PDA

View Full Version : Which Navigation GPS???

Clint Jones
02-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Im in the market for a GPS Navigation system. I have looked at Garmin, Magellan, and Mio . I understand they operate from different maps (Tele Atlas etc.) I have been traveling to the Gulfport and Biloxi area for work and have learned the area well. They now have me up in TN in the Nashville area and maybe DFW. I dont know either area at all and would like to purchase navigation. My budget is $200-$300. What do you guys use or suggest???

Steven Wilson
02-25-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm not a fan of the smaller units like TomTom, Garmin, etc unless you plan on using one for hunting, fishing, and need to download large scale maps. I use a Lowrance H20 for fly fishing and hunting because I can trade chips with the larger Lowrance I have in the boat. For the truck I'm currently using the factory GM system (not too bad) and have used Pioneer (my old Suburban) and Kenwood (friends truck) systems which are also pretty good. The permanant install systems tend to have a much large database on board which help with routing and covering large areas. The DVD systems are great.

Lee Schierer
02-25-2008, 12:42 PM
We purchased a Garmin Nuvi 660 at Thanksgiving for $400 at a black friday sale. It is great for road directions. If you rent a car from Avis or Budget you can also rent a Garmin Street pilot with the car.

On a recent trip to Hawaii we used the Garmin everyday for the 12 days we were there on the roads and only twice did it lead us astray and that was looking for a place to eat and a shopping location from their data base. Otherwise the road directions from point "A" to point "B"were perfect and easy to understand. The Garmin even tracked through several tunnels without complaining about lost signal.

For Your budget look at a Street Pilot c330 or NUVI 350 unless you can find the higher end models on sale.

Scott Shepherd
02-25-2008, 1:02 PM
I recently got a Garmin Nuvi 350. I had a previous thread about the TomTom I bought first.

The lessons I learned from that experience are that there are at least two levels out there. The first level are the $199-299 one's (and some a little more expensive), where they have a limited amount of points of interest. I believe a common number was in the 600,000 points of interest range.

Next level up jumps to about 6,000,000 points of interest. You'll have a very hard time finding any of that out by reading the box or speaking to sales rep who can't even pronounce the names properly.

The Nuvi 350 is at the low end of that second tier, so it's got all the points of interest. I like it, and specifically, I like the "text to speech" function. Instead of telling me to "turn right", it tells me "turn right to Main Street" which is really handy when roads and exits get close together and you don't want to take your eyes off the road.

Be VERY careful because many of the units on sale are the high end of the lower tier units, so they have nice features, but limited points of interest (gas stations, food, etc.). Also, there are many, many models being pushed in all the chains that are old models, many which aren't even being produced any longer.

I think the Nuvi 350 was $299 on Amazon. They were pushing the Nuvi 250 (lower model) at all the chains for $299 as well. Less features, functions, etc, but same price.

It's a really tricky business and they are very good and fooling you into buying a discontinued model and thinking you just got a deal.

Bryan Rocker
02-25-2008, 3:50 PM
I bought a Garman Nuvi 200 back in September of last year as I traveled to Baltimore. I have used it multiple times since. It has only taken me to a wrong destination once! It has 6M Points of Interest. I believe I spent $199 for it. It has been well worth the expense. The only upgrade I would probably use is the device telling you the name of the street to turn on instead of turning left, or right ect. I do love the small size. It is small enough it fits right in my pocket unlike some of the larger units.

I would steer clear of the Tom Toms. My daughter has one and I can't tell you how many times they have gotten wrong/unusable directions.

David G Baker
02-25-2008, 4:49 PM
Scott,
Amazon's price on the Nuvi 350 has been as low as around $250. If you are interested in buying the Nuvi 350 keep checking Amazon and you might find it at the lower price.

Clint Jones
02-25-2008, 4:58 PM
Well its either the Nuvi 350 or 660. I have found the 350 for $229 and the 660 for $339 from an online retailer both with a 1 year warranty. I just need simple directions what are the advantages of the 660 over the 350 is it really worth $110 more? I will do some more reading up on them and see what you guys have to say. Thanks for all the info it is appreciated.

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-25-2008, 5:08 PM
I just bought a Tom Tom XL S for a recent trip to FL. On a couple of occasions, instead of telling me to turn left at end of off ramp, it told me to take a right then an immediate u-turn! I almost got creamed by a car I cut off. This happened 2 other times. Very dangerous.
Other than those faux-pas, GPS proved quite handy! I'm going to return mine and look into a Garmin for my next trip.

