PDA

View Full Version : 15" Planer Advice

Travis Gauger
02-25-2008, 3:55 PM
So, I'm in the market for a 15" planer. The DW733 is great and I have no complaints with it, just looking to take that next step. I was thinking about the Yorkcraft, seems to have reviewed well here and through a few magazine shootouts. I can't get any information on it though. Went to Wilkes machinery website, no info, even have left them 3 seperate messages and haven't heard back from them. I am afraid that if I can't get a hold of these guys before they get my money, what is it going to be like after they get my money. So I need fellow creekers opinions on what they wwould buy if this was their dollar. Here are my limitations;
- Shop space is valuable, prefer a 15" model.
- would like to be in the $1000 - $1500 range with shipping to Wisconsin.
-Must be a "Real" planer, no universal motors please.

So there's the challenge. Let me know your thoughts, and as always, your opinions are highly valued and carry a lot of weight with the wife. For some reason she doesn't think I know anything! Hmm.

Mark Engel
02-25-2008, 4:05 PM
Check out the Grizzly G0453. Just under a grand with shipping.

Travis Gauger
02-25-2008, 4:47 PM
At this time, That is my choice. I am waiting to be convinced otherwise though. thanks.

Ben Cadotte
02-25-2008, 5:17 PM
The spiral cutter is well worth it. I would go with the G0453Z. The price difference for the spiral might just pay for itself in the long run. You get 4 sides on the cutters. And 10 replacements are not that much if you do end up turning one 3 times.

I have been looking hard at it for about a month. I am going to have to wait a little longer as I have a line on a used full length panel saw for a good price. If I get it, it will use up my planer money though. For me I would rather keep using the lunch box and have a panel saw. Little higher priority. D-day for it is Sat. Only possible time I can get it. Just hoping someone else doesn't beat me to it.

John Michaels
02-25-2008, 5:30 PM

I second that. Been very happy with my G0453. For your budget go for the G0453Z. The only complaint I had with mine was snipe in the begining. I bought the rotocator from Griz to adjust the planer and the snipe is very minimal to non-existent now.

Jim Kilburg
02-26-2008, 7:46 PM
I had been looking at 15" planers for about two years before I finally decided on the G0453. I have had it for about six weeks now, and I think it is awesome. I don't think you can get more bang for your buck anywhere. Also I don't think Wilke sells Yorkcraft any more. Maybe someone else has more info on that. HTH Jim

Peter Quinn
02-26-2008, 8:19 PM
Pretty sure Wilke stopped selling machines due to problems with Chinese supplier. I wouldn't wait for them to return your call cause their not going to.

Delta DC-380 (probably has some X-5 number now) is a solid performer in that weight class.

John Keeton
02-26-2008, 8:41 PM
Another happy G0453 owner. Have never used the spiral head, but all reviews seem to be positive. The planer itself is hard to beat for the money. Mine was dead on from the factory - no snipe and smooth running. Noise level was way below the benchtop I had for many years.

Jim Barstow
02-26-2008, 9:09 PM
I know it is a little out of the price range but how does the powermatic 15HH compare? Is the extra cost for the bryd head worth it?

John Thompson
02-26-2008, 11:29 PM
You won't get a call back from Wilke Machinery as Peter suggested, Travis. Wilke dropped the York-craft and Bridge-wood line about 8 months ago and they are no more...

With that said.. for those that have the machines... you can get parts for both lines from C. H. Wilke, Inc. as he has the parts inventory on hand. I spoke with Curt (Wilke) about 2 weeks ago and he says most are on hand. Curt is now a Power-matic.. Steel City.. etc. dealer as he got away from importing directly himself.

Sarge..

Jim Eller
02-27-2008, 7:01 AM
Jim Barstow,

To me, the Byrd head is worth every penny.

