PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

Garth Keel
02-25-2008, 4:43 PM
I am making a set of platforms to raise my large stationary tools (TS, BS, Jointer etc) to "adult" height (I'm 5' 19"):D. I assume that the weight limit of each wheel is a portion of the total weight of the machine and not equal to the machines total weight. Ex: 600 lb machine = 4 - 150 lb wheels. I have just never thought about this before and would like some confirmation before buying.

Lee Schierer
02-25-2008, 4:50 PM
I am making a set of platforms to raise my large stationary tools (TS, BS, Jointer etc) to "adult" height (I'm 5' 19"):D. I assume that the weight limit of each wheel is a portion of the total weight of the machine and not equal to the machines total weight. Ex: 600 lb machine = 4 - 150 lb wheels. I have just never thought about this before and would like some confirmation before buying.

You are correct. The rating of each wheel times the number of wheels should be greater than the total weight of the machine. If you put wheels only on one end wheelbarrow style then the two wheels should equal at the total weight of the machine.

Tom Esh
02-25-2008, 7:01 PM
... to "adult" height (I'm 5' 19"):D.

Same here. (My neighbor calls my shop "Land of the Giants".:rolleyes:)
You definitely need more than 1/4 rating on each wheel unless the load is distributed equally and you have a flat floor. I figure any two wheels should be able to take the entire load, whether there are 2,3, or 4. For example on my uneven floor a 4-wheel base actually rides on 2 or 3 for at least part of the trip. If it were something really heavy on one end like a big TS with an extension table I'd have to figure more than half the weight could shift to one wheel at times.

Pat Germain
02-25-2008, 9:59 PM
Garth, you might look for a hardware recycling store in your area. There's such a store near me called "OEM". Since your in California, and California has everything, you should be able to find such a store.

OEM has hundreds of used, heavy duty, industrial wheels and casters. I got a set for my planer cart that would probably hold up a Boeing 737; only cost me a few bucks each. It's kinda fun to over-engineer this way. Also, really big casters will make the machines sit even higher.

Mike Cutler
02-25-2008, 10:09 PM

Well,I feel like a munchkin now at 5' 15".:rolleyes:,;)

I know where you're coming from though Garth. Mine are all up about 3"-4", on HTC heavy duty mobile bases.
McMaster Carr has a nice selection of casters.
Post some pics when you get done. The base on my band saw isn't as stable as I'd like it to be, and I need some new ideas.

Danny Thompson
02-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Another vote for "divide by 2." But make sure you add in the weight of the heaviest load that will be on the machine (e.g., an 12" wide, 8' long, 12/4 maple plank can be heavy) before dividing.

Michael Hammers
02-26-2008, 11:10 AM
I just wanted to throw this out for folks especially trying to match a caster to a unit.
If you go to Grainger's web site home page and look for a small tab at the top which say's resources, click that and it takes youto the next page which has a tab labelled MatchMakers, click that and it brings up an outstanding resource that will take you through a step by step selection process for material handling (casters and wheels) motors, lighting, fasteners (screws and nuts) and ect. very cool....
And the answer is the total capacity of each individual caster is multiplied x 4 to at least exceed the total weight of the machine.
Take care,

Curt Harms
02-26-2008, 11:27 AM

I recently built a mobile base for a Jet J/P documented here a few weeks ago. The machine weighs 530 lbs. more or less. I used 2 fixed wheels and 2 casters each rated at 275 lbs. from Grizzly. They seem to move fine, no shimmy or reluctance to roll. Works fine. I probably could have gotten by with 4 wheels each rated at 150 lbs. but for a few bucks more there is no doubt about capacity.

HTH

Curt