PDA

View Full Version : Ellsworth 1/2" Bowl Gouge

Fred Conte
02-25-2008, 2:55 PM
Just to let you folks know...

I just ordered the 1/2" Ellsworth Bowl Gouge from Rockler. It's on sale for $69.99 with free shipping for the month of February. They are backordered until 3/4/08 and you have to call Rockler because the website doesn't show the sale price.

From what I've read it seems a little difficult to master, I'm a newbie so if any of you experienced turners could give me some hints to get me started I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Fred

jack richington
02-25-2008, 3:02 PM
I have used the ellsworth bowl gouge for years..I find it easier to use than a standard grind bowl gouge...I also like fingernail grind gouges..I believe they are a little more forgiving of goof-off turners, like myself:rolleyes:

George Morris
02-25-2008, 7:57 PM
Get David Elsworth vidio on how to use the bowl gouge , well worth the price! Great tool!! George

Jim Becker
02-25-2008, 8:02 PM
Yes, the video is very useful...and you also will need the sharpening jig for best results.

Richard Madison
02-25-2008, 9:24 PM
Ordered one also. Plan to adjust home made sharpening jig very carefully (and maybe take notes) prior to first pass at the grinding wheel, to avoid screwing up the grind the first time.

What do they mean by "needs honing" before use? Is that just a couple passes with the fine diamond stick or what?

Fred Conte
02-25-2008, 9:48 PM
Thanks guys - I found a nice write-up for a sharpening jig at WoodCraft, I'm hoping with a little modifying I could adapt my Wolverine vari-jig to sharpen the gouge. Smartflix has the Ellsworth's video on sharpening.

Thanks again!

Fred