Gary Keedwell
02-25-2008, 5:19 PM
Well its either the Nuvi 350 or 660. I have found the 350 for $229 and the 660 for $339 from an online retailer both with a 1 year warranty. I just need simple directions what are the advantages of the 660 over the 350 is it really worth $110 more? I will do some more reading up on them and see what you guys have to say. Thanks for all the info it is appreciated.
Clint...I have the Mother of recommendations: My wife's job has her navigating to different jobs in and around Boston. Need I say anymore??? Garmin Nuvi 350
She loves it and it never does her wrong.
Gary

Jim Becker
02-25-2008, 7:48 PM
Garmen Nuvi would be my choice for a portable...

Rich Konopka
02-25-2008, 8:51 PM
Garmin Nuvi Wins hands down. It is pretty darn accurate. It works great in the North End of Boston, Newark airport finding the Marriott, did not recognize a fastlane/easypass only on ramp on the PA TPKE in FT Washington PA.

Brad Schmid
02-25-2008, 10:36 PM

I have a Nuvi 660 and like it alot. Compared to the 350, it has a bigger screen, FM transmitter, Bluetooth (which is really nice), and comes with the FM traffic reciever and 3 months free subscription (if you need/want that feature). To buy the traffic reciever to add to a 350 is I think around $200 by itself...

Mark Roderick
02-26-2008, 4:59 PM
I have the Garmin Nuvi 360 and love it. The thing is absolutely amazing. We visited my sister in a little town out in the boondocks of California last year and didn't even bother to ask for directions. Got to L.A. around 9 p.m., rented a car, and away we went. Navigated all those horrible freeways with no trouble at all, out into the desert, arrived safe and sound.

My only gripe is that the Garmin doesn't "see" traffic lights. That is, if you have two roads, one a 55 mph limited-access freeway and the other a 55 mph busy city road lined with shopping centers and traffic lights, it doesn't distinguish between them. It seems weird to me because you can see the difference on any printed road map, but there you are.

Once you use one of these things you'll never want to travel without one.

Leigh Costello
02-29-2008, 12:53 AM
I suppose the days of "turn left at the half-dead oak, go about 3 or 4 driveways and you'll see it on the next ridge" are disappearing......

Jerry Ragan
03-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Garmin Nuvi Wins -- Best sevice ever!!!

Curt Fuller
03-02-2008, 2:15 AM
I suppose the days of "turn left at the half-dead oak, go about 3 or 4 driveways and you'll see it on the next ridge" are disappearing......

That's kind of what I was thinking. I pull over, have a sandwich and look at my old crinkled up Rand McNalley. Some of the neatest places I've ever been are places I found when I was lost.

I rented a car in Hawaii from Hertz. It had some kind of nagigater in it that drove me nuts until I could figure out how to turn it off.

Steve Leverich
03-02-2008, 3:13 AM
Maybe the next generation of "agitators" will have an option called "take me somewhere new and different that I've never been" - or, you could just turn it off and follow your nose. I too have found more interesting places when lost... Steve

Leigh Costello
03-02-2008, 12:38 PM
I must laugh - last night our local high school boys basketball team was playing in the state quarterfinals (they lost 60-31) and the mapquest map had us all turned around. Finally threw the mapquest on the floor and drove toward the huge building with a bunch of school buses parked near it. Ah, adventure...it is so underrated.:D

Gary Keedwell
03-02-2008, 1:15 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking. I pull over, have a sandwich and look at my old crinkled up Rand McNalley. Some of the neatest places I've ever been are places I found when I was lost.

I rented a car in Hawaii from Hertz. It had some kind of nagigater in it that drove me nuts until I could figure out how to turn it off.
Yes...I have many fond memories of touring the white mountains while on vacation and picking the "scenic" road instead of the direct route. While that is great fun......Being hopelessly lost in a big city while the sun starts to fade...is no picnic...indeed.:(
Gary

Scott Velie
03-02-2008, 1:37 PM
There is another approach. It is cheaper. If you travel with a laptop you can just install some software (like DeLorme) and a GPS unit for navigation.
I used that setup for several years some time ago. Having a big screen is nice.

Jon Crowley
03-04-2008, 11:31 AM
I have a Garmin street pilot and I'm very happy with it. For the record though, I've never used the points of interest features... seems like the cheaper GPS's like this one are lacking in that area from what other posters are saying.

100% of the time I enter a street address. I'm awful when it comes to directions; a real discrace to the male gender, so this thing is a life saver. :D

James A. Wolfe
03-12-2008, 11:32 PM
I have had a Garmin c330 since they were introduced a couple of years ago. I used to be a field service tech and as such, traveled all over the US. I would not have been able to function without my little helper. I've been married for 30 years so when a woman's voice tells me to turn left, I turn left and ask no questions. After the last time Carmine fell off the windshield, she gave up the ghost. I contacted Garmin for repairs and they have a flat rate of $150 regardless of the injury. I found a Magellan unit for $169 at Office Depot and we have become fast friends. As far as POI are concerned, they are great for the chains but they become outdated pretty quickly.

