PDA

View Full Version : Wild Black Cherry//Turquoise Inlay

Glenn Hodges
02-25-2008, 4:43 PM
Wild black cherry with turquoise inlay. This one is 9.5 inches wide X 3.5 inches high, and finished with lacquer. Your critique and comments are welcome and valuable.

Travis Gauger
02-25-2008, 4:45 PM
Just Beautiful. Wow, nice work.

Jay Jolliffe
02-25-2008, 5:16 PM
Really beautiful......How did you inlay the turquoise & where can the turquoise be bought.

Ben Gastfriend
02-25-2008, 5:51 PM
Amazing. The contrast really works well, it's a beautiful piece! Wow!

Kurt Bird
02-25-2008, 6:01 PM
Glenn,
The bowl is beautiful! The green of the turquoise is particularly nice with the red of the cherry. Well done!
Kurt:)

Dave Stoler
02-25-2008, 6:12 PM
Who woulda thunk the green would go so well will the cherry...Very,very nice!!

Arlan Ten Kley
02-25-2008, 6:27 PM
The turquoise really frames the beautiful grain present as well. Very nice.

Greg Just
02-25-2008, 6:38 PM
Glenn:

Very nice - love the contrast between the cherry and the inlay - How did you do that anyway?

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2008, 6:57 PM
Glenn - that is an outstanding bowl! I love the color of that black cherry - is that ever rich! I also like the way you slanted the rim ever-so-slight towards the center of the bowl. The color of the inlay really does highlight the color of the cherry - so they work very well together! Seriously - this bowl I like and it is because of the color combination. Very nice work Glenn! Thanks for posting!

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2008, 7:40 PM
Wow that really sets off the black cherry. Well done.

jack richington
02-25-2008, 7:43 PM
No errors..apparantly no one was watching you create this gorgeous bowl...keep hiding in your shop and produce more nice bowls, and send us pictures:cool:

Kevin McPeek
02-25-2008, 8:02 PM
I'll echo what everyone else has said, great form, the choice of fill and wood is excellent, and a great finish to top it off.
If I was to nit-pick it the only thing that I can see is the placement of the inlay. It seems like it may have better balance if it were centered in the rim. But as I said that's nit-picking it.
Great bowl!

Dale Gregory
02-25-2008, 9:05 PM
Wow, super nice effect! Really like the look and you did a great job on it.

Dale

Glenn Hodges
02-25-2008, 9:08 PM
I buy the turquoise on ebay, crush it in my shop, inlay it by hand in a grove cut with a parting tool, large pieces first, thin CA glue, then smaller pieces, then more CA glue. I sand with 40 grit because this is hard stuff. I will be glad to answer any more questions.

Toney Robertson
02-25-2008, 9:23 PM
I buy the turquoise on ebay, crush it in my shop, inlay it by hand in a grove cut with a parting tool, large pieces first, thin CA glue, then smaller pieces, then more CA glue. I sand with 40 grit because this is hard stuff. I will be glad to answer any more questions.

Glen,

Very nice piece.

When you sand with 40, how do you remove the marks from the surrounding wood?

What kind of lacquer did you use and how did you apply it.

By the way, is this a Christmas bow since it is green and red? :D

Nice job,

Toney

Curt Fuller
02-25-2008, 10:12 PM
They don't get much nicer than that! That's a beauty Glenn!

Glenn Hodges
02-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Toney, after the 40 grit I sand with 80 then up. I use Deft gloss out of a spray can. many coats, then buff with Menzerna course and fine(found in the Grizzly catalog).

Brian Poor
02-26-2008, 11:21 AM
That is a gorgeous bowl!

Is the blank one that you dried yourself? If so, do you have more bowls like this one in the pipeline?

Glenn Hodges
02-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Brian, I rough turned this one from green wood, let it soak over night in DNA, put it away to dry for a month, they finished turning it as you see. I do have other wild black cherry available.

Brian Poor
02-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Nice work, Glen.
Is denatured alcohol a drying process you picked here at the Creek or elsewhere?

Glenn Hodges
02-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Yes, I picked it up right here, and it works for me.

Mike Vickery
02-26-2008, 2:09 PM
very nice, the only critique I can offer is I am not crazy about the way the base bulges out. I think it would looks better if you continued the curve through the entire bowl. All in all a very nice piece though, beautiful job on the inlay.

Al Wasser
02-26-2008, 2:16 PM
You might want to check out Larry Fox's web site (Foxy Woodz). He does that kind of thing for a living. He demoed at our last meeting. He mixes the turquoise with epoxy.

Glenn Hodges
02-26-2008, 4:28 PM
Al, Stephen Hatcher has always been the woodturner I have imulated when it comes to inlaying, and he uses CA glue. I guess this is why I use CA when I inlay. Both glues will work. If you would like to see Stephen's technique visit his website at http://www.stephenhatcher.com/
I would like to thank you for all of the positive comments and the critiques which I treasure.

Nathan Hawkes
02-26-2008, 7:12 PM
I'll echo what everyone else has said, great form, the choice of fill and wood is excellent, and a great finish to top it off.
If I was to nit-pick it the only thing that I can see is the placement of the inlay. It seems like it may have better balance if it were centered in the rim. But as I said that's nit-picking it.
Great bowl!

I'll bet when using 40 grit sandpaper to sand down the turquoise flush, it probably started off in the middle!!! :D:D I know that I've removed more than I wanted to on more than a couple of rims when using rough grit paper to get rid of a catch mark! (I ended up with a hole about 1/2" from the rim of the bowl where I pushed a little too hard with the sander, actually.)

Tom Sherman
02-27-2008, 6:23 AM
Glenn I like this one a lot. I love the color of the Wild Black Cherry, the Turquoise is a nice contrast to it. I have some Black cherry, Walnut and Yellow Cedar boards and have been thinking of using some of it in a segmented project. Hope it turns out half as nice as your bowl.

steven carter
02-27-2008, 9:31 AM
Great looking bowl Glen. It will be even more striking when the bowl darkens.