PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly chuck

Jerry Allen
02-25-2008, 11:57 AM
I have had two older Nova standard chucks that have served me well for a few years. Based on comments by Bernie and others, I bought a Grizzly chuck for $100. It is pretty nice and I really like using the key, but the stock 2" jaws are too smooth.

I wonder if I can cut or grind a groove on the inboard side to improve the tenon grip? I rarely use a recess grip any more because I don't trust it as much and there is a greater chance of cracking the piece.

My older Nova jaws have a lip which works well. The Nova instructions say to not use a dovetail on a tenon grip to improve the bite, but I usually still do one without any problems. On the Grizzly, I have tried both, but cannot seem to get a reasonable bite. Sometimes it doesn't matter on an esy piece.
I have a spare set of Nova jaws that I tried on the Grizzly which worked okay. The numbers did not match 1 to 1, etc., and I had to switch positions to get equal/circular spacing. Can't figure out exactly why that is.
Also, I note that the Nova uses beefier screws and that I have to be careful with the Grizzly slides as the screws can strip more more easily. Other than that, the Grizzly is a pretty good chuck. Sorry I missed that SN2 deal at Lee Valley though!

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2008, 1:01 PM
Check out the Vicmarc VM100. The jaws for it fit my griz chuck. I have the Vicmarc shark jaws on the grizzly chuck. Haven't had a problem with screws stripping or having a tenon slip with the shark jaws. I have a second Grizzly chuck with the Vicmarc cole jaws on it.

Jerry Allen
02-25-2008, 2:34 PM
I saw some Vicmarc jaws the other day and they were not cheap. Seems a shame to have to put a Cadillac bumper on a Ford. I may try to use a grinder or cutoff wheel since I am using it with the Nova jaws right now anyway.
Do you know if the other jaws offered by Grizzly are worth a try?

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2008, 3:48 PM
Don't know Jerry. I would hate to venture a guess. I had just bought a couple of sets of the Vicmarc jaws for the 2 Griz chuck's. I bought the shark jaws for one and the pin jaws for the other.