PDA

View Full Version : Phenolic? Where and how?

Greg Muller
02-25-2008, 2:36 PM
I need a regular phenolic source. I keep finding more and more uses but just can't find a regular place to get it inexpensively. :confused:

Any sources?

Also, while I have cut it many ways, I haven't tried it in a jointer or planer. It seems to me that may gum up the blades in high RPM machines. Right or wrong?

Greg

Tanner Sammons
02-25-2008, 2:40 PM
Check Ebay. If you can't find the size you are looking for, send an email to one of the suppliers w/ a store and they can usually get something for you.

As far as using machines, I had luck using my jointer to mill down a taper on a vinyl door jam. It didn't do anything to the machine or blades, other than make one huge white mess!

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-25-2008, 2:43 PM
google
phenolic sheet stock
There are plenty of suppliers

David DeCristoforo
02-25-2008, 2:55 PM
Local plastics suppliers should be able to help you. While you may be able to cut this stuff with woodworking blades and even get away with edge jointing it. PLEASE do not attempt to feed it through a planer...that's just asking for it! And, yes it will gum up everything and, as Tanner says, make "one huge mess". It is actually easier to finish edges and surfaces "by hand" with abrasives because you don't generate the heat which softens plastic and/or resin and causes the afore mentioned gumming up of everything.

YM

Travis Gauger
02-25-2008, 3:05 PM
I've edge jointed it before. Never tried the planer. Maybe with a spiral cutterhead. Midland plastics is my supplier.

Travis Gauger
02-25-2008, 3:06 PM
Midland plastics is where I get mine from. I've edge jointed it before, never tried the planer.

Scott Loven
02-25-2008, 3:08 PM
What kind/size are you looking for? Phenolic sheet is made anywhere from .010 to 14" thick with paper or cloth substrates.

Colin Giersberg
02-25-2008, 8:06 PM
I have used a router to smooth the edge of phenolic plastic, and it didn't gum up at all. I used a single speed router mounted in my router table by the way. It did produce more dust than I liked, but then I don't work with phenolic that often.

Regards, Colin

Jim Becker
02-25-2008, 8:08 PM
McMaster Carr has it, I believe, as well as some variations on the theme.

Peter Quinn
02-25-2008, 8:25 PM
I've had good luck milling it for jigs using router/spiral carbide. Keep the feed rate moving and the passes light, it doesn't gum up. Might be easier to edge joint with a spiral carbide/router/straight edge no?

Jeffrey Makiel
02-25-2008, 8:37 PM
This phenolic stuff is quite special. The engineers at work buy it from McMaster Carr. Versions of it (G-10 and G-11) have superb compressive strength, a friction coefficient greater than steel, it's nonconductive and has grades that are approved for cryogenic applications.

I believe US Plastics (.com) also carries small sheets of it. However, shipping of sheet material is always a cost breaker.

-Jeff :)

Jack Briggs
02-26-2008, 8:53 AM
Inexpensive phenolic has eluded all of us. McMaster-Carr Supply has many grades in stock. I buy the XX grade paper based for jig making. About $62 for a 1/2"x24"x24" sheet.

Mark Engel
02-26-2008, 9:20 AM
If you are looking for phenolic plywood, check White Cap Construction supply. They have lots of locations including one in Kansas City, MO. Mr. Briggs, they also have several locations in NC.

http://www.whitecapdirect.com/store/plywood.jsp

Excellent pricing. 3/4" 4' x 8' sheet, 11 ply for only $51.77

They sell it for use in concrete forms.

Scott Loven
02-26-2008, 9:35 AM
This phenolic stuff is quite special. The engineers at work buy it from McMaster Carr. Versions of it (G-10 and G-11) have superb compressive strength, a friction coefficient greater than steel, it's nonconductive and has grades that are approved for cryogenic applications.

I believe US Plastics (.com) also carries small sheets of it. However, shipping of sheet material is always a cost breaker.

-Jeff :)
Not to be picky, but G10 and G11 are NEMA glass epoxy grades and do not contain any phenolic resin.
Scott

Greg Cole
02-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Hey Greg,
Regal Plastic is on Burlington Ave (471-6390) north of the river, not sure if they deal with the general public, but thats whom I deal with at the day job for all things phenolic, UHMW, lexan etc....
UHMW & phenolic both machine just fine on ww'ing machinery.

Cheers.

Joe Chritz
02-26-2008, 3:55 PM
I have an "informant" in a commercial kitchen design and manufacturing facility here locally. I can usually get scrap of avonite (like corian) or some other stuff they make cutting boards out of pretty regular.

Any industrial supply should have all kinds of plastic materials available. Some is reasonable some isn't.

Joe

Eddie Darby
02-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Lee Valley sell some.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=32045&cat=3,43576,43581

Todd Hyman
02-26-2008, 10:29 PM
If you are looking for phenolic plywood, check White Cap Construction supply. They have lots of locations including one in Kansas City, MO. Mr. Briggs, they also have several locations in NC.

http://www.whitecapdirect.com/store/plywood.jsp

Excellent pricing. 3/4" 4' x 8' sheet, 11 ply for only $51.77

They sell it for use in concrete forms.

Mark,

What have you used this for and what has been your experince with this?

Thanks,
Todd

Russ Filtz
02-27-2008, 7:28 AM
Check out USPlastics.com. They have tons of plastic stuff including phenolic sheet, rod, and tubes in several grades. Great for UHMW too, and small bottles for mixing finish, etc.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&Category_Name=62&Page=1&clickid=topnav

Bob Aquino
02-27-2008, 8:15 AM
Lee Valley sell some.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=32045&cat=3,43576,43581

No they dont, it says in the fine print:

Phenolic sheet is valued for many of the same qualities as UHMW (except lubricity) and its greater rigidity makes excellent table tops, templates, and structural elements of jigs. It machines much like wood as well. It is 1/4" thick and 16" x 24" less saw kerf of approx. 1/8". Made in USA.

The 1/4" Phenolic is no longer available.