PDA

View Full Version : I spent all my money.. I didnt have much but check out what I got!!

Kyle Costlow
02-25-2008, 8:45 PM
I went to see a used dust collector. 2hp TEFC grizzly, it was about 12years older than I thought it was going to be(the motor was made in 1988) He was asking 150$.
I thought it seemed kinda high something so old. Then he fired it up and its a beast, since I plan to send all the dust out a window into a box I didn't care that its filtration nonexistent. While I was thinking about it we started talking, and he was getting out of the hobby, he could tell that I was really passionate about getting into the hobby, and he started giving me things... He offered me all his duct work once he got it down. Lots of sliding lock ducts and all the piping I will need. A free dado stack(a few missing) a free custom router fence for a router table I might build someday.
Then he showed me rockler taper jig, 2 benchdog feather boards, and a Kreg 2000 system complete and mounted; he asked me what I would give him for it everything including the dust collector. I handed him all my money(210$) and he though for a second, and said "well I'll never use it, and your helping me clear out space, deal". And I went home with a big smile and some fine tools.

Rob Bodenschatz
02-25-2008, 8:48 PM
I don't see anything.

Kyle Costlow
02-25-2008, 8:50 PM
I don't have my camera with me, so no pictures yet(im storing it at my girlfriends for now)
I got a 2hp DC with all the ducts I will need
Kreg 2000 kit
Rockler Taper jig
2 Bench dog feather boards
router table fence
partial dado stack

Peter Quinn
02-25-2008, 8:51 PM
A picture tells a thousand words....where are the pictures? Congrats

Charles Wiggins
02-25-2008, 8:54 PM
No pics - didn't happen.

Tim Thomas
02-25-2008, 8:56 PM
I believe you Kyle!

Of course, you could make it easier for me to believe you... ...by posting some pictures.

Just kidding man. Congrats on your find. Sounds like you got a spetacular deal and met a really nice person to boot. I hope everything works out well with the dust collector and your other new "toys".

Bryan Berguson
02-25-2008, 8:58 PM
Kyle,

Sounds like a gloat to me! :) That old fellow took good care of you by your list. Good score!

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? I was about 28 (42 now) when I really started taking an interest in woodworking but you look a little younger than that.

Bryan

Kyle Costlow
02-25-2008, 9:00 PM
haha sorry guys, I'll get it all home and get some real evidence and gloat later:D
thanks Tim:)

Kyle Costlow
02-25-2008, 9:02 PM
I'm 23. I made my first project when I was 21, and have wanted to get tools ever since.

Bryan Berguson
02-25-2008, 9:05 PM
I'm 23. I made my first project when I was 21, and have wanted to get tools ever since.

That's pretty cool! Is woodworking just a hobby or are you trying to make a career out of it?

Bryan

Ben Cadotte
02-25-2008, 9:08 PM
Ah, the motor is newer than you. Sound like you might have gotten a good deal if it really happened. :D Tell you what. Send me the 2 feather boards for proof, and I will post a picture of them for you. Then everyone will know you got a good score.

Return shipping not guranateed!!! :D

glenn bradley
02-25-2008, 9:08 PM
I don't have my camera with me, so no pictures yet(im storing it at my girlfriends for now)
I got a 2hp DC with all the ducts I will need
Kreg 2000 kit
Rockler Taper jig
2 Bench dog feather boards
router table fence
partial dado stack

OK, first the story about the stuff and no pics. Now the story about it is at his girl friends. I tell ya there's one born every minute . . . Just kidding Kyle! Great haul.

Kudos by the way for thinking about DC early in the game. You'll love the pocket hole method and a router table will definitely be in your future whether you use the fence you got or another one. Again, congrats.

Kyle Costlow
02-25-2008, 9:13 PM
Right now its a hobby, I hope to sell some things and make it a self sustaining hobby, and then maybe a side career(small business sorta thing).
I plan to build cages for small pets( I keep reptiles personally), but I plan to keep trying new things.\
this is my first project, I borrowed my friend's(he's a carpenter) shop;
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/nomad85/IMG_1435.jpg
It can be stacked or be 3 separate units.

Kyle Costlow
02-25-2008, 9:23 PM
Tell you what. Send me the 2 feather boards for proof, and I will post a picture of them for you. Then everyone will know you got a good score.

hah. I saw the same ones at lowes for 30$, I got them basically free:)

Bryan Berguson
02-25-2008, 9:32 PM
Wow! Very nice! You say that was your FIRST project?! You are off to a great start!

Bryan

Derek Hansen
02-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Finally another woodworker in their twenties! I'm 25 and I don't know anyone else my age who is even remotely "handy", nevermind a woodworker.

Bob Feeser
02-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Kyle,
The edge banding, highly figured sides, the accent of the darker pieces for rails for the doors, all lend a depth, and attractiveness of the piece. Even the complimentary yet darker shade of the rear panel, add yet even more depth. Something like this project could have been done very boringly, but instead you turned it into a work of art. It was smart naturally finishing it as well. Staining could have ruined it. Nice work. Proportionately well balanced. The reptiles that will use the project are fortunate to have you to build them a home. Keep up the great work.

Right now its a hobby, I hope to sell some things and make it a self sustaining hobby, and then maybe a side career(small business sorta thing).
I plan to build cages for small pets( I keep reptiles personally), but I plan to keep trying new things.\
this is my first project, I borrowed my friend's(he's a carpenter) shop;
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/nomad85/IMG_1435.jpg
It can be stacked or be 3 separate units.

John Thompson
02-25-2008, 11:41 PM
That is exceptional work, Kyle. Good to see that you got some throw-ins on the DC deal. Just pick up tools when you can afford them and it will all come together eventually. I'm finally through accumulating and it only took 36 years.

Again.. very nice job you did and keep plugging as you most definitely have potential in this hobby evidenced by your pics of what you did with borrowed tools.

Good luck...

Sarge..

J. Z. Guest
02-26-2008, 1:14 AM
Good deal Kyle. You're going to like that Kreg jig more than you think. ;)

Mike Langford
02-26-2008, 1:47 AM
Congrats Kyle.....Great score!

Oh....BTW did I mention........