Jim

James A. Wolfe
03-13-2008, 4:26 PM
I used to travel in my job and one of the things I enjoyed when in a totally new city was exploring. I love finding some little dive or local watering hole for a dinner that doesn't come with a happy meal. The best thing about my GPS is that I would set my hotel as "Home" and after driving all over, I could always find my way back.

Jim

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-13-2008, 5:25 PM
There are two competing GPS services to which all the GPS end user providers subscribe.

One is better than the other and costs more too.

I believe OnStar uses the cheaper version.

So does Google and mapquest none of them can find my home.

Bill Lantry
03-13-2008, 6:20 PM
Clint,

Forget the anecdotal evidence. Consumer reports reviews these. Look there for answers. ;)

I had a tomtom. Someone broke my car window and stole it. Got a new one: $128 plus shipping on ebay. In the box, with factory warranty. Cool new stuff: if the map's wrong, you can tell them, and next time you connect to your computer, everybody's map gets corrected. Also, you can do your own voice file, so if your girlfriend's in a good mood, you can get her to record it for you. Just make sure you don't loan the wrong tomtom to your spouse! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Russ Cass
03-13-2008, 6:53 PM
The Garmin Nuvi series is the way to go.

Costco has the Nuvi 650 model for $299.00

HSN.com had the 750 for the same price, but that sale is gone :(

Russ Cass
03-13-2008, 6:58 PM
There are two competing GPS services to which all the GPS end user providers subscribe.

One is better than the other and costs more too.

I believe OnStar uses the cheaper version.

So does Google and mapquest none of them can find my home.:confused: Cliff, Are you thinking of satellite radio, because there is no subscription to the satellite GPS system.

The mapping software that GoogleMaps, Mapquest, etc. uses may not
have every street or address in existance programmed into it.
I just bought a new Garmin Nuvi 750 and even with a map update a new
stretch of highway near my house doesn't show up on the screen.

Jim Becker
03-13-2008, 7:22 PM
James, take a copy of the "Hidden" travel books with you for wherever you are and then use the GPS to find the recommendations...you will find some unbelievable good places to see and eat.

Scott Shepherd
03-15-2008, 12:06 PM
:confused: Cliff, Are you thinking of satellite radio, because there is no subscription to the satellite GPS system.

The mapping software that GoogleMaps, Mapquest, etc. uses may not
have every street or address in existance programmed into it.
I just bought a new Garmin Nuvi 750 and even with a map update a new
stretch of highway near my house doesn't show up on the screen.

I believe he's speaking of the mapping company used. There are 2 big ones, NAVTEQ and Tele Atlas. Garmin and Magellan use NAVTEQ, Tom Tom uses Tele Atlas. There are loads of articles online about the two. Take some time in reading some of them and you'll be much better educated when you do decide to purchase.

Peter Stahl
03-16-2008, 8:33 AM
James, take a copy of the "Hidden" travel books with you for wherever you are and then use the GPS to find the recommendations...you will find some unbelievable good places to see and eat.

Jim, is this something that is specific to the Megellan GPS?

thanks, Pete

Peter Stahl
03-16-2008, 8:35 AM
We just got the cheapest TomTom they sell and took a trip North to Maine to see my Daughter. This little unit did a great job keeping us on track. Also kept us away from the cities. If we traveled a lot we would have looked into a more expensive one.

Jim Becker
03-16-2008, 9:25 AM
Jim, is this something that is specific to the Megellan GPS?

No, they are travel books; example: Hidden Arizona

The GPS can be useful in finding the places, however, once you know the address... :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-16-2008, 10:19 AM
I believe he's speaking of the mapping company used. There are 2 big ones, NAVTEQ and Tele Atlas. Garmin and Magellan use NAVTEQ, Tom Tom uses Tele Atlas. There are loads of articles online about the two. Take some time in reading some of them and you'll be much better educated when you do decide to purchase.

What he said. Twice.

Peter Stahl
03-16-2008, 11:56 AM
No, they are travel books; example: Hidden Arizona

The GPS can be useful in finding the places, however, once you know the address... :D

Thanks Jim, I live a sheltered life, never heard of these books. Gonna have to check them out.

Jim Becker
03-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Pete, the Hidden series is wonderful because they highlight stuff you'd never find in a typical travel guide...things that the locals and other travelers recommend.

Peter Stahl
03-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Pete, the Hidden series is wonderful because they highlight stuff you'd never find in a typical travel guide...things that the locals and other travelers recommend.

Yea, like all those places your doctor tells you not to eat at, lol.

Dennis Peacock
03-16-2008, 12:46 PM
We got a $99 deal on a top of the line TomTom and we've really liked it a LOT!!!! Had it about 6 months now and still like it even today.