PDA

View Full Version : Tension Release

Roger Bull
02-25-2008, 2:11 PM
I finally started my bubinga bedroom suite project and spent the weekend choosing which cuts to make on which boards. This wood had been here for a long time and was quite dry (no meter used).

After I finished getting the most efficient use I could out of each board I started cutting. The last cuts were rips for the spindles on the bed etc. Some of you probably know where this is going already... :rolleyes:

Since these were 4/4 boards I decided to cut the spindles 1 and 1/8" to give me a finished dimension of ~3/4 x 4/4 via the drum sander. As I was ripping the spindles (from boards crosscut to several times the rough spindle length) I was impressed by how fast the wood curled. The thought that came to mind was 'like metal shavings on a lathe' (my mouth was saying something else). One pass would have the spindle peeling off to the right. The next pass would be trying to go to the left. Thank goodness for the riving knife on my SawStop because those pieces were trying hard to grab the blade even though I was pushing them through at a good clip.

Knowing this can happen, I spent a lot of time deciding which boards to use. I chose the straightest grained boards I had. Some ripped perfectly and others curled impressively (6" - 8" in 5'). There was no obvious way to tell which way each board would perform.

I hate to waste wood. I thought about wetting one side (or soaking the whole piece) and then stickering and stacking with weight to dry. Since that is not always a permanent fix it could be a big problem after assembly. I ended up ripping more than I planned to get enough straight pieces. I have lots of time to fix the crooked ones and use them later.

Any better suggestions on how to straighten and stabilize narrow pieces such as these?

Thanks,
-Roger

And before it is suggested - no, I do not need to build a rocking chair. :cool:

David DeCristoforo
02-25-2008, 2:21 PM
"Some ripped perfectly and others curled impressively..."

Ahh yes. Such is the nature of wood. Esp. figured woods. And most esp. unpredictable woods like bubinga that have a lot of internal stresses. You did everything right (outside of possibly allowing the wood to "acclimate" long enough). Wood has a mind of it's own...

YM

Chris Padilla
02-25-2008, 3:57 PM
Wood: a fickle medium. Learn to celebrate its own artistry!

Rethink that rocking chair or some other form.

Or, cross-cut, glue, joint...veneers?

Best of Luck and I'm happy to hear of the riving knife saving you from serious injury!

Roger Bull
02-25-2008, 6:31 PM
Yep, I expected some pieces to adjust to their new found freedom. I just hate to waste good wood if it can be saved.

-Roger

Peter Quinn
02-25-2008, 7:58 PM
Wow..I am laughing out loud...with you not at you. Welcome to the wonderful world of Bubinga!

I worked in a custom flooring mill for some time, and probably processed 70-80,000BF of bubinga while I was there. I have never seen anything go wild like that before.

On the worst job I saw we recieved a tractor trailer load that was so stressed it was unbelievable. Several packs of lumber came in wide (25"-35" wide), 17,5' long, 5/4. All KD 9% moisture. Some boards were hit and miss planed, others rough. All had to be planed to 15/16", then ripped 4 3/8" in preperation for molding in a 7 head Wadkin. After straight line ripping several thousand BF (rip one edge, restraighten, rerip, etc), someone got the smart idea to speed things up by gang ripping, where 5 strips at 4 3/8 are produced at once (very big saw!)

The first board through the machine (20HP 3PHS) struggled, made the most amazing noise, and the five strips came out of the other end of the machine cork screwing off the outfeed table like a bunch of lasagna noodles. The sawyer persisted and eventually created the most twisted pack of junk I have ever seen. Every board had to be rammed through the power fed molder (35HP, 3phs) like police breaking down a door, with a big 5"X5"x36" shop made battering ram!
The flooring was shipped immediately to the install site so it could 'acclimate' for two weeks. The installer called the first day to complain...it took 4 guys with prybars and deadblows to get each piece to lie flat, and when they got back from lunch half the floor had curled and pulled free of the nails! 35% of the boards had to be replaced before it was over.

Other packs remained absolutely straight and flat...you could never tell what was going to happen. I saw perfect verticle grain, beeswings mottle, flatsawn, riff sawn, all of it was prone to boughts of wood insanity. Don't feel bad. Enjoy the process!

Roger Bull
02-26-2008, 5:22 PM
Other packs remained absolutely straight and flat...you could never tell what was going to happen. I saw perfect verticle grain, beeswings mottle, flatsawn, riff sawn, all of it was prone to boughts of wood insanity. Don't feel bad. Enjoy the process!

YES! That is exactly it - wood insanity. :p I have never seen anything so wild.

I always spend time picking out the best boards for each part of my projects. In this case I am thinking some of those boards were laughing at me the whole time.

Thanks for the story - I have a VERY clear picture of what it looked like. :D

Now to straighten and stabilize...

-Roger