PDA

View Full Version : Used Compressor...Bad Idea?

John Newell
02-25-2008, 12:06 PM
I am thinking about buying a compressor for my modest needs. There are some locally on craigslist, but I am guessing that buying a used compressor could be a real cr-pshoot...too much to go wrong (ran w/o oil, ran on too-high duty cycle, etc.)? That's my preliminary conclusion - but would be interested in your agreement (or disagreement).

Mike Cutler
02-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Actually, if you look carefully, you'll find that a lof of them for sale may be a case of too few CFM, and the person has gotten a higher capacity unit.

I think you could find a good deal, but you will have to know what some various models sell for new, if they are still available as new, and if parts support is still available.

jason lambert
02-25-2008, 1:00 PM
Kind of a crap shoot. I would buy new, unlesst he person has a good storie behind it and why he is upgrading. You may find a homeowner that has one I would be sceptial about buying one form a contractor.

keith ouellette
02-25-2008, 1:03 PM
I bought a used compressor for the high cfm out put and it has been just fine. It was about twelve years old (I forget the name brand) but I didn't think it had been used much.

I wouldn't shy away from one but I would inspect it in person before I bought.

Rod Sheridan
02-25-2008, 1:10 PM
Hi John, the item that would be difficult to inspect would be corrosion of the tank caused by condensation.

If the compressor is relatively new, you should be OK.

I don't know that I would purchase one that's near end of tank life though........Rod.

alex grams
02-25-2008, 1:13 PM
On the drain line, see if they can run it and you can get some water from it and collect it in a cup or something. Any discoloration or oily residue would give you a good indication of the interior of the tank. Red lending itself to rust and such, brown and oily would be more prone to maybe the motor leaking oil in the tank.

I would consider from a homeowner, but not from a contractor, all dependent upon inspection.