I had a new 15HH. I sent it back because it would not meet the cutting spec as advertised(long story, you will find it here and on WoodNet if you search "15HH"). I could not ask for more customer service than Powermatic gave me. They tried every thing and finally sent a carrier over to pick it up and gave me a complete refund. They had more money in that machine than I paid for it before it was shipped back.

I then purchased the 209HH and it is every thing it is suppose to be.

Jim

Jack Briggs
02-27-2008, 7:57 AM

One of the next items on my list.

William OConnell
02-27-2008, 9:45 AM
I unloaded a 16" powermatic yesterday it took 4 guys 30 inutes just to get it off my trailer.
Ironically it was in a really small basement shop with a 15" grizzly right next to it. The differences were immediately noticeable. First off this thing outweighed the Grizzly by 400 pounds easily. I think it weighs around 900 pounds. The cutterheed alone was 3 times bigger around and that much heavier. The thickness of the cast iron table made me smile .Man I love old battleship equiptment. I think its early 1940s and it hums like an angel. Im broke but happy( it cost me 800)

The mouth is like a huge Langolier from a steven King novel
http://woodworkers.us/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=599&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=b579ed516c2e62224f4e4b01553c310a

The cutterhead extra heavy and newly machined
http://woodworkers.us/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=597&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=b579ed516c2e62224f4e4b01553c310a

In 1940s America stamped steel frame apparently meant 1/4" and 3/8" steel hole moly what a beast
http://woodworkers.us/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=594&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=b579ed516c2e62224f4e4b01553c310a

Travis Gauger
02-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice and comments. An awful lot of Grizzly fans out there. Has anyone played with the Steelcity unit yet? I just got their deluxe jointer and , wow. Completely impressed all around with the experience. I can't justify the Powermatic name. I don't need to go HF cheap on everything, but for my uses, i can not justify the cost of that gold paint. I know that this will surely stir up a lot of emotions, and I agree that Powermatic is the ultimate machine, just a lot of dough too. I have been watching for something used too, but they just aren't out there. Or they are 1300 miles away from me.

Joe Vee
02-28-2008, 12:12 PM
William,

That planer is a beast. Back then American made equipment was the best you could buy. Now it's hard to find 'American Made" anything.

Joe

Nancy Laird
02-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice and comments. An awful lot of Grizzly fans out there. Has anyone played with the Steelcity unit yet? I just got their deluxe jointer and , wow. Completely impressed all around with the experience. I can't justify the Powermatic name. I don't need to go HF cheap on everything, but for my uses, i can not justify the cost of that gold paint. I know that this will surely stir up a lot of emotions, and I agree that Powermatic is the ultimate machine, just a lot of dough too. I have been watching for something used too, but they just aren't out there. Or they are 1300 miles away from me.

Travis, LOML and I bought the 15" Steel City a little over a year ago, and we couldn't be happier with it. It's so quiet that we can carry on a conversation with it running. We have retrofitted it with a Shelix head and it got even quieter. The SC is about $1350.00, plus motor freight shipping ($146.00 at WWS), so that brings it in just under your budget top limit. There is also a $100 rebate through March 31, which will bring the cost down some. It's a honey. Worth taking a look at. If you want more info on it, just PM me and I'll have LOML respond.

Nancy

Travis Gauger
03-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Well I pulled the trigger on Friday and purchased a ShopFox 1742 15" planer. It is one of their haevier units and had some real nice features. I was intending on Purchasing the Steel City 15" one but no one in my area had any in stock and the soonest I could get one delivered wa 3-6 weeks. What? So I started loooking around at what was in stock and ended up narowing it down to the SF or a PM. The PM was nice, but at twice the price and with less features than the SF, it was a no-brainer. The SF 1742 is a real nice machine, it was packaged well, instructions are great, all necessary tools for assembly came with the machine, etc. No complaints. I am still getting a little snipe on the infeed side, but am sure that it is just one of my settings while dialing everything in during set up. I have ran about 80 bd ft through so far with excellent results. After a week or two of use I plan to follow up with an overall impression of the machine. Thanks.