PDA

View Full Version : "My" Terry Hatfield blast gates

Fred Voorhees
03-13-2004, 8:32 AM
Well, the pics are back and here are the blast gates that I fabbed up according to Terry Hatfields plans. I must say, these gates are absolutely simple to make and can be constructed at below the cost of what you would pay for those that you can purchase. AND, it is obvious that they are lightyears ahead of the commercial gates in leakage. It was a blast making them.

Picture 1 – The four five inch blast gates that were necessary for my system set-up. I had no problem finding the required starter pieces with flanges at my local HVAC dealer.

Picture 2 – However, the four inch starter pieces did not have flanges. These were used in connecting flex ductwork to fiberglass duct board. This meant that I needed to fab up flanges. No problem doing that with Ό” luan ply.

Picture 3 – Here I am putting the finishing touches on one of the 4” gates.

Picture 4 – My machinery is pretty much around the perimeter of my shop. Therefore my blast gates would mount to the walls – this way, they could also act as hanger supports. Hence the configuration with the gussets.

Picture 5 – Because a few of the gates would be mounted above the knee wall on the angled wall leading up to the ceiling, they would angle downward. For these particular gates, I added tee-nuts and wing nuts to secure the moveable gate from sliding out of its housing. Walnut plugs covering the screws holding the gussets still needed to be cut off and sanded flush.

Fred Voorhees
03-13-2004, 8:34 AM
Don't know why the pics didn't post in the correct order on that original post, but here are the rest of the pics and we'll see if they post correctly.

Picture 6 – Here is my new radial arm saw set-up with the gate and the new dust hood that I fabbed up.

Picture 7 – And a close up of the same gate.

Picture 8 – Here is my table saw gate hookup. No flex at all was used as you can see. I needed to fab up a plenum for the flanged connector. Quarter inch luan was used for that, as well as to close in the sides of the saw. I added a small access panel on the side for the occasional dropped arbor nut.

Picture 9 – One of the “end of the run” gates is the 4” gate serving the drill press and the bandsaw. I brought the duct out to the front of my bench before attaching flex.

Tyler Howell
03-13-2004, 8:54 AM
Fred!
Out Standing. We never get tired of Shop Pix.

Terry Hatfield
03-13-2004, 9:04 AM
Fred,

LOL....I am glad that the gates worked out for you. I especially like the RAS gate on the ceiling. Very ingenious!!!

t

Ted Shrader
03-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Terry and Fred (or Fred and Terry) -

Fred, thanks for the pictures. Terry, great design. Thank you both for the info.

Ted

Kelly C. Hanna
03-13-2004, 6:09 PM
Excellent work!! I love the blast gates.

Fred Voorhees
03-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks to everyone for the great comments. I was just amazed at the ease of building them and the way they work. Top notch! :D

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Fred
Thanks for the detailed photos and explanation.
Those gates should be a blast to operate.
Daniel :rolleyes: