PDA

View Full Version : Join(T)er

Peter Quadarella
02-25-2008, 10:59 AM
As someone new to woodworking I have a question that I haven't seen addressed. What's the deal with the word Jointer? Everyone I've spoken to pronounces it as if there is a silent "T". I say it with the T as I can't wrap my head around a word with a silent T - never heard of such a thing. Comments?

Sam Yerardi
02-25-2008, 11:11 AM
If you're talking about a machine jointer or hand tool jointer, I pronounce the 'T'. 'Joiner' is a very old term that is still used. A 'Joiner' is also a term used to describe a tradesman, i.e., a Wood Joiner, Cabinetmaker, etc.

Travis Gauger
02-25-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm no expert and use a lot of words wrong, but I use the "T" when talking about a machine that is used to face and edge joint wood with. I use Joiner, when talking about a machine like a biscuit joiner. I'm probably way off in left field, but... my $.02

Mike Cutler
02-25-2008, 11:27 AM
In New England it's a Joinahh',or a join-R'.:D

Ahyup naybor, righch 'bout he-ahr,we lite up r pyps'. ;)

Chris Padilla
02-25-2008, 11:41 AM
I say the T in jointer and I don't think I've ever used the word "joiner" to describe such things. Here is Encarta's take:

join·er (plural join·ers) noun

1. maker of wooden parts of maker of wooden parts of buildings: somebody who makes wooden components for buildings, especially finished woodwork

2. enthusiastic participant: somebody who readily joins clubs, societies, or organizations ( informal )

joint·er (plural joint·ers) noun

1. tool for shaping mortar: a tool for pointing the mortar in brickwork or stonework after it has been laid

2. plane for shaping joints: a long plane used to shape the edges of planks into joints

Peter Quadarella
02-25-2008, 4:05 PM
Sorry, to be clear I was talking about either the hand plane Jointer, or the machine that flattens, Jointer. I know there are things that are actually spelled joiner (and pronounced that way, naturally). Biscuit joiners are typically spelled/pronounced that way for example.

But it seems like everyone around (lots of Northerners in Charlotte too)here pronounces the word JoinTer as Joiner.

FWIW, I am not a native Charlottean, I am from Brooklyn, NY, and moved here 4 years ago.

Richard M. Wolfe
02-25-2008, 4:34 PM
Travis is right. I have seen a couple guys nearly come to blows over the words. The jointer is for trueing a board (putting a joint on it), and a joiner is for attaching things, as in a biscuit joiner.

Let's see, you've got miter joints, lap joints, beer joints.......not to mention the funny cigarettes. :D