PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Geeks, Nerds and Engineers

Jason Roehl
02-25-2008, 1:34 PM
I just thought I'd share this cool site I found. It's amazing what can distract you when you sit down to work on your taxes. My HP 42S RPN Scientific calculator needed batteries, so I couldn't start right away, but while my wife was running errands (including getting batteries), I was sitting at the computer with the 42S sitting next to me... It turns out there are some real aficionados (to put it politely) of these old HP calculators. I'm not that way personally. If you want mine, you can come get it...from my cold, dead fingers...

I was just disappointed that I couldn't find an emulator I could upload to my Nokia N80 phone (Series 60, runs Java, in case anyone is bored). I suppose I could look into compiling the C source code into Java, but dang, it's been a long time since I've done anything remotely like that, and I'm sure there would have to be some modifications for usability with the phone's keypad.

http://hpmuseum.org/

Rod Sheridan
02-25-2008, 3:03 PM
Jason, you old RPN addict!

I laughed, I have my 11C on the desk in front of me.

My old brain simply cannot be retrained to use algebraic calculators.......Thanks for the web link......Rod.

Jason Roehl
02-25-2008, 3:07 PM
Once you go RPN, you don't go back. I HATE algebraic calculators. I'll have to ask her, but I think my oldest sister has/had an 11C from her days as a ChemE student (I'm basing that guess on the pictures, she taught me RPN long before I had my own, I didn't see the point until I took a physics class).

Chris Padilla
02-25-2008, 3:07 PM
Slightly OT, but If anything happens to your trusty calc: www.fixthatcalc.com (http://www.fixthatcalc.com) is a great place...he fixed up my HP48SX good as new.

Jim Mims
02-25-2008, 3:19 PM
I just thought I'd share this cool site I found. It's amazing what can distract you when you sit down to work on your taxes. My HP 42S RPN Scientific calculator needed batteries, so I couldn't start right away, but while my wife was running errands (including getting batteries), I was sitting at the computer with the 42S sitting next to me... It turns out there are some real aficionados (to put it politely) of these old HP calculators. I'm not that way personally. If you want mine, you can come get it...from my cold, dead fingers...

I was just disappointed that I couldn't find an emulator I could upload to my Nokia N80 phone (Series 60, runs Java, in case anyone is bored). I suppose I could look into compiling the C source code into Java, but dang, it's been a long time since I've done anything remotely like that, and I'm sure there would have to be some modifications for usability with the phone's keypad.
http://hpmuseum.org/

Isn't that a great site? I've been using the emulators from http://www.hpcalc.org/ at work and home on XP and W2K for years. I also use it on both my Palms and Had it on my Dell Handheld that I gave my mum.
I use the 48GX emulator and I put the 48SX emulator on the surveyor and my friend's computer.
- Jim

Brian J. Williams
02-25-2008, 6:57 PM
My 97 is long since gone- the cards got brittle, and the reader motor finally croaked. Interestingly enough, I believe the guts of that box was the basis for the Apollo moon landers- HP even had a game called Moon Lander that you could run on the 97.

I miss my 42 CV. It was a great box, got me through grad school, but the buttons finally stopped working.

My 42S is still chugging along, and it has provided one interesting story. At one point, I used to keep the spare batteries for the 42 in the same drawer as my film badge. One quarter I got an alarming letter from the powers that be that I'd had some series deep-body dosage. Only thing was, I hadn't been out of the office that quarter. I immediately looked in the drawer- there was my film badge next to the little batteries for the 42. Didn't do that again.

Ted Calver
02-25-2008, 8:33 PM
When I go, I'm taking my 11c with me!!!

Doug Shepard
02-25-2008, 9:28 PM
My 48GX is still chugging along but doesn't get much of a workout like it used to. Sort of like my math skills...:D

Jim Mims
02-26-2008, 11:05 AM
My 48GX is still chugging along but doesn't get much of a workout like it used to. Sort of like my math skills...:D
I had two. Yea, you don't have to tell me. <g>
Anyway, my daughter dropped one and busted the screen. It wasn't until then I found out how much they had become collectors items and it would be too expensive to fix it. Anyhow, with the emulators, I hardly take my remaining one out of the drawer anymore.
- Jim