PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrgh! New pin nailer needed!

Fred Miller
02-25-2008, 5:49 PM
Hello Folks,

I'm ready to toss my Harbor Freight 23ga pinner in the local dump. With reasonable price and performance in mind, does anyone have recommendations for a replacement?

Bill Jepson
02-25-2008, 5:53 PM
The PC pin nailer for a good nailer for a fair price, unreasonable price but excellent function Grex. If you don't need the 2" capability, ie a 1-1/2" or less, the prices are MUCH cheaper on both units.
Bill J

jim sauterer
02-25-2008, 6:03 PM
bought a grex.great pinner but kinda high in price.cadex rates pretty good also.

Cary Falk
02-25-2008, 6:23 PM
I have this one and am happy with it.
http://www.toolmarts.com/air_locker_p630.html

Chris Padilla
02-25-2008, 6:26 PM
Omer makes very good nailers but they aren't cheap....

Bob Willcox
02-25-2008, 6:46 PM
I recently purchased the Bynford BYN-FNP2335 from here:

http://www.woodworkerspecialties.com/Pages/Nailers%20Details/Bynford%2018%20Gauge_files/Bynford%2023%20Gauge%20Headless%20Pinner.htm

but I can't say much about it yet as I haven't had a chance to try it out. However, my son (a big "Tool Time" fan) did get a real kick out of the name.

Mike Spanbauer
02-25-2008, 7:04 PM
reasonable price = $??

mike

J. Z. Guest
02-25-2008, 7:17 PM
Every time I walk in Menards, I'm eyeballing their electric Arrow brad nailer. A nailer is the only thing I'd need compressed air for, so I'd rather pay for an electric one.

The one I'm thinking of is called the "Arrowmaster" or something, and costs $60 with the case. It fires 18 ga. brads from 1/2" to 1-1/4".

Peter Quinn
02-25-2008, 7:25 PM
I have the PC 23Ga pinner...not bad for what I paid, but its REAL prone to putting dings in the wood bigger than the headless pins. Takes a real light touch to keep it from maring the work. I used to use a Senco at work, probably worth the extra money, real nice tool, leaves no noticable indents under normal use.

I guess prices go up quick if you need the longer lengths, cause both the PC and the Senco max out at 1", which is the longest pin I use regularly anyway.

Scott Vigder
02-25-2008, 11:50 PM
The Grex isn't cheap but works like a charm. Smooth operation, great balance, and a very well designed trigger guard that does not drive you crazy.

Bart Leetch
02-26-2008, 12:17 AM
I recently purchased the Bynford BYN-FNP2335 from here:

http://www.woodworkerspecialties.com/Pages/Nailers%20Details/Bynford%2018%20Gauge_files/Bynford%2023%20Gauge%20Headless%20Pinner.htm

but I can't say much about it yet as I haven't had a chance to try it out. However, my son (a big "Tool Time" fan) did get a real kick out of the name.

That the same one Harbor Freight sells.

Dan Clark
02-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Every time I walk in Menards, I'm eyeballing their electric Arrow brad nailer. A nailer is the only thing I'd need compressed air for, so I'd rather pay for an electric one.

The one I'm thinking of is called the "Arrowmaster" or something, and costs $60 with the case. It fires 18 ga. brads from 1/2" to 1-1/4".
Jeremy,

I have one of those and a stapler too. Can we spell "Junk"?!? IMO, they are WORTHLESS!!! A complete waste of money.

Get an inexpensive compressor and then start outfitting yourself with PC or other good quality staplers and brad nailers. IMO, the cheapest pneumatic brad nailer is better than the best electric brad nailer.

/Rant = OFF.

Dan.

Jim Broestler
02-26-2008, 1:02 AM
I've got the Arrow brad nailer too. Junk. Won't sink a brad in anything. Even in pine the brad is still at least an eighth inch proud. Thin plywood is about the only thing it might nail flush.

Gotta go pneumatic. I need a pinner too. Think I'll save up for the Grex.

Steven DeMars
02-26-2008, 1:04 AM
Grex
Grex
Grex
Grex
Grex
Grex

Randy Cohen
02-26-2008, 6:14 AM
can someone explain when to use a pin nailer?

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-26-2008, 7:00 AM
Fred, You get what you pay for.....get a Grex!

Greg Narozniak
02-26-2008, 7:41 AM
I own the Senco and I have been very happy with it. I got it three years ago @ the Woodworks show in Ft. Washinton (Actually bought it from Jim Senco) The gun is well balanced and I have put a lot of pins through it and it has not malfunctioned once. I like the soft grip very comfy in hand.

The PC has somewhat of a saftey in the trigger lock and you do not have to adjust the gun for different size pins where you do have to on the Senco but @ the time I paid $125 (With an assortment of Pins) for the Senco and the PC was $140 @ the PC booth and they were not budging on the price. For me it made it a no brainer

Senco has always been a world class tool and this one is no different. Grex get a lot of good reviews but they are pricey. If I was a production house then I would look hard at them but with the quality of the Senco I do not feel that I "Sacraficed" so I am very satisfied Senco owner.

Bob Willcox
02-26-2008, 8:52 AM
That the same one Harbor Freight sells.
I don't believe so. The Harbor freight ones look significantly different, aren't auto adjusting for different pin lengths, only support 1" pins vs. 1 3/8" pins, and the Harbor Freight nailer is less than half the price of the Bynford (for whatever that's worth). Here are the URLs for the Harbor freight and for the Bynford (as seen on Amazon, though it seems that it's the same guy that is selling the Bynford everywhere as far as I can tell):

Harbor freight pin nailer: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93656

Bynford pin nailer: http://www.amazon.com/Bynford-35mm-Gauge-Headless-Nailer/dp/B000V5XF0Q