PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus and spyware program recommendation

Lewis Ehrhardt
02-25-2008, 5:39 PM
I'm looking for an all-in-one suite, i.e firewall, antivirus, spyware program. Any recommendations? Or, is it better to buy individual. Thanks t

Joe Pelonio
02-25-2008, 6:21 PM
After finding problems with the "all in one" packages like McAfee and Norton, mainly that they interfere with other programs and are nearly impossible to completely uninstall later, I went with the following which I keep updated regularly and have had no problems in two years, also no conflicts between them:

Noadware
AVG
Spyware Doctor
Spybot
CWshredder

Charles Wiggins
02-25-2008, 7:24 PM
I'm looking for an all-in-one suite, i.e firewall, antivirus, spyware program. Any recommendations? Or, is it better to buy individual. Thanks t

Joe makes a good point. I've had those problems, esp. with MacAfee, but I currently use Trend Micro's Internet Security Suite, which is based around their PC-cillin antivirus, and so far I am quite pleased. Sometimes it blocks some commercial links that feed through certain advertisers sites, but I've got it pretty locked down because of my son, and it's pretty easy to override if you know the password.

We use the pro version at work and it's absolutely fantastic. No problems due to the Trend at all.

Greg Just
02-25-2008, 7:37 PM
I use McAfee and have for many years. Once you buy it, you can usually find renewals that cost little or nothing. In fact, just today I sent in for another update for $11.99 from www.buy.com (http://www.buy.com) and there is a $30 rebate from McAfee - they are paying me to use it! Can't beat that!

Jim Becker
02-25-2008, 7:47 PM
I'm now using the ZoneAlarm suite...the price was right and it's unobtrusive performance wise. (I'd be using AVG suite, except I prefer the ZoneAlarm firewall) McAfee and Norton, in my experience are real pigs, both in size and how they bog down the system. I have to suffer through McAfee on my work machine every day, but have no choice in that matter...

Matt Meiser
02-25-2008, 8:05 PM
AVG Free here on my home PCs. When Norton on my work PC expires, it will be replaced by the pay version of AVG.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-25-2008, 8:12 PM
I'm using Bit Defender for one year now. Oddly enough, I'm downloading the latest version as I write this. I use ZoneAlarm (free version) as the firewall and scan with AdAware by LavaSoft and Spybot S&D (both free) every week for additional spyware protection...but Bit Defender has always done the trick.

I have McAfee on a second computer. It is very expensive and will likely be removed because I just bought 3 copies of Bit Defender for only $30. PC Magazine rated Bit Defender last year as number 1...whatever that means

-Jeff :)

John Newell
02-25-2008, 8:13 PM
I've tried most - am using now on all our machines NOD32. It's light, fast and doesn't seem to conflict with anything anyone (self, wife, college and HS boys) runs.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2008, 8:19 PM
I've been using ZoneAlarm Pro for a couple of years now. You might still be able to download ZoneAlarm Firewall free. The Pro verision gives you an anti-virus as well as a spy-blocker, a/v , add blockers and firewall all in one.

I used to use Norton but the thing really did some bad things to my machine and only through a complete reload was I able to get it off.

ZoneAlarm.....works well...don't know it's there.

Eric Franklin
02-25-2008, 8:30 PM
Get a mac and you don't need to worry about.:)

Seriously, I would recommend AVG Anti-Malware for anti-virus and spyware. I don't use any firewall except for that comes with windows.

I would avoid any Norton products. I've seen to many times that Norton creates more problems than it ever solves.

Just my 2 cents worth.

David G Baker
02-25-2008, 9:22 PM
I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite and have been happy with it for several years. I just purchased a new machine that has Vista on it and had to buy a new copy of the security suite even though my XP copy had not expired yet.
I just downloaded Adware and have found it so different from the copy I had on my XP machine that it is some what confusing to me.

John Hain
02-25-2008, 9:29 PM
Joe makes a good point. I've had those problems, esp. with MacAfee, but I currently use Trend Micro's Internet Security Suite, which is based around their PC-cillin antivirus, and so far I am quite pleased. Sometimes it blocks some commercial links that feed through certain advertisers sites, but I've got it pretty locked down because of my son, and it's pretty easy to override if you know the password.

We use the pro version at work and it's absolutely fantastic. No problems due to the Trend at all.

Same here. Haven't run into any problems with it at this point. I run a couple spyware programs now and then to clean the system as needed (spybot, PC-Cillin, Adaware....all free versions).

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-25-2008, 9:55 PM
Don't waste your money.

1. There hasn't been a virus sent to individual users since 2000.

2, Spyware/adware changes so often that any packaged cleaning program is at least a month out of date. There is a free site to visit monthly that keeps abreast of spyware/adware changes and will keep you out of trouble (AT NO COST) The other programs just want your money. It is Trend Micro.

My son owns and runs a computer store that sells and services computers, programs, does networking, etc. He has a reputation for the best in town (GEEK SQUAD send people to him)

Neither he or I have had a resident program on our machines and have NEVER been hit with a virus! One caveat, Don't download pirated copies of music, movies andon't do to "THOSE" sites (You know what I mean) that's where the trouble lies.

