PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Bowl Question

David Pearson
02-25-2008, 9:02 AM
I turned my first natural edge bowl yesterday out of a piece of walnut I salvaged from a firewood pile. What is the best finish for a natural edge bowl and should the finish be brushed onto the bark? I used tung oil and beeswax, but didn't put anything on the bark rim. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

jack richington
02-25-2008, 9:13 AM
On my natural edge bowls, I have sometimes done different things...soaked bark in
CA (if it looked or felt hinky)..or if not I soak in shellac..just to stiffen and maybe? act a little like glue??? Seems to have worked for me

Pat Salter
02-25-2008, 9:18 AM
I'm a tung oil fan myself. I also just finished a black walnut NE bowl. I satuarate everything in tung oil. brush it on liberally. wipe it off, do about 3 coats, then buff and wax. you need to do something to the bark because it will dry at a VERY differant rate than the rest. For my experience, soaking/brushing the tung oil in helps to stabilize it.

Glenn Hodges
02-25-2008, 10:18 AM
For years I used tung oil, turpentine, polyureathene equal parts mixture, but now I only use lacquer on the bark and wood.

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I use either Lacquer or soak with Antique Oil.