-2008, 9:37 PM
On February 16th I bought a used jointer at a garage sale that really needed some cleaning up. I posted about it last week with a couple of pics of the clean up in process: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77024 Now I am finished so I thought I would post up a couple more before and after pics.

I finished scrubbing/sanding all the rust off and waxed the cast iron this past weekend. After work today I reinstalled the knives, then hooked the jointer up to my DC and tested it on some scrap 2x4. I have never used a jointer before, so I'm not an expert on jointer quality by any means, but I was very impressed with the results. The machine ran smoothly, pretty quietly and with little vibration. I was able to joint the face completely flat, then both edges flat and 90 degrees to that face, so what more could I want? A couple passes through my thickness planer (also a Ridgid tool) and I had made my first ever piece of 4S wood. Woot!

I think it took me about 10 hours of total time to get the jointer cleaned up, because I pretty much took it completely apart, but I am super happy with the results. To me it seems to run like a brand new machine, but I only paid $100 for it. I did add a link belt, but even adding in that cost and all of my cleaning supplies I think I probably was still under $140 for everything. (And I have plenty of Scotch Brite pads, sandpaper and WD-40 left over for cleaning up the next used tool I "rescue").

Thanks to everyone who has ever made a post on this site about cleaning off rust and/or protecting cast iron, tuning up a jointer, or offering any advice about this particular model from Ridgid. I did a lot of reading of countless threads to help me through this process and I'm sure I'll be doing a lot more as I continue to get familiar with this tool. This forum and the community behind it is a great resource and I'm really glad I found it. Thanks again.

Now, where is that donate button... I think I need a new hat. :)

Greg Cuetara
02-25-2008, 9:46 PM
Good Job. Now go make some wood flat.
Greg

David Sallee
02-25-2008, 10:14 PM
GREAT job on the clean up! Looks almost new!

Dave

Quesne Ouaques
02-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Looks great, Tim. I'm sure you'll be happy with the Ridgid jointer. I've had mine for a couple of years, and I love it.

Eddie Darby
02-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Nice work!!!!!!!:D

gary Zimmel
02-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Nice job on the clean up. She looks like it's ready for a good workout!

Todd Bin
02-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Nice job on the jointer and Amen on that signature line.

Kyle Costlow
02-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Tim, Great job my friend! Looks perfect:cool:

Do you have any new tips for me since our last dialog(I really appreciate the help btw)? I'm still trying to get all the rust off my project... I'm starting to think some of it is permanent.

Stephen Edwards
02-26-2008, 6:22 AM
Looks great Kyle!!! And you've got the right attitude, too. It's a great feeling to bring an old tool back to life and then use it to build whatever you're passionate about!

You're off to a good start, keep on truckin'!

Tim Malyszko
02-26-2008, 9:04 AM
Nice job - it looks nearly new.

Enjoy the Jointer.