If you get to someplace you don't want to be, Pull your plug immediately! Don't try to get away from it.

Bruce

Greg Peterson
02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Good points Bruce. I try to keep a pretty clean existence on the Internet and the only time I have received a virus (three times in thirteen years) was via email. Antivirus caught 'em before I even saw it.

These days if an email gets through my ISP's spam filter and I don't know, recognize or expect an email from a sender, I don't even bother looking at it. Dump it.

Good clean living on the Internet should not only be the first line of defense, but is also the best line of defense. That said, other users may not be as pure and innocent as I am, so for them I make sure there is a line of defense, Norton.

Getting it working on the network takes some doing. I'm up for renewal in a few months and am looking to move on. Thinking about using AVG. I use the free version at home. Seems to work fine.

Greg Funk
02-25-2008, 11:32 PM
I thought I was the only one who didn't run any anti-virus software. With a decent firewall and staying away from 'suspect' sites I don't seem to have any problems with viruses. I think Norton, Symantec etc waste just as much time as viruses.

I also like to re-install windows every 6-12 months.

Greg

Phil Thien
02-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Anti-virus: Free ed. of AVG (http://free.grisoft.com)
Spyware: Nick's SuperAntiSpyware (http://www.superantispyware.com).

Jim Becker
02-26-2008, 8:13 AM
Well, Bruce....I hope you and your family don't keep any personal financial records on your computers! I personally have seen the software stop problems (and have 23+ years experience in the computer/IT/Telcom industry) and I don't visit "those sites" nor open attachments I was not expecting, etc., and I run both a software and hardware firewall. There are so many nefarious ways that you can get infected these days and yes, they do change frequently, but the reputable software updates frequently to deal with those changes. I think that the small cost is absolutely worth it...

glenn bradley
02-26-2008, 8:22 AM
I thought I was the only one who didn't run any anti-virus software. With a decent firewall and staying away from 'suspect' sites I don't seem to have any problems with viruses. I think Norton, Symantec etc waste just as much time as viruses.

I also like to re-install windows every 6-12 months.

Greg

Like Greg, I re-install once or twice a year just to clean up the inevitable trail Windows leaves in its wake. this also keeps the machine running at peak performance.

Unlike Greg, I have run plain ole Norton anti-virus for 12 years or so and can't remember the last time I had a virus . . . 1999 maybe? I do just practice common sense. I am always shocked that people will actually open email that either:

- they are not expecting (always a give-a-way to bad stuff)
- they cannot identify without opening (everyone knows that if they want me to read their email, the subject line and sender had better be clear)

At work my primary filter "junks" all email that I have not specifically permitted. I just do not accept unsolicited or unexpected items, period.

Prashun Patel
02-26-2008, 8:49 AM
If you don't open attachments, you can probably get by w/o antivirus. But if yr savvy enough to install yr own av or fw, then yr probably opening attachments too. Sophos makes the best av program out there.

Allen Miller
02-27-2008, 3:56 PM
I used Norton Antivirus for over five years. Its various versions worked fine until I bought their 2007 version. I couldn't get it to complete its install. After I bought it I found out alot of other people reported the same problem. So I searched the internet and found good reports on BitDefender. I bought a three user license and have been well pleased with its performance. As for a firewall I shut off the provided Windows version and am using Comodo firewall pro which is free.

James Rambo
02-27-2008, 8:36 PM
After having a few computer problems and calling in a "pro" had suggested removing McAfee and going with AVG. Have not had a problem since.

John Hain
02-27-2008, 8:43 PM
Well, Bruce....I hope you and your family don't keep any personal financial records on your computers! I personally have seen the software stop problems (and have 23+ years experience in the computer/IT/Telcom industry) and I don't visit "those sites" nor open attachments I was not expecting, etc., and I run both a software and hardware firewall. There are so many nefarious ways that you can get infected these days and yes, they do change frequently, but the reputable software updates frequently to deal with those changes. I think that the small cost is absolutely worth it...

That's what I was thinking Jim. It's even more impressive that he announces this while posting under his real name for the world to see. One case of identity theft will change his mind rather quickly about online protection.

James Jaragosky
02-27-2008, 9:29 PM
http://www.threatfire.com/stats/?version=3.0.14.16&
it was recommended by pc magazine last month as a 5 star real time threat protection all the way to root level
hope this helps
by the way i have been running it for 4 weeks now with no conflicts.
I am not affiliated with this company in any way just passing it along.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-28-2008, 4:38 PM
Norton...........

Curt Doles
03-05-2008, 7:25 PM
The last two broadband ISP providers I used provided AV software free.

My current ISP, AT&T DSL provides the Norton protection center with all the automatic updates. I also have a firewall in my wireless router.

I have heard, and it makes sense that Firefox users are less susceptable to attacks because most programs are written to take advantage of IE shortcomings.

Curt