PDA

View Full Version : Some Pens!

robert hainstock
02-25-2008, 3:01 PM
Here are some recent pens. They are in the first picture, on top a tulip wood perfume pen. And below, a Lilac perfume pen. Does any bidy use those any more? Rhwe second picture is of a black palm,( who says you can't turn the stuff?). The third pidture is a lignum vitae pen

82542ae.
The perfume pens are finished, one in rubbon poly, three days total for the process. The other is CA finished in about twenty mins; needless to say I'm a beliver. My eye cannot tell which is which.
the Black palm pen, Ca finish; was turned at first with my homemade roughing gauge till the huge tearout. I was lucky and found the piece and was able to epox it back to be invisible. From there I broke out the sixty grit roughing gauge to finer grits till finished.
The Lignum pen blank came in one of those bargin packs from PSI. the original color of this stuff is greenish, caused by a waxy substance that permeates the wood. I soaked the blanks for several days imersed in acetone. And though it does'nt show in the pix, still comes through and can be seen with the naked eye. I highly reccomend against wasting any money on the stuff. I applied the rubbon poly and buff fininsh.
Comments! :) Bob
PS I now have a pint of purple acetone from the wax.:eek:

Ben Gastfriend
02-25-2008, 3:30 PM
#1- My grandmother uses a perfume pen, and you just gave me a gift idea. They look really good!

#2- The pens look really good too. I really like the palm, even though it's a bit much for a bowl or larger turning, it works well with a pen.

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2008, 3:38 PM
Robert those are some mighty fine turnings. My grandmother used to use those perfume pens up till she passed away.

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2008, 4:42 PM
Very nice work Bob - as always! Really like the colors of the perfume pens - real attention getting! The Palm sure has some interesting texture to it!

Tom Sherman
02-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Nice looking stuff